What's up with the Fox Movie Channel (792) picture?

What's up with the Fox Movie Channel (792) picture?

Recently, it appears that Fox Movie Channel has started sending an anamorphic picture on channel 792. The result is an ugly "squeezed" picture. This can be worked around on an HDTV by using the Zoom/Stretch feature of the U-verse STB, but those with a 4:3 CRT are S O L. It could be that somebody is removing the overscan and therefore the widescreen signaling information from the signal along the line somewhere. I remember I use to have to turn on overscan processing in my TV when watching this channel. This problem doesn't occur on the HD version (1792) of the channel.

I hope someone from AT&T reads this and gets it fixed.

Message 1 of 6
Guru

Re: What's up with the Fox Movie Channel (792) picture?

Watch it on 1792 instead.  That is what your HD tv is for....

Im not Smart! The Voices in my Head are!!
Message 2 of 6
ACE - Professor

I see the issue. It's a 4x3 picture, but instead of chopping the sides off, as you may expect, the whole "widescreen" picture is squished.

For the few remaining TVs that aren't 16x9, I can see why this would be an issue.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6
ACE - Expert

baseballisback _ thanks for posting that observation. I agree. I just watched another show on another channel that I noticed the same distortion. I used the stretch to make it normal.

There is another method for some channels that is a letterbox inside the 4:3 window. This makes for a small picture on 4:3 and an even smaller picture on 16:9. The zoom3 setting will almost fill the screen.

I am glad to see the pictures move in the direction of the wide screen as the best or least distorted picture because it is the most common.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6
Scholar

This is a better explanation of what's going on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_and_scan

Most broadcasters have moved to the SD "rebroadcasting", if you will, of the HD feed, as it's more efficient, and that's why if you watch an old CRT TV the picture is letterboxed.  Periodically I record SD because of some compression differences between channels (more space on DVR with HD), and if I watch them on a workhorse 20-year old 32" JVC CRT, the local network channels are about the only ones which will insert some ads in fullscreen 4:3 that's absent any Pan-and-Scan.  The others that I've noticed are the AT&T-inserted commercials, whether their own promos or the "I've fallen and I can't get up"/shrinking hose ads.

My preference, if Pan-and-Scan is being utilized, is to use the HD feed.  But I'm sure that News Corp will change FXM over to what practically all of their other channels use, that being the letterboxed.  Sort of surprised they are still using the "old" method on one of their SD channels, since their FNC was one of the first in the US to move to anamorphic widescreen (2007 I think), way before the whole planned "digital TV transition".  IIRC, people thought it was strange at the time, but now it's very prevalent and you don't hear too much grousing.

Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
ACE - Master

While SOME of the movies/programming on 792 is pan-and-scan/letterboxed/cropped, some is squished which I find as annoying and disturbing as "stretch-o-vision" when they s-t-r-e-t-c-h out a standard 4:3 program to fill in the screen when being shown on an HD feed.

Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support