Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted May 11, 2013
2:12:14 PM
View profile
What new garbage channels are you blocking?

"Hide Channels" is becoming my most-used menu.  My most recent to block:

• Dr. Pepper (disguised as Play The Manliest Games Ever)
  • American Express (disguised as Travel Tips & Hotspots)
  • Lincoln cars
  • Lifelock Identity Theft
  • Texas Tourist Bureau

I'd hide HSN Shop by Remote if I could, but AT&T doesn't permit it.

"Hide Channels" is becoming my most-used menu.  My most recent to block:

• Dr. Pepper (disguised as Play The Manliest Games Ever)
  • American Express (disguised as Travel Tips & Hotspots)
  • Lincoln cars
  • Lifelock Identity Theft
  • Texas Tourist Bureau

I'd hide HSN Shop by Remote if I could, but AT&T doesn't permit it.

What new garbage channels are you blocking?

12 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2013 2:23:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

All of those channels were obviously advertising channels w/the obvious ID use even in the browser pip and were headed to be hid here too.

Only hassle is you have to page thru all the channels before those up in the HD range. Smiley Mad  Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

All of those channels were obviously advertising channels w/the obvious ID use even in the browser pip and were headed to be hid here too.

Only hassle is you have to page thru all the channels before those up in the HD range. Smiley Mad  Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: What new garbage channels are you blocking?

2 of 13 (979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2013 5:15:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

AT&T can add all of those channels they want. The advertisers PAY to be on and it helps offset the cost.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

AT&T can add all of those channels they want. The advertisers PAY to be on and it helps offset the cost.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 13 (892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2013 4:41:59 PM
(0)
Mentor

Another day, another channel to block....1087...Health Tips with Kelly Ripa.....

Another day, another channel to block....1087...Health Tips with Kelly Ripa.....

4 of 13 (790 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2013 5:12:44 PM
(0)
Teacher

New garbage channel just showed up: “Plan your escape to Arkansas” (Ch. 80/1080).  Thanks for the crap, U-VERSE!  (But shouldn’t it be “from?”)

P.S. Still waiting (years) for BBC America HD.  Pathetic.

New garbage channel just showed up: “Plan your escape to Arkansas” (Ch. 80/1080).  Thanks for the crap, U-VERSE!  (But shouldn’t it be “from?”)

P.S. Still waiting (years) for BBC America HD.  Pathetic.

5 of 13 (612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2013 11:38:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Please remember that the advertising channels PAY U-Verse to be carried. These payments allow us to have low bills.
Please remember that the advertising channels PAY U-Verse to be carried. These payments allow us to have low bills.

6 of 13 (515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2013 11:52:27 AM
(0)
Scholar

Same goes for all the U-Shop and Infomercial Channels. They get paid for that. Sure it takes up bandwidth, but bandwidth isn't as scarce as it used to be.

In the early 2000s, Time Warner Cable here used to blackout Animal Planet and BET between 2AM and 8AM and replace it with an Infomercial feed (Access TV, D2U - Direct2U Network) It was really irritating, not that I was a huge fan of BET or Animal Planet (BET was replaced with Infomercials all day on Sunday) but because I was paying for something that they were not giving me 24 hours. They finally stopped, I can't remember when.

Same goes for all the U-Shop and Infomercial Channels. They get paid for that. Sure it takes up bandwidth, but bandwidth isn't as scarce as it used to be.

In the early 2000s, Time Warner Cable here used to blackout Animal Planet and BET between 2AM and 8AM and replace it with an Infomercial feed (Access TV, D2U - Direct2U Network) It was really irritating, not that I was a huge fan of BET or Animal Planet (BET was replaced with Infomercials all day on Sunday) but because I was paying for something that they were not giving me 24 hours. They finally stopped, I can't remember when.

7 of 13 (512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 8:40:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Jeremy --The U-Verse equipment at your residence actually "calls for" the channels when you request them via your remote. Cable has introduced something similar called Switched Digital Video.

The days of "bandwidth" and whatnot are rapidly ending.
Jeremy --The U-Verse equipment at your residence actually "calls for" the channels when you request them via your remote. Cable has introduced something similar called Switched Digital Video.

The days of "bandwidth" and whatnot are rapidly ending.

8 of 13 (465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 4:39:04 PM
(0)
Teacher

New garbage channel to block -- Buy TV (1228).  Thanks for the quality programming, AT&T!  At least we finally have BBC America HD.  That only took four years.

New garbage channel to block -- Buy TV (1228).  Thanks for the quality programming, AT&T!  At least we finally have BBC America HD.  That only took four years.

9 of 13 (374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 6:50:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

banquo wrote:

As has been stated many times, the shopping channels are not garbage channels.  They are a good thing because they pay AT&T to be included in the channel lineup.  Other channels, such as BBC America HD, have to receive a carriage fee from AT&T for the right to be included in the line up.  

The bottom line is that adding shopping channels helps to keep the cost of your services down where as adding channels like BBC America HD help to increase the cost of your services.  May there be more shopping channels!

banquo wrote:

As has been stated many times, the shopping channels are not garbage channels.  They are a good thing because they pay AT&T to be included in the channel lineup.  Other channels, such as BBC America HD, have to receive a carriage fee from AT&T for the right to be included in the line up.  

The bottom line is that adding shopping channels helps to keep the cost of your services down where as adding channels like BBC America HD help to increase the cost of your services.  May there be more shopping channels!

10 of 13 (360 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 7:12:29 PM
(0)
Master

I have all the HD channels that I watch set to favorites 1

I have all my local HD channels set to fav 2

Rarely do I use the guide for that reason ,why surf through all those channels I am not interested in.

I have all the HD channels that I watch set to favorites 1

I have all my local HD channels set to fav 2

Rarely do I use the guide for that reason ,why surf through all those channels I am not interested in.

11 of 13 (358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 7:15:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

oz_1 wrote:

I think some do it just to have something to complain about!  Smiley Very Happy

oz_1 wrote:

12 of 13 (356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 7:22:52 PM
(0)
Master

texasguy37 wrote:

oz_1 wrote:

I agree but to have options and not use them I think is worse.

texasguy37 wrote:

oz_1 wrote:

I agree but to have options and not use them I think is worse.

13 of 13 (352 Views)