Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 24, 2011
8:12:31 PM
View profile
Where is our PBS station???

When we signed up for Verse, we were told that both of our local PBS stations would be carried.  When we got the service, we found out that only one of the stations is carried.  Why on earth would AT&T not carry all possible PBS stations??  With all the lousy programming that is available, surely AT&T can carry three or four good stations. 

We would drop AT&T right now if it were not for the fact that we're learning about OTA TV and plan to avail ourselves of it.  Maybe it'll turn out to be so good we can drop AT&T altogether. 

Alternatively, does anyone know how we can get our local PBS station via AT&T?  It is not on their list, and a phone call confirmed that they do not carry it.  Thanks!

When we signed up for Verse, we were told that both of our local PBS stations would be carried.  When we got the service, we found out that only one of the stations is carried.  Why on earth would AT&T not carry all possible PBS stations??  With all the lousy programming that is available, surely AT&T can carry three or four good stations. 

We would drop AT&T right now if it were not for the fact that we're learning about OTA TV and plan to avail ourselves of it.  Maybe it'll turn out to be so good we can drop AT&T altogether. 

Alternatively, does anyone know how we can get our local PBS station via AT&T?  It is not on their list, and a phone call confirmed that they do not carry it.  Thanks!

Where is our PBS station???

13 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 8:32:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

mgirard wrote:

Our PBS station here in St. Louis, KETC Channel 9, consists of the main channel that is carried on U-Verse in both SD and HD, as well as three sub channels which are not carried on U-Verse. Unfortunately, U-Verse does not carry sub channels which I assume the PBS station that you are not receiving is one.

The solution is to have an an antenna for OTA-TV and a converter box if your extra television is not a high definition television. I am sure some of the more versed regulars on this forum can let you know what type of setup to do so that you can recieve both U-Verse and OTA TV on the same television.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

mgirard wrote:

Our PBS station here in St. Louis, KETC Channel 9, consists of the main channel that is carried on U-Verse in both SD and HD, as well as three sub channels which are not carried on U-Verse. Unfortunately, U-Verse does not carry sub channels which I assume the PBS station that you are not receiving is one.

The solution is to have an an antenna for OTA-TV and a converter box if your extra television is not a high definition television. I am sure some of the more versed regulars on this forum can let you know what type of setup to do so that you can recieve both U-Verse and OTA TV on the same television.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Where is our PBS station???

2 of 14 (19,732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 10:24:32 PM
(0)
Master

As dwinth said an OTA will solve this just make sure you get an VHF/UHF design because they have been known to swap and move from one band to the other and most advertised HDTV antennas are of the UHF band so a good 

Channel Master or Wineguard will work.

As dwinth said an OTA will solve this just make sure you get an VHF/UHF design because they have been known to swap and move from one band to the other and most advertised HDTV antennas are of the UHF band so a good 

Channel Master or Wineguard will work.

3 of 14 (19,709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 7:00:24 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Dead_Terrorist on Mar 25, 2011 at 7:01:35 AM

You don't mention what market you live in so it's difficult to opine.  AT&T is only "required" to carry 1 PBS station in a Designated Market Area (DMA). However, there are several where the carry more than one. I would venture to say it's more than likely a "distance" issue. (They can't pick up a good quality OTA signal to retransmit to their subs).  Post where you live and the call letters of the missing PBS someone will probably reply...

Unless you are referrig to the digital sub-channels which several folks have already responded.

You don't mention what market you live in so it's difficult to opine.  AT&T is only "required" to carry 1 PBS station in a Designated Market Area (DMA). However, there are several where the carry more than one. I would venture to say it's more than likely a "distance" issue. (They can't pick up a good quality OTA signal to retransmit to their subs).  Post where you live and the call letters of the missing PBS someone will probably reply...

Unless you are referrig to the digital sub-channels which several folks have already responded.

[ Edited ]
4 of 14 (19,664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2011 2:34:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Actually most, if not all, are on a direct feed to the VHO in every market and not OTA. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Actually most, if not all, are on a direct feed to the VHO in every market and not OTA. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 14 (19,564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2011 7:36:53 AM
(0)
Tutor

You can access PBS online. You can hook up your computer to your TV and use your Att Internet Connection to bypass the fact that Att TV does not have PBS and use Att Internet to watch PBS.... Rediculoise. <---Spelled wrong to show emphasis.

You can access PBS online. You can hook up your computer to your TV and use your Att Internet Connection to bypass the fact that Att TV does not have PBS and use Att Internet to watch PBS.... Rediculoise. <---Spelled wrong to show emphasis.

6 of 14 (19,502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2011 2:40:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Mar 29, 2011 at 2:42:29 PM

mgirard wrote:

What zip code are you in?

In Indianapolis, we get WFYI 20 from Indy and WTIU 30 from Bloomington.  

mgirard wrote:

What zip code are you in?

In Indianapolis, we get WFYI 20 from Indy and WTIU 30 from Bloomington.  

[ Edited ]
7 of 14 (19,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 12:27:38 PM
(0)
Moved for better exposure

Phil-101 • Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution.
You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

8 of 14 (18,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2012 9:40:03 AM
(0)
Mentor

I do not watch PBS stations but is not PBS a network of stations that show the same programming on all the channels?  That is the way it is in Georgia.  PBS stations are throughout the state but they all show the same programs with the exception of Atlanta which has an additional PBS station that show local content.

I do not watch PBS stations but is not PBS a network of stations that show the same programming on all the channels?  That is the way it is in Georgia.  PBS stations are throughout the state but they all show the same programs with the exception of Atlanta which has an additional PBS station that show local content.

9 of 14 (18,135 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2012 12:53:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

PBS is a network of stations, but the local affiliates are often owned by a state network of stations (who usually operate in lockstep).  Otherwise, the scheduling of PBS shows on PBS stations is pretty haphazard, unlike the experience of NBC, CBS, et al.

Wikipedia has a decent article on PBS and sort of helps dilieniate the differences.

PBS is a network of stations, but the local affiliates are often owned by a state network of stations (who usually operate in lockstep).  Otherwise, the scheduling of PBS shows on PBS stations is pretty haphazard, unlike the experience of NBC, CBS, et al.

Wikipedia has a decent article on PBS and sort of helps dilieniate the differences.

10 of 14 (18,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 5:10:48 PM
(0)
Contributor

We just got U-verse installed today, and my wife is furious.  Both PBS Create and PBS Q are no longer available in the Austin area.

Now I have this year contract with ATT and a wife who will be giving me grief for the next year.  Why cannot ATT provide this local access?

I, personally, would like to see Al Jezerra and RT TV.  I guess that is just programing large company like ATT doesn't want us to see.  Of course, neither does Time Warner.

We just got U-verse installed today, and my wife is furious.  Both PBS Create and PBS Q are no longer available in the Austin area.

Now I have this year contract with ATT and a wife who will be giving me grief for the next year.  Why cannot ATT provide this local access?

I, personally, would like to see Al Jezerra and RT TV.  I guess that is just programing large company like ATT doesn't want us to see.  Of course, neither does Time Warner.

11 of 14 (8,570 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 5:53:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

givememore wrote:

U-Verse does not carry substations at this time for the most part. The exception is ME-TV in a lot of markets.

As far as Al Jazerra American and RT-TV, you can make your requests on this site:   http://uversechannels.att.com/

Always check the channel lineup before you sign up for any television provider, especially if you have a contract.

givememore wrote:

U-Verse does not carry substations at this time for the most part. The exception is ME-TV in a lot of markets.

As far as Al Jazerra American and RT-TV, you can make your requests on this site:   http://uversechannels.att.com/

Always check the channel lineup before you sign up for any television provider, especially if you have a contract.

12 of 14 (8,559 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 6:45:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

You can pick up both those stations OTA (Over the Air) with an antenna (rabbit ears work fine):

PBS Create is channel 18.2

PBS Q is channel 18.3

You can pick up both those stations OTA (Over the Air) with an antenna (rabbit ears work fine):

PBS Q is channel 18.3

13 of 14 (8,533 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 7:23:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

skeeterintexas wrote:

PBS Q is channel 18.3

The problem with OTA is not being able to record the digital subchannels using the AT&T DVR and that rabbit ears work when you are close enough (but not too close toi get overload).  I just wish that AT&T would carry the DTV subs.

Yes, checking the line-ups is a personal responsibility.

skeeterintexas wrote:

PBS Q is channel 18.3

The problem with OTA is not being able to record the digital subchannels using the AT&T DVR and that rabbit ears work when you are close enough (but not too close toi get overload).  I just wish that AT&T would carry the DTV subs.

Yes, checking the line-ups is a personal responsibility.

14 of 14 (8,524 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments