Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 24, 2013
8:59:17 AM
View profile
What can I expect from U-Verse?

Hello everyone!

I really appreciate any of the help you guys could give me.  I've tried googling my answers and haven't really been able to have have my questions answered.

So to set the stage, I run the technology department of a small business.  Has a couple VPNs, several static IP addresses, etc, etc.

I got a call saying from an AT&T sales rep saying that DSL was being pushed out and that everyone was needing to be upgraded to U-Verse.  The service and offer both seemed plausible so i don't have any issues with that, but I don't think he could answer some of my more technical questions, and I'd like to get some outsider perspectives, so I hope it's alright if I ask you guys.

1) What should I expect from this upgrade?  
2) Will it mess up our static IP addresses?  

3) Is it possible to get into a contract with the monthly price I was quoted?
4) What all would we have to do on our end to make this change? (buy a new modem, cabling, etc)

5) How will this affect our phone lines?

Hello everyone!

I really appreciate any of the help you guys could give me.  I've tried googling my answers and haven't really been able to have have my questions answered.

So to set the stage, I run the technology department of a small business.  Has a couple VPNs, several static IP addresses, etc, etc.

I got a call saying from an AT&T sales rep saying that DSL was being pushed out and that everyone was needing to be upgraded to U-Verse.  The service and offer both seemed plausible so i don't have any issues with that, but I don't think he could answer some of my more technical questions, and I'd like to get some outsider perspectives, so I hope it's alright if I ask you guys.

1) What should I expect from this upgrade?  
2) Will it mess up our static IP addresses?  

3) Is it possible to get into a contract with the monthly price I was quoted?
4) What all would we have to do on our end to make this change? (buy a new modem, cabling, etc)

What can I expect from U-Verse?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2013 9:36:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Jun 24, 2013 at 9:52:14 AM

christheitman -
1) What should I expect from this upgrade? The best, plan for the worst.
2) Will it mess up our static IP addresses? static IP is an option - may be std for business, Ask for the existing.
3) Is it possible to get into a contract with the monthly price I was quoted? ask

4 & 5 go together If you keep POTS your phone feed stays the same & you may be able to keep the same modem. If you go for U-verse you will probably need a different modem because it is VOIP fed off the modem. You can have two lines & it is one voice mail box that you have to set up to separate the two lines.

I know that is not much, but it is a start. Others can add more.

How long can you be out of service. Sometimes they do run into problems. It would be good if you could meet with the manager on how to do it to minimize your downtime & set a time limit - If it is not going well by a preset time they will restore your DSL & fix the problem before attepmting another cutover.

christheitman -
1) What should I expect from this upgrade? The best, plan for the worst.
2) Will it mess up our static IP addresses? static IP is an option - may be std for business, Ask for the existing.
3) Is it possible to get into a contract with the monthly price I was quoted? ask

4 & 5 go together If you keep POTS your phone feed stays the same & you may be able to keep the same modem. If you go for U-verse you will probably need a different modem because it is VOIP fed off the modem. You can have two lines & it is one voice mail box that you have to set up to separate the two lines.

I know that is not much, but it is a start. Others can add more.

How long can you be out of service. Sometimes they do run into problems. It would be good if you could meet with the manager on how to do it to minimize your downtime & set a time limit - If it is not going well by a preset time they will restore your DSL & fix the problem before attepmting another cutover.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: What can I expect from U-Verse?

[ Edited ]
2 of 4 (1,512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2013 11:32:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

What to expect from your DSL to U-verse conversion

Installation

AT&T U-verse will ensure your transition from DSL to U-verse is as seamless as it can be however these scenarios may apply.

• Your new AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet will require different customer premises equipment ("CPE").
    • DSL equipment will not authenticate on the U-verse network.
    • You will need to obtain a Motorola NVG510 or a Motorola 2210-02-01att.
  • Unavoidable downtime during the conversionChanges to the due date of your installation should be requested 1-2 days before the original U-verse install date to avoid an extended interruption of DSL service.
    • In order to provision the circuit and make the connections to the physical outside lines that will deliver your U-verse service, DSL will stop working on the due date of the U-verse order.

Local Network Changes

• DSL static IP addresses will not carry over to U-verse
    • New static IP block will be assigned
    • Motorola NVG510 will need to be configured with new static IP block
  • Wireless information such as SSID and Wireless Network Key will be different
    • Refer to the Connecting devices section for wireless setup
    • Motorola 2210-02-01att is not Wi-Fi enabled and requires a wireless router to connect wireless devices
  • Unable to browse due to computer holding hard coded information from DSL equipmentThe ability to turn off DHCP on the NVG510 is not available
    • May require release and renew of IP on your PC

Billing Changes

• Auto Pay/Billing must be re-established and will not be set automatically
    • You will need to enroll in Auto Pay after registration and wait 4 to 6 weeks for automatic payments to start
  • Promotional pricing is not eligible on conversionsPricing does not carry over to U-verse, new pricing and/or promotional bundle offers will apply
    • When you are selected for conversion, we will provide at least thirty days notice of the discontinuation of your service via e-mail
  • If you have a Support Plus subscription it will not automatically carry over to U-verse
    • AT&T Support Plus subscription will continue to retire the 12 month commitment you were in
    • The 12 month commitment will not start over coming to U-verse
    • Contact with the ConnecTech billing department will be required to update subscription with the new U-verse account information
  • If you did not receive a paper bill check your email
    • Changes to Paperless billing can be made when you log on to myAT&T

This from the Customer Care team. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
    Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
    Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
    I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

What to expect from your DSL to U-verse conversion

Installation

AT&T U-verse will ensure your transition from DSL to U-verse is as seamless as it can be however these scenarios may apply.

• Your new AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet will require different customer premises equipment ("CPE").
    • DSL equipment will not authenticate on the U-verse network.
    • You will need to obtain a Motorola NVG510 or a Motorola 2210-02-01att.
  • Unavoidable downtime during the conversionChanges to the due date of your installation should be requested 1-2 days before the original U-verse install date to avoid an extended interruption of DSL service.
    • In order to provision the circuit and make the connections to the physical outside lines that will deliver your U-verse service, DSL will stop working on the due date of the U-verse order.

Local Network Changes

• DSL static IP addresses will not carry over to U-verse
    • New static IP block will be assigned
    • Motorola NVG510 will need to be configured with new static IP block
  • Wireless information such as SSID and Wireless Network Key will be different
    • Refer to the Connecting devices section for wireless setup
    • Motorola 2210-02-01att is not Wi-Fi enabled and requires a wireless router to connect wireless devices
  • Unable to browse due to computer holding hard coded information from DSL equipmentThe ability to turn off DHCP on the NVG510 is not available
    • May require release and renew of IP on your PC

Billing Changes

• Auto Pay/Billing must be re-established and will not be set automatically
    • You will need to enroll in Auto Pay after registration and wait 4 to 6 weeks for automatic payments to start
  • Promotional pricing is not eligible on conversionsPricing does not carry over to U-verse, new pricing and/or promotional bundle offers will apply
    • When you are selected for conversion, we will provide at least thirty days notice of the discontinuation of your service via e-mail
  • If you have a Support Plus subscription it will not automatically carry over to U-verse
    • AT&T Support Plus subscription will continue to retire the 12 month commitment you were in
    • The 12 month commitment will not start over coming to U-verse
    • Contact with the ConnecTech billing department will be required to update subscription with the new U-verse account information
  • If you did not receive a paper bill check your email
    • Changes to Paperless billing can be made when you log on to myAT&T

This from the Customer Care team. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
    Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
    Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
    I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 4 (1,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2013 10:37:59 AM
(0)
Contributor

This was super informative.  Thank you so much for your help.

This was super informative.  Thank you so much for your help.

4 of 4 (1,366 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments