Helpful Links

What can my line handle technically at 3,732 ft from CO

What can my line handle technically at 3,732 ft from CO

I am on the profile 12/1.5, I am 3,732 ft from the CO. I was wondering at this distance what speeds can a line support ?

Message 1 of 24
Highlighted
Employee

Re: What can my line handle technically at 3,732 ft from CO

CLLIs are not necessarily tied to a specific NPA-NXX combination, and the presence of a CLLI does not always indicate a central office.  For example, MTSOs (mobile telephone switching offices) have CLLIs but are not COs.  Various pieces of network equipment will have CLLIs.  The central office that serves my workplace, ATLNGAPP covers 75 NPA-NXX combinations, but does NOT have 75 CLLIs. Each of the switches within that CO has its own CLLI starting with ATLNGAPP.

As for COs being under the manhole covers:  COs are filled with massive banks of computerized parts, giant battery arrays, and backup generators (think "must be dry and air conditioned". Manhole rooms flood quite often.  Subjecting COs to flooding and temperature/humidity extremes would destroy the equipment and cause environmental issues due to the batteries.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 16 of 24

Thank you ptkdude, that is very interesting....and convincing...I was already becoming convinced that COs were not located under man hole covers...what a ridiculous idea! I guess I'm going to have to stop reading all those subversive ideas at this web site... {Inappropriate content removed};-}

Message 17 of 24

inappropriate content removed? I guess a link that has only a bunch of old txt files...probably from decades ago...that describes how to break in to various Bell Systems man-hole covers, what is down there... and sidewalk cans is inappropriate. That is, of course, something that I would never do. I'm too old for that kind of stuff..and I'd rather spend the last few years of my life out of a different kind of "can"....besides I could never lift a man hole cover anyway. I'm just surprised that the gestapo has allowed subversive links like this to exist on the internet.
Message 18 of 24
Employee

Manhole_Looking _Down.jpg

Manhole_Looking_towards_cable_entrance.jpg

This is a typical manhole. This one happens to be in a Chicago suburb, and had a grounding issue (which is why I was there).

This is not a CO, and there's no CO equipment that would survive this environment.

Your reference website is wrong, all of the sources you've offered are wrong. You apparently have no clue about this stuff, so I, for one, would appreciate it if you'd stop trolling.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 19 of 24

ScottMac: " I, for one, would appreciate it if you'd stop trolling." So, what started my interest in trying to learn more about the Telco system was sparked by one Marketing Troll letter that basically inferred that I had better call their numbers to sign up with UVerse because they were about to make changes to the system that would leave me without a phone. I didn't ask for this to begin with. AT&T UVerse Marketers started it all. So, if you think I'm being a pest then..well..that's too daammmnnn bad.
Message 20 of 24

If it walks like a duck, squawks like a duck then it is probably a duck. If it acts like a monopoly then it most likely is a monopoly. Yes, at one time they broke up the monopolies, in 1996, but then, since deregulation, they grew back into a monopoly again. We are given no choice in keeping the traditional land line form of communications...unless we agree to sign up with UVerse and all of their inherent problems that so many customers have suffered from. Or, at least, they want you to believe that POTS will cease to exist whenever they upgrade to FO. Our only other recourse is to go cable or wireless. The problem is, I believe, that AT&T UVerse has not been very upfront with us...it's all marketing hype meant to get us to "don't read the fine print..just sign on the dotted line". The only reason, I believe, that there is a blog like this one is because there have been many, many complaints by customers and the big wigs have sent their lowly ranking toadies to try to make things appear all better. PR bandaids. All part of their marketing smoke and mirrors.
Message 21 of 24
Employee

Thanks for the photos, ScottMac.  It's interesting to see what it actually looks like under there! 

Employee Contributor*
Message 22 of 24
Employee

NoFSTV-LinkTV-RT-NoDeal wrote:
If it walks like a duck, squawks like a duck then it is probably a duck. If it acts like a monopoly then it most likely is a monopoly. Yes, at one time they broke up the monopolies, in 1996, but then, since deregulation, they grew back into a monopoly again. We are given no choice in keeping the traditional land line form of communications...unless we agree to sign up with UVerse and all of their inherent problems that so many customers have suffered from. Or, at least, they want you to believe that POTS will cease to exist whenever they upgrade to FO. Our only other recourse is to go cable or wireless. The problem is, I believe, that AT&T UVerse has not been very upfront with us...it's all marketing hype meant to get us to "don't read the fine print..just sign on the dotted line". The only reason, I believe, that there is a blog like this one is because there have been many, many complaints by customers and the big wigs have sent their lowly ranking toadies to try to make things appear all better. PR bandaids. All part of their marketing smoke and mirrors.

POTs WILL cease to exist, and probably much earlier than you'd like to believe. It'll be replaced by LTE (and beyond) wireless.

As far as your "Walk like a duck" comment, in your case I think it's more like "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Maybe you need a new mask and a few more beans in your rattles.

Employee Contributor*
Message 23 of 24
Employee

ptkdude wrote:

Thanks for the photos, ScottMac.  It's interesting to see what it actually looks like under there! 

You're welcome! Up in the North here, many states use salt on our roads (Illinois and Michigan, for example).

After a snowfall, out comes the salt. At some point all that saltwater washes down into the manholes, causing the different metals to electrolyze / corrode. The metal ladder going into that hole had ~3/4" rungs at the top, and less than a pencil's diameter at the bottom ... and a lot of that brown stain you see is iron that was deposited as a result of the electrolysis. Eventually it erodes the cable and case racks and they need to be replaced.

The splice cases don't break down like that because they are made of either lead (old ones) or plastic / fiberglass (newer ones).  If there is a suspected connection problem, the repair folks have to pump the water out of the hole, then pump in air (the big yellow tube) for a while to displace the toxic gasses formed by all the decomposing organic matter (in additon to salt, sometimes you get a dead animal, plants, leaves or some garbage).

Then they have to split the case, check / fix the connection, then solder the case back together.

If the manhole is in the middle of a street, it takes a while to get access because the local government has to approve the traffic blockage and a the proper signage and barriers have to be delivered and put up.

Employee Contributor*
Message 24 of 24
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support