When answering a call line is dead

When answering a call line is dead

This does not happen all the time but has happened 4 times this week. ( I have ATT uverse voice.)  I receive a phone call and when I pick up there is nothing there but a dead line.  I can see on the caller ID who the caller was so I hang up and try to return the call.  However, there is still nothing but a dead line.....no dial tone.  I hang up again and wait a few minutes.  Still no dial tone. Sometimes the caller will have left a message for me on the ATT voice service but my home answering machine does not take a message as the line has gone dead.  After about 10 minutes the dial tone returns to my ATT uverse phone.  Something is wrong.  I'm afraid to call repair as if they send out a repair tech and they can't find anything wrong I'll be charged a repair call fee. But this doesn't happen all the time so I don't know if it will do the "dead line" thing when the repair guy is here. 

Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on here????

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 16
Employee

Re: When answering a call line is dead

New(er) install or older?
If new previous service ATT POTS service or another provider (cable)?
...if POTS, IW phones still connected to outside drop line
...if cable provider, still have phone jack plugged into cable modem

If older (and even newer) possible loose connection inside wiring (billable)
...also possible flaky port on RG, RG needs to be replaced, if leased (3800, 3801, inid, 589) no charge.
....if you own the RG (3600, 510, etc) then purchasing new RG.

Have you tried a different phone or cable between phone and wall? Just to rule out your personal equipment.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 16

Thanks for your quick reply.

We have had ATTuverse service for about 2 years (before that a ATT landline) but got a new gateway about 6 months ago.  Phone is plugged directly into the gateway.  This problem started about a month ago but seems to be more frequent this week. I just got off a chat with a guy in India who did a factory reset.  

I have had this problem on several phones.  They are not plugged into the wall but the main phone is plugged into the gateway and all phones are satelites of this phone.

Any ideas what is happening?

Message 3 of 16
ACE - Expert

gahawkeye - Check your optrions on the phone features. Sounds like it may be auto sending to voice mail based on one of the forwarding options.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 16

I checked the options on the phone features.  Nothing is set up to send to voice mail.

Message 5 of 16
ACE - Expert

SCTraveler - Two other thoughts -

Is the phone system wireless? Does it have call blocking? Can the numbers be blocked in the wireless phone system & it stays dead for a short time. Or, there could be a defect in the wireless phone system that is acting like described below. To test try a plain phone.

A second possibility I have experienced with house wiring on a POTS line. A wire was trapped between the metal mounting parts on a wall jack. It was not actually making contact to appear as an off-hook, but ring voltage was enough to make a temporary short, tripping the ring. Boils down to wiring fault. But, you do not have any wiring.

Only thing after that would be a similar connection problem upstream in the location att converts from voip to pots. May be reason it happens on some calls & not others. Keep a diary of calling numbers to see if they have a commonality upstream.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 16

Keeping a log is a good idea. I'm going to do that. 

In retrospect we should probably have kept our landline with ATT instead of going with the uverse phone.  The TV and internet in the uverse work just fine but this uverse phone has been a pain on and off since we got it 2 years ago. In contrast, the ATT landline worked flawlessly for 26 years....not even one service call.  I wonder if we can go back to the landline???  Anyone know if this is possible?

Message 7 of 16
Employee

You can return to POTS, I have seen customers with medical monitoring equipment and those on prison release both requiring hardwired phone service not tied to VOIP services. In the case of prison, when customers uverse service went down, the police came and picked up their son till service could be restored.

A install ticket will need to be created, somene 18 or over will need to be home, the tech will run jumper at crossbox, work in the NID, and reconfigure your inside wiring.
Note: if your currently in a bundled promotion, removing VOIP is considered breaking your bundle, you other services will revert to monthly rates losing your discounts.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 16

We don't have medical monitoring equipment or prison release issues (thankfully).  However, this morning we had something different happen with this phone.  Went to make a call, dial tone was present, but when I dialed the number all I got was more dial tone.  I couldn't place a call.  So it was back to the trusty cell phone that always works. 

Called tech support and the guy in India didn't seem to understand the problem.  It's been going on for 10 days with only hit or miss ATT uverse phone.  Two different issues.  Anyway a tech will be coming this afternoon to see what the problem is.  Certainly hope he can fix this problem.  We had a similar problem a couple of months ago and the tech told us that the home phone wiring was faulty and plugged our phone directly into the ATT gateway. And we bought new phones.  Now we're having more problems.  I am thinking about changing to a different service if this can't be fixed.  So frustrating. I wish we had never gotten rid of our trusty, no problem land line.  This VOIP system stinks. 

Message 9 of 16
ACE - Expert

SCTraveler - Did your phone get switched from tone to pulse? Pulse does not dial on VOIP.

Also, there were a couple of threads about an att phone being incompatible with VOIP - model 17939.

What phone do you have?
Message 10 of 16

Phones are Panasonic KX-TG6645B DECT 6.0 Cordless Phone with Answering System.  I have no idea how to check if the phone got switched from tone to pulse. 

However, we had similar issues with our old phones and that is when the tech guy plugged the phone into the gateway instead of using the house wiring. 

Message 11 of 16
ACE - Expert

SCTraveler - Sorry, I cannot find my panny phone manual. It must have gotten in with some stuff that went to the recycle. I tried to get the manual for your phone, but was not successful. I will try again later & post the option. It may be unlikely that it is the cause, but, I believe if it is a possible cause it has to be checked.
Message 12 of 16
ACE - Expert

SCTraveler -
I found a manual for a panny phone on line. Here is how you set the dialing -

Dialing mode
If you cannot make calls, change this setting
according to your telephone line service. The
default setting is “Tone”.
“Tone”: For tone dial service.
“Pulse”: For rotary/pulse dial service.
1 MMENUN#120
2 MbN: Select the desired setting.
3 MSAVEN a MOFFN

Copy/paste brought the extra M/N at the beginning & end of words
Message 13 of 16

Thanks aviewer for taking the time to look up how to change my phone to "tone"!

We had an ATT repair guy at the house yesterday afternoon and he gave us a new gateway.  We get a lot of power outages/surges in this area and he said that may have done something to the old one.  In addition to which he found some unusual wiring that had not been taken off by a previous repair guy a couple of months ago when we were told that our inside house wiring was not working anymore.  So, anyway, this repair guy yesterday really seemed to be sharp and knew what he was doing.  I am hoping (fingers crossed) that this will fix the problem. 

Message 14 of 16
ACE - Expert

SCTraveler - Thanks for closing the loop. I, too, hope it is the solution. When the fix is not easily found it is extremely frustrating.
Message 15 of 16
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support