What other HD channels are left for Att Uverse?

Scholar

What other HD channels are left for Att Uverse?

We got a tons of Hd channels, more than Comcast, and Satellite combined. I would like to see Blaze, Revision3 and Epix HD!
Message 1 of 56
ACE - Master

Re: What other HD channels are left for Att Uverse?


billmich wrote:

I have long advocated that in order to save bandwidth, providors should not carry a SD channel if a HD version is available. As long as equipment is provided (and it certainly is with UVERSE) to downscale the resolution to 480I (SD) then what is the point of carrying both ESPN SD and ESPN HD?

 

I know that UVERSE does not operate like regular cable and SAT companies, but just how many SDE channels would be left over if you took away all these duplicated?

Some foreign language and a few sports RSN's?


There are situations where a SD version of a channel is necessary, like if there's a recording conflict.

 

If you are on a limited profile where you can record 4 programs but only 3 can be HD and the 4th has to be SD, removing all SD channels that have a duplicate would be problematic.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 31 of 56
ACE - Expert

Re: What other HD channels are left for Att Uverse?

billmich - I like your point - even for the U-verse case. I wonder if there are opportunities for savings.

I think it would mesh well with dropping the 1xxx needed for HD. I can see that at&t would have no incentive to swap the SD & HD number schemes. But, if some savings are possible, maybe we could modernize the numbering.

Many that came from satellite have complained that they should not have to control HD vs SD. The roadblock was that some need SD channels when they do not have full 4 HD coming into the house. Perhaps thjs could be made more automatic. That is, U-verse may not be channel quantity constrained, but there are bandwidth constraints because telephone copper is limiting.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 56
ACE - Master

Re: What other HD channels are left for Att Uverse?

I'm hopeful that at some point the HD Technology Fee will go away.  At one point it probably was a means to offset the cost of infrastructure.  But now, I'm fairly sure that it is a profit feeder, much like a regulatory fee that operators "collect and retain." Smiley Sad

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 33 of 56
ACE - Professor

Re: What other HD channels are left for Att Uverse?


billmich wrote:

I have long advocated that in order to save bandwidth, providors should not carry a SD channel if a HD version is available. As long as equipment is provided (and it certainly is with UVERSE) to downscale the resolution to 480I (SD) then what is the point of carrying both ESPN SD and ESPN HD?

 

I know that UVERSE does not operate like regular cable and SAT companies, but just how many SDE channels would be left over if you took away all these duplicated?

Some foreign language and a few sports RSN's?


 Because not everyone has an HDTV.

 

Also the number (not including FL, locals, or RSNs) hits around 60 channels that don't have HD equilivents, 16 being premiums. 

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 34 of 56
ACE - Master

Re: What other HD channels are left for Att Uverse?


americangame wrote:

billmich wrote:

I have long advocated that in order to save bandwidth, providors should not carry a SD channel if a HD version is available. As long as equipment is provided (and it certainly is with UVERSE) to downscale the resolution to 480I (SD) then what is the point of carrying both ESPN SD and ESPN HD?

 

I know that UVERSE does not operate like regular cable and SAT companies, but just how many SDE channels would be left over if you took away all these duplicated?

Some foreign language and a few sports RSN's?


 Because not everyone has an HDTV.

 


And some people have an HD TV but refuse to pay an HD fee (my sister!) Smiley Frustrated

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 35 of 56
ACE - Expert

Re: What other HD channels are left for Att Uverse?

These two would not be reasons for not sending the HD signal -
Because not everyone has an HDTV.
And some people have an HD TV but refuse to pay an HD fee (my sister!)
because the HD signal would be applied to the TV in the compatible format specified by the aspect setting.
It would be transparent if the picture fills a 4:3 screen or a 16:9 screen depending on the aspect setting.
It would be upsetting if a smaller (not screen filling) 16:9 picture was provided in either of these two cases.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 36 of 56
ACE - Master

Re: What other HD channels are left for Att Uverse?


aviewer wrote:
These two would not be reasons for not sending the HD signal -
Because not everyone has an HDTV.
And some people have an HD TV but refuse to pay an HD fee (my sister!)
because the HD signal would be applied to the TV in the compatible format specified by the aspect setting.
It would be transparent if the picture fills a 4:3 screen or a 16:9 screen depending on the aspect setting.
It would be upsetting if a smaller (not screen filling) 16:9 picture was provided in either of these two cases.

I guess you could have a choice on each individual box:  Pick one: 1)HD, 2)SD, 3)Both

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 37 of 56
Employee

Re: What other HD channels are left for Att Uverse?

For dhascall, If the HD fee disappears will only likely mean the price of service goes up $10 across the board.

Then instead of offering HD upgrade fee of $10, will offer a $10 discount for standard channels only.

Eliminates the person online believe bait/switch when order package, not realize it is SD only and has to be charged more for HD programming. (Happens rather frequently)
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 38 of 56
Highlighted
Master

Re: What other HD channels are left for Att Uverse?

As cheap as flat panels are now (cheaper than a tube replacement in a CRT) there really is not a good reason for anyone not to have one.( cheaper electrical usage and just better all around).

If the relatives are living on a fixed income buying them a TV made in this century would be one of the best gifts you could ever give.

As an installer I can't remember the last time I went into a home that still had a CRT at least 2 or more years ago same can be said for retirement homes and hospitals.

Rabbit ears on any flat panel TV will pick up locals in HD unless you live to far from the stations.

Message 39 of 56
ACE - Master

Re: What other HD channels are left for Att Uverse?


my thoughts wrote:
For dhascall, If the HD fee disappears will only likely mean the price of service goes up $10 across the board.

Then instead of offering HD upgrade fee of $10, will offer a $10 discount for standard channels only.

Eliminates the person online believe bait/switch when order package, not realize it is SD only and has to be charged more for HD programming. (Happens rather frequently)

Why?  I would say it is a true fact that the cost associated with integrating HD into the service should have been recapitulated by now.  That is typical phone / cable provider mentality:  If we cut someone a break, we'll make up for it somewhere else.  In other worlds it should now cost no more to offer HD than it did to offer SD and HD together.  Companies are thinking of profit only - if we cut that fee, we will cut $10/month, pure profit.

 

We had discussion a few years back that if Color TV was just coming into existence, TV providers would hacve a Color TV equipment fee, lol.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 40 of 56
Mentor

Re: What other HD channels are left for Att Uverse?


americangame wrote:


 Because not everyone has an HDTV.

 

Also the number (not including FL, locals, or RSNs) hits around 60 channels that don't have HD equilivents, 16 being premiums. 


What are the 16 premiums that don't have HD?

Message 41 of 56
ACE - Master

Re: What other HD channels are left for Att Uverse?


joelifer wrote:

americangame wrote:


 Because not everyone has an HDTV.

 

Also the number (not including FL, locals, or RSNs) hits around 60 channels that don't have HD equilivents, 16 being premiums. 


What are the 16 premiums that don't have HD?


Many Encore channels, Showtime Showcase and quite a few more.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 42 of 56
ACE - Expert

Re: What other HD channels are left for Att Uverse?


dhascall wrote:

Why?  I would say it is a true fact that the cost associated with integrating HD into the service should have been recapitulated by now.  That is typical phone / cable provider mentality:  If we cut someone a break, we'll make up for it somewhere else.  In other worlds it should now cost no more to offer HD than it did to offer SD and HD together.  Companies are thinking of profit only - if we cut that fee, we will cut $10/month, pure profit.

 


Companies continue to look at their quarterly sales and profit figures, as that's what investors are looking at to either become or stay shareholders.  Removing $10/month per subscriber of income over millions of subscribers is not going to happen without a bloodbath.  "Yes, Mr. Investor, we cut our sales revenue by $100,000,000 each quarter.  Yes, this and every quarter after..."  Even to a company the size of AT&T, that's a significant number.  I could see them raising rates an extra $4 over 3 years and removing the $10 on year 3 to cover it.  Smiley Wink

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 43 of 56
ACE - Master

Re: What other HD channels are left for Att Uverse?


JefferMC wrote:

dhascall wrote:

Why?  I would say it is a true fact that the cost associated with integrating HD into the service should have been recapitulated by now.  That is typical phone / cable provider mentality:  If we cut someone a break, we'll make up for it somewhere else.  In other worlds it should now cost no more to offer HD than it did to offer SD and HD together.  Companies are thinking of profit only - if we cut that fee, we will cut $10/month, pure profit.

 


Companies continue to look at their quarterly sales and profit figures, as that's what investors are looking at to either become or stay shareholders.  Removing $10/month per subscriber of income over millions of subscribers is not going to happen without a bloodbath.  "Yes, Mr. Investor, we cut our sales revenue by $100,000,000 each quarter.  Yes, this and every quarter after..."  Even to a company the size of AT&T, that's a significant number.  I could see them raising rates an extra $4 over 3 years and removing the $10 on year 3 to cover it.  Smiley Wink

 


Right but what if AT&T makes "HD Free, forever" and they market it as such and in return, they make 10x more than they did before.  Would that not be better?  

 

My contention is that pro-ATT set that has always said "they'll have to make up for it somewhere else" sounded like a warning bell: "if AT&T does away with the HD Tech Fee, the company will fail, fail, fail."  Of course they are not going to fail but the profit watchers will certainly notice.  I'm glad that you (Jeffer) finally called a spade, a spade and mentioned profit and investors.

 

As much as investors watch every line item on Financial reports, companies are finding that customers are doing the same.  I left T-Mobile (contracted) when I found on a voice only plan, I was paying almost 25% for a "regulatory fee."  So, I called and asked what it was, she said that it was a fee that they collect and retain to deal with a myriad of government regulations.  I shook my head real fast and I said "you collect and retain, as in you keep it for yourself?"  Yep: The CSR at one time in the call said "that they had to collect it" and backtracked to "we are allowed to collect it."   I went to Virginmobile not long after that and got way more for less.   AT&T might want to get creative with that fee.  Who knows the $ may roll in.

 

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 44 of 56

Re: What other HD channels are left for Att Uverse?

I don't pay the HD fee, but I'm on U450 and pay more for my package.  I can't remember if it was Dish or Direct that had to stop advertising the "Free HD" because all they did was raise their rates to cover the fee.  I'm sure that HD equipment has been more than paid for and I'd like to think that the fees involved are going into R&D to allow for more streams, increased internet speeds, etc, but I'm sure the majority is going into the profit column.

 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 45 of 56
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support