When are we getting dodger games?

Tutor

When are we getting dodger games?

I want to know when AT&T will decide to end this issue with Timewarner and get me back my Dodger games on TV.  Hopefully they read these threads because I'm going to give them one more week and then I'm off to Timewarner for my service.  I thought there would be more posts on this but I didn't find anything recent.

Message 1 of 16 (1,629 Views)
Mentor

Re: When are we getting dodger games?

I agree. Everyday I check the web to see if there is any news regarding this, but never find anything. Hopefully a deal is done soon or I will have to resort to Time Warner.

Message 2 of 16 (1,612 Views)
Scholar

Go here for the discussion that's been ongoing:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Will-the-new-Sportsnet-L-A-for-the-Los-Angeles-Dodgers-...

Don't be blaming AT&T, it's not their fault that Time Warner wants too much for access.

The stories below have been widely circulated on the web, so don't know how you could have missed thenm if you Googled for info about this:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-plaschke-20140402,0,1941938.column#...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-20140411,0,3635518,full.column

Message 3 of 16 (1,575 Views)
ACE - Professor

[ Edited ]

Dub3g wrote:

I want to know when AT&T will decide to end this issue with Timewarner and get me back my Dodger games on TV.  Hopefully they read these threads because I'm going to give them one more week and then I'm off to Timewarner for my service.  I thought there would be more posts on this but I didn't find anything recent.

The blame is on the Dodgers and Time Warner just as it is on the Astros and Comcast. Even Dodger announcer legend Vin Scully cannot watch the Dodgers on television when the Dodgers are on the road. Scully does not do road games anymore other than National League Western Division games. He is a Direct TV subscriber.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/vin-scully-cant-watch-the-dodgers-on-tv-in-his-own-home.html

http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/vin-scully-dodgers-tv/224812

I hope the original first time poster will come back and comment. I would hate to think that he is a One Post One and Done Poster. I also ask that the moderators combine this thread with the initial larger thread about this subject.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 16 (1,552 Views)

The only way you're going to see this channel is if you move to a TWC covered neighborhood.  Less than 30% of LA falls into this category.  I've heard Brighthouse also carries, but cannot confirm

TWC really screwed the fans over on this deal and they are trying to recoup their $8.5 BILLION investment.  They are trying to get $5/subscriber from the other providers and no one is taking that price. That's more than ESPN gets for multiple channels. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 5 of 16 (1,528 Views)
ACE - Professor

oufanindallas wrote:

The only way you're going to see this channel is if you move to a TWC covered neighborhood.  Less than 30% of LA falls into this category.  I've heard Brighthouse also carries, but cannot confirm

TWC really screwed the fans over on this deal and they are trying to recoup their $8.5 BILLION investment.  They are trying to get $5/subscriber from the other providers and no one is taking that price. That's more than ESPN gets for multiple channels. 

According to this Los Angeles Times article, Brighthouse in Bakersfield, California does carry SportsNetLa. The article states that, "Time Warner Cable did reach an agreement with Bright House Networks, which has subscribers in Bakersfield. However, Time Warner Cable is a partner of Bright House, so the accord comes as no surprise."

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/feb/24/entertainment/la-et-ct-dodgers-channel-launch-20140224

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 16 (1,519 Views)
Tutor

I was fully aware of the stories in the LA Times and other web sites reporting on the Direct Tv and Timewarner discussions. I was just surprised that I didn't find many recent posts on this forum. Maybe I was looking in the wrong section or something. In my original post I was saying that if uverse can't provide me a service I want then I will go to Timewarner to obtain that service. It's the same reason why I wouldn't go to Mcdonalds looking for a nice steak. A story printed today 4-19 in LA Times says that Direct Tv has decided to stop negotiating and will not carry Dodgers channel this year. So that does lead me to believe that uverse will follow their lead. Now I wouldn't care if I was charged an extra $4 to get the channel. I understand people being upset that don't watch baseball and were being charged for a channel they don't want. There are at least 100 channels that I pay for and never watch as well. Unfortunately I pay for them because uverse has them packaged into their tv bundles. Of course the fair thing to do would be for Timewarner to let other cable providers put the channel out as a premium channel so customers that wanted to pay for channel could and those that don't won't . Now Timewarner doesn't want that because as a business they will make more having cable providers charge all customers. Some may call it greed others will say it's what they need to do to make the $210 million dollar payment to the Dodgers this year. I am not one of the people that blame the Dodgers for this problem. The owners overpaid for the team knowing that the tv deal they would sign would earn them back their money as well as net them a profit. Now the Dodgers don't get to keep that $8.75 billion dollars all to themselves. Per the MLB's revenue sharing rule they will pay baseball $2 billion of that money by the time the 25 year contract is over. The main reason why the Dodgers have highest payroll in baseball is due to this deal. So in short no tv deal means a lot of the players we have would not have been affordable. Signing those players and the excitement surrounding the team enabled the Dodgers to sell 3 million tickets prior to opening day and thus showing ownership that when you put a great product on the field the fans will pay to see them. Like any other owner of a business they are out to turn a profit as well. So all those out there that say Dodgers sold out their fans by making this deal and causing the current problem I say that without the deal we wouldn't be talking about Dodgers making World Series appearances or that the $100 million spent on stadium renovations wouldn't have been possible either.This issue comes down to whether or not having this channel will cost uverse and direct tv customers. Right now they are clearly thinking it won't. They are willing to wait it out and hope that Timewarner comes back to them with a better deal in the future. Problem is that most fans aren't going to wait until next year to watch the Dodgers. I know plenty of people that are Dodger fans that are already signing up with Timewarner.  With no discussion on a deal planned for the near future the only way to watch your local Dodger team on tv is to switch cable providers. 

Message 7 of 16 (1,357 Views)
Expert

Go ahead and switch to Time Warner.  I'm sure that is exactly what Time Warner was hoping that you would do when they entered into this partnership with the Dodgers.

Message 8 of 16 (1,347 Views)
Mentor

I don't understand why people from Texas and Houston are in this discussion. If it were your sports teams and you couldn't watch them you would be just as mad. The amount of hate that other states have for CA is pitiful.

Message 9 of 16 (1,269 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

Lkrfan714 wrote:

I don't understand why people from Texas and Houston are in this discussion. If it were your sports teams and you couldn't watch them you would be just as mad. The amount of hate that other states have for CA is pitiful.

First, this is a public forum where all are free to comment and express their opinions within the rule of the forum.  Second, when any channel is added, it effects the cost for all customers, thus, this is a topic that impacts all of us not just those in California.  Third, apparently you have not seen some of the comments on this forum by fans of the Houston Astros who are upset that U-verse does not carry Comcast SportsNet Houston.

By the way, I lived in California before I moved to Texas!

Message 10 of 16 (1,258 Views)

@Lkrfan714 

1. Houston is in Texas

2. If it were just a matter of TWC wanting to charge $4/subscriber in the LA area then everyone else would probably stay out of the discussion and tell those in LA to pay up, however, it doesn't work like that, channels are not specific to one location with the exception of locals.  So when TWC wants $4 per subscriber, they are talking about all 5 Million UVerse subscribers.  Wouldn't be that bad for baseball fan but, Dodgers games are blacked out every where else so its $4 for a channel that somewhere 50K-100K would actually get benefit from.  Not much of an incentive for any provider to pick it up.  Ask Comcast how well their Comcast Sportsnet Houston is doing for them?  

TWC only covers about 30% of LA and Comcast only covers about 30% of Houston.  However, the Astros actually have a larger viewing area than the Dodgers so it effects more people.  The Astros coverage area is the entire state of Texas, Louisianna, Arkansas, Oklahoma and the eastern border of New Mexico.  But, like Sportsnet LA, no providers have picked up that channel due to the stupid amount of money Comcast wants.  Granted it's two teams that are effected since the Rockets are part of that network, but the Rockets are only available in the Houston area as there are more NBA teams nearby (Mavs, Spurs, Pelicans, Thunder).

3. Has nothing to do with hating on California, it has everything to do with hating on the fact that MLB and the NBA are all screwing their fans with these exclusive broadcast deals.  Most MLB teams have contracts with FoxSports or if they don't they are reasonable in their carriage fees and are carried by the different providers. I would love for UVerse to have all channels available, but not at the price some of them are trying to charge.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 11 of 16 (1,235 Views)
Scholar

Lkrfan714 wrote:

You've got two good replies so far, so here comes a third, expanding a little bit on both:

What you're wanting is AT&T to offer SportsNet LA locally, and I think AT&T has made that offer to Time Warner -- except I think it's Time Warner who's saying NO.

This is a reprise of the whole Longhorn Network carriage saga.  Pre-launch, practically nobody wanted to pay what ESPN was asking for it.  Through some "dealing" (bribery, in my terms), Grande Communications got the big bragging rights of being first, since being the Austin-area cable operator and not wanting a huge backlash in the primary viewing area.  Then Verizon signed on for their FiOS.  DirecTV was balking and so was AT&T.   When AT&T did announce a deal, ESPN must have been grumbling the whole way.  Deal is:  U-450 subscribers ONLY.  No other tier below it, even with the Sports Pack or HD Premium added on, gets access to it.  So SURE Longhorn gets a place high-up on the sports channels (it resides right below ESPN's grouping) and AT&T can make it available to ALL of their subscriber landscape, BUT because of the price ESPN wanted, that's what AT&T said they'd do.  So they're not soaking all customers with the cost, only those who WANT the channel pay extra.

This is what I think the sticking point is.  Remember:  Time Warner has patted itself on the back for YEARS for "putting their customers first and not letting them get screwed over price", but now that they're getting that treatment, they don't likey so much.

Message 12 of 16 (1,206 Views)
ACE - Professor

vid30jk wrote:

When AT&T did announce a deal, ESPN must have been grumbling the whole way.  Deal is:  U-450 subscribers ONLY.  No other tier below it, even with the Sports Pack or HD Premium added on, gets access to it.  So SURE Longhorn gets a place high-up on the sports channels (it resides right below ESPN's grouping) and AT&T can make it available to ALL of their subscriber landscape, BUT because of the price ESPN wanted, that's what AT&T said they'd do.  So they're not soaking all customers with the cost, only those who WANT the channel pay extra.

Actually Texas residents get the channel if they subscribe to U200 or greater.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
Message 13 of 16 (1,204 Views)
Scholar

I did leave out that sorta important detail, however I attribute this to the similar way that AT&T has a deal with distributing Fox Sports Ohio.  FSOH is available in their territory areas but not available nationally.

What I *do* wish they would change is the national feed of Fox Sports North, from the Milwaukee feed to the Minnesota feed.  Hardly a major hockey fan, but Minnesota feed has the perennially top-performing Gophers games, and also the smaller leagues of Minnesota.

Something we shouldn't forget:  It was AT&T who was the FIRST to reach a distribution deal for the upcoming SEC Network.  So AT&T is not necessarily the aggressor in these situations.

Message 14 of 16 (1,188 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

vid30jk wrote:

I did leave out that sorta important detail, however I attribute this to the similar way that AT&T has a deal with distributing Fox Sports Ohio.  FSOH is available in their territory areas but not available nationally.

What I *do* wish they would change is the national feed of Fox Sports North, from the Milwaukee feed to the Minnesota feed.  Hardly a major hockey fan, but Minnesota feed has the perennially top-performing Gophers games, and also the smaller leagues of Minnesota.

Something we shouldn't forget:  It was AT&T who was the FIRST to reach a distribution deal for the upcoming SEC Network.  So AT&T is not necessarily the aggressor in these situations.

The reason for the Wisconsin feed is that U-verse has customers in Wisconsin.  There are no U-verse customers in Minnesota.

Message 15 of 16 (1,149 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.