Galavision $0.02 65,469 $16
NFL Network $0.84 70,671 $712
MLB Network $0.24 70,436 $203
NBA TV $0.22 60,361 $159
NHL TV $0.35 43,000 $181
Big Ten Network $0.36 52,000 $225
Pac-12 Network $0.80 26,000 $250

http://www.whatyoupayforsports.com/numbers/

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

What You Pay for Sports

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2013 8:03:16 PM
(0)
Scholar
I don't care. I love my sports and will pony up for them. NOTHING is free!
I don't care. I love my sports and will pony up for them. NOTHING is free!

Re: What You Pay for Sports

2 of 12 (584 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2013 8:11:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Since TNT and TBS carry other programming besides sports that's kind of a jaded number there. Galavision is another non-sports channel that happens to carry sports.  I would say that ABC, CBS and NBC carry more sports than any of those three. ABC has College Football and some NASCAR for a couple more years.  CBS has college football, NFL and PGA and NBC has college football, NFL and soon to have NASCAR.

I also wouldn't classify TruTV as sports.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Since TNT and TBS carry other programming besides sports that's kind of a jaded number there. Galavision is another non-sports channel that happens to carry sports.  I would say that ABC, CBS and NBC carry more sports than any of those three. ABC has College Football and some NASCAR for a couple more years.  CBS has college football, NFL and PGA and NBC has college football, NFL and soon to have NASCAR.

I also wouldn't classify TruTV as sports.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 12 (575 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 9:02:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

So, what is the big deal over Bein Sports?  It's only a dime per month, per subscriber.  Why not carry it?

BeIN Sport USA$0.1010,000$12

So, what is the big deal over Bein Sports?  It's only a dime per month, per subscriber.  Why not carry it?

BeIN Sport USA$0.1010,000$12

4 of 12 (518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 9:45:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
One thing to note is that beIN Sport is owned by Al Jazeera which also owns Al Jazeera America. With the recent events, don't look for beIN Sport any time soon.
One thing to note is that beIN Sport is owned by Al Jazeera which also owns Al Jazeera America. With the recent events, don't look for beIN Sport any time soon.

5 of 12 (504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 11:27:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

oufanindallas wrote:

Since TNT and TBS carry other programming besides sports that's kind of a jaded number there.... I also wouldn't classify TruTV as sports.

True, and that's partly by design, since Turner's last attempt at a pure sports network (CNNSI) failed miserably. That said, those three channels have the NBA, MLB, and the NCAA Tournament, so they should be included to show the overall price. (I suspect the NCAA Tournament games on TruTV might eventually move to CBSSN, but that's a few years and a cool hundred million down the road, probably.)

Also, I should probably note that the Fox Sports 1 numbers shown above are incorrect, and I've corrected them on the What You Pay For Sports web site. Carriers forced Fox into accepting Speed Network rates for FS1, so the subscriber fee for a vast majority of carriers is only $0.23/mo., rather than the $0.80/mo. Fox was seeking.

One of the main reasons I created the site was to show people how much they're subsidizing modern sports simply by subscribing to cable, satellite, or IP TV. Given that overall subscribership to pay TV services is starting to decline, it's my belief that eventually the networks would be better off targeting sports fans who actually want to pay to watch sports, rather than propping up the cable bundle and making everyone pay. We're still a few years away from that, though.

oufanindallas wrote:

Since TNT and TBS carry other programming besides sports that's kind of a jaded number there.... I also wouldn't classify TruTV as sports.

True, and that's partly by design, since Turner's last attempt at a pure sports network (CNNSI) failed miserably. That said, those three channels have the NBA, MLB, and the NCAA Tournament, so they should be included to show the overall price. (I suspect the NCAA Tournament games on TruTV might eventually move to CBSSN, but that's a few years and a cool hundred million down the road, probably.)

Also, I should probably note that the Fox Sports 1 numbers shown above are incorrect, and I've corrected them on the What You Pay For Sports web site. Carriers forced Fox into accepting Speed Network rates for FS1, so the subscriber fee for a vast majority of carriers is only $0.23/mo., rather than the $0.80/mo. Fox was seeking.

One of the main reasons I created the site was to show people how much they're subsidizing modern sports simply by subscribing to cable, satellite, or IP TV. Given that overall subscribership to pay TV services is starting to decline, it's my belief that eventually the networks would be better off targeting sports fans who actually want to pay to watch sports, rather than propping up the cable bundle and making everyone pay. We're still a few years away from that, though.

6 of 12 (473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 11:44:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

texasguy37 wrote:

Thanks TG for that new (to me) info.  The plot thickens (insert dramatic music, here).  Well, I do hope that they can cough up 60 cents per month, per sub, to get both.  Again, I hope that it is an economic issue and not a pandering to political correctness (or incorrectness) type of thing.

texasguy37 wrote:

Thanks TG for that new (to me) info.  The plot thickens (insert dramatic music, here).  Well, I do hope that they can cough up 60 cents per month, per sub, to get both.  Again, I hope that it is an economic issue and not a pandering to political correctness (or incorrectness) type of thing.

7 of 12 (462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 12:51:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

WhatYouPayForSports wrote:

Another route I think cable companies should look into is have a "no sports" package that only includes entertainment channels. I'm fine not watching ESPN, FS1, or any of those dedicated sports channels. 

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

Another route I think cable companies should look into is have a "no sports" package that only includes entertainment channels. I'm fine not watching ESPN, FS1, or any of those dedicated sports channels. 

-------

8 of 12 (431 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 12:55:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

l only have pay tv service because of sports.

l only have pay tv service because of sports.

9 of 12 (424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 2:08:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

americangame wrote:

Most cable and satellite companies have low-cost no-sports packages already, actually. Those are good for people who don't watch sports but want to keep up with new shows and possibly add premium services like HBO and Showtime, which are still tied to cable systems. (For now.)

That said, I still think there's a lot more value in online streaming services right now than in any cable package. Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime average out to less than $23/mo., and they offer tons of TV shows and movies to watch -- to say nothing of the free and ad-supported options like YouTube, Crackle, Vimeo, etc.

americangame wrote:

Most cable and satellite companies have low-cost no-sports packages already, actually. Those are good for people who don't watch sports but want to keep up with new shows and possibly add premium services like HBO and Showtime, which are still tied to cable systems. (For now.)

That said, I still think there's a lot more value in online streaming services right now than in any cable package. Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime average out to less than $23/mo., and they offer tons of TV shows and movies to watch -- to say nothing of the free and ad-supported options like YouTube, Crackle, Vimeo, etc.

10 of 12 (390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 6:37:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The problem with the curren offering of the no spots packafes is that they offer little to no enterainment content as well. The U-Family package offers only a small handfull outside of local channels that I watch but it doesn't have a large amount of the channels we do watch.

-------

The problem with the curren offering of the no spots packafes is that they offer little to no enterainment content as well. The U-Family package offers only a small handfull outside of local channels that I watch but it doesn't have a large amount of the channels we do watch.

-------

11 of 12 (344 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 6:53:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

americangame wrote:

The only problem with that is that typically the shows are a season behind or they only have a few new episodes at a time.  If you are like many viewers, you will record a bunch of shows and have a marathon.

americangame wrote:

The only problem with that is that typically the shows are a season behind or they only have a few new episodes at a time.  If you are like many viewers, you will record a bunch of shows and have a marathon.

12 of 12 (336 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments