When will U-verse be streaming the Netflix Super HD that will include 3D?

Contributor

When will U-verse be streaming the Netflix Super HD that will include 3D?

Message 1 of 23 (15,435 Views)
Expert

Re: When will U-verse be streaming the Netflix Super HD that will include 3D?

Uverse doesn't stream Netflix at all, afaik.  Netflix is a separate subscription service supplier that is in direct competition with Uverse.  I think they would have a serious issue with ATT if they started streaming Netflix offerings.

Message 2 of 23 (15,405 Views)
Contributor

Greetings,

The person replying to your message has no understanding of the issue.  I am also wanting to stream Netflix Super HD (3D content).  In order for Netflix customers to received Netflix 3D content, ATT Uverse must allow Netflix Open Connect to work on their system.  The following link can further describe the issue https://signup.netflix.com/openconnect.  Uverse needs to allow certain ports to be opened in order to allow 3D streaming, it cannot be done on the user side.  I welcome any useful information that will help us enjoy Netflix 3D streaming.

Message 3 of 23 (15,294 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

savvy17 wrote:

Greetings,

The person replying to your message has no understanding of the issue.  I am also wanting to stream Netflix Super HD (3D content).  In order for Netflix customers to received Netflix 3D content, ATT Uverse must allow Netflix Open Connect to work on their system.  The following link can further describe the issue https://signup.netflix.com/openconnect.  Uverse needs to allow certain ports to be opened in order to allow 3D streaming, it cannot be done on the user side.  I welcome any useful information that will help us enjoy Netflix 3D streaming.

What RCSMG stated was a true statement, i.e. U-Verse does not stream Netflix at this time. He did not get into the technical portion of what AT&T needs to do in order for U-Verse subscribers to get Netflix streaming.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 23 (15,281 Views)
ACE - Master

dwinth wrote:

savvy17 wrote:

Greetings,

What RCSMG stated was a true statement, i.e. U-Verse does not stream Netflix at this time. He did not get into the technical portion of what AT&T needs to do in order for U-Verse subscribers to get Netflix streaming.

I would recommend that the Original Poster (OP) send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care  They should be able to engage the Technical support folks to find out what / if any action that AT&T is planning.  It also puts a bug in AT&T's ear that folks are clammoring for this to happen.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 23 (15,147 Views)
Contributor

Uverse does stream Netflix!  It does not allow Super HD content to be streamed.  The issue needs to be resolved between Uverse and Netflix.  If you look at the link I posted, Uverse had to compy to Netflix Open Connect.

Message 6 of 23 (15,139 Views)

savvy17 wrote:

Uverse does stream Netflix!  It does not allow Super HD content to be streamed.  The issue needs to be resolved between Uverse and Netflix.  If you look at the link I posted, Uverse had to compy to Netflix Open Connect.

No, UVerse does not stream Netflix, UVerse provides you with a means to recieve Netflix via the internet. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 7 of 23 (15,136 Views)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

savvy17 wrote:

No, UVerse does not stream Netflix, UVerse provides you with a means to recieve Netflix via the internet. 

That's not what he means.  There is something that AT&T has to configure to allow Netflix Super HD 3D (or whatever it is) to pass through the U-Verse equipment. 

Did I say that riight, savvvy17 and boatapollo? Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 23 (15,086 Views)

dhascall wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

savvy17 wrote:

That's not what he means.  There is something that AT&T has to configure to allow Netflix Super HD 3D (or whatever it is) to pass through the U-Verse equipment. 

I understand that, but, AT&T does not stream Netflix.  A Roku device streams Netflix, some tv's stream Netflix, but AT&T does not stream Netflix.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 9 of 23 (15,068 Views)

oufanindallas wrote:

dhascall wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

savvy17 wrote:

I understand that, but, AT&T does not stream Netflix.  A Roku device streams Netflix, some tv's stream Netflix, but AT&T does not stream Netflix.

According to this, in order for a device that cen stream Netflix (e.g. a Roku box) to be able to receive Super HD, the underlying ISP (i.e. U-Verse Internet service) must be configured to handle Netflix's Content Delivery Network, called OpenConnect.  As of the beginning of 2013, only Cablevision and Google Fiber were.

It has nothing to do with Netflix (not) being part of U-Verse Cable.

Message 10 of 23 (15,042 Views)

[ Edited ]

I think ATT and others don't want give up the exrta bandwidth needed for full HD or super HD 3D content 

from Netflix due to Netflix high traffic volume.  Whether it is a business or technical decision it's hard for me to say .

could be both .

I believe Netflix did offer to provide Content providers with the equipment for open connect either on the providers   premisesorremotely .(Amazon cloud?) but that still leaves the bandwith issues .

It could also be security isues with open connect . 

Message 11 of 23 (14,711 Views)
ACE - Master

preferred user wrote:

I think ATT and others don't want give up the exrta bandwidth needed for full HD or super HD 3D content 

from Netflix due to Netflix high traffic volume.  Whether it is a business or technical decision it's hard for me to say .

could be both .

I believe Netflix did offer to provide Content providers with the equipment for open connect either on the providers   premisesorremotely .(Amazon cloud?) but that still leaves the bandwith issues .

If it's soley a business decision, is that not running afoul of this so called "Net Neutrality?"

Message 12 of 23 (14,705 Views)
ACE - Professor

dhascall wrote:

preferred user wrote:

from Netflix due to Netflix high traffic volume.  Whether it is a business or technical decision it's hard for me to say .

could be both .

If it's soley a business decision, is that not running afoul of this so called "Net Neutrality?"

Depends on if it's AT&T's desicion or Netflix's

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
Message 13 of 23 (14,677 Views)
Expert

Message 14 of 23 (14,655 Views)
ACE - Master

texasguy37 wrote:

Here is an interesting article along those lines:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/01/timewarner-net-neutrality-foes-cry-foul-netflix-requirements...

Yep!  It takes both parties to make it happen.

Message 15 of 23 (14,609 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.