Ask a question

Posted Feb 14, 2013
7:54:21 PM
View profile
What is causing wireless authentication failure on NVG510 uVerse Router?

Hello,

A local shop just upgraded to uVerse a few days ago.  After initial setup, wireless network worked fine with default SSID and password.  Then within 24 hours, wireless devices could not connect.  Changing the password allowed devices to connect for a few hours then back to no connection.

Devices are claiming authentication failure.

Any ideas?

What is causing wireless authentication failure on NVG510 uVerse Router?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2013 8:27:50 PM
(0)
Guru
Probably a failure to obtain a new dhcp lease. When your computers can't connect, go into 'cmd' type 'ipconfig'. Under wireless adapter, you should see either a 192.168.1.x IP (which means not a dhcp issue) or it will have a 169.x.x.x network. Post the results please.

Re: What is causing wireless authentication failure on NVG510 uVerse Router?

2 of 6 (9,321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2013 9:01:15 PM
(0)
Contributor
I should add that the wired clients do not have this issue. Wouldn't your suggestion affect all the devices on the network?

3 of 6 (9,315 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2013 6:15:29 AM
(0)
Guru
I wasn't aware that you had wired connections as well. I'd try clearing out the network settings for the wireless computers (SSID with remembered WNK), then try to reconnect. Does a simple reboot to the modem do any justice? Also, I'd try going into the NVG510 and disabling wifi, saving, enabling wifi, then saving to toggle.

I'd also recommend downloading inSSIDer and see if there are any competing wireless signals in your environment that may be contributing.

4 of 6 (9,283 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2013 1:35:39 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having this exact same problem ATT has sent a technician out twice the first guy changed out the modem thinking this fixed the problem left because it works initially after the modem gets rebooted but drops after 10-15 minutes. Second guy said they get little training regarding actual WIFI issues and said it could be detection issues with metal roofs,fluorescent lights and aluminum beams however you can set any devices near the modem and they drop as well. Also the indicator light doesn't blink consistantly and stays solid a lot of the time. Anyways just got att a couple months ago and still no WIFI. Wired line works without fail from the modem ports. Still would like to get wireless.

HELP!!!!

5 of 6 (6,909 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 3:12:42 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi joepoke56,

Checkout this awesome article from SomeJoe7777 on How to minimize Wireless Interference,
Wireless Interference Troubleshooting

In there, there are some very helpful tips, but I would definitely look into the part about changing your wireless channel. Let us know how it goes.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 6 (6,835 Views)