Ask a question

Posted Apr 15, 2014
1:20:06 PM
View profile
Well lookie here! AT&T TV rate increases lowest!
Edited by vid30jk on Apr 15, 2014 at 1:27:12 PM

As this has to do with the TV-side of Uverse, a consumer advocacy outfit found that of all of the cable/satellite/IPTV providers, AT&T had the lowest percent-increase of rates over the period of 2009-2013.

Now when you read the article and graphic, keep in mind that the "basic" services they compared would most mirror what's available in U-200, and the "premium" packages would be closer to U-300 and U-450 -- at least by my interpretation. (See edit below as well.)

Also, remember that many of the competitors (notable Comcast and Time Warner) have finally started to pass-along the "Broadcast Fee" (which pays for you subsidizing your local ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/independents) because you don't want one of those antennas sticking off the roof of your house.  So although AT&T had been charging $1.99/month for over a year already, they're finally catching on -- YET it seems they're not really keeping their rates low (for their other services) by doing it.

Those "old-timers" know how low the AT&T rate increases have been over the years, and you newbies should be glad you're with a company who's been ADDING channels, giving you the MOST premium choices, and doing it with the lowest rate increases than the others.

http://www.freepress.net/blog/2014/04/14/comcasts-wallet-lightening-ways

EDIT: Whoopsie!  Didn't read the fine print saying that the 0% increase for "basic" was for U-Family, and the "premium" services was for the U-450 prices.  But I'll still stand behind my previous observation, in that if you really consider "basic cable" versus Uverse, the best comparison would be U-200, since it is the closest to what you would get with a cable company's "basic" or "digital basic" lineup.

Well lookie here! AT&T TV rate increases lowest!

[ Edited ]
7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2014 2:03:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

My issue witht he infographic is that they say that Comcast is the worst, but don't include other major players like DirecTV or Charter. Something tells me that those two serives may have bigger rates than Comcast, otherwise why exclude them?

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Well lookie here! AT&T TV rate increases lowest!

2 of 8 (340 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2014 2:20:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

americangame wrote:

My issue witht he infographic is that they say that Comcast is the worst, but don't include other major players like DirecTV or Charter. Something tells me that those two serives may have bigger rates than Comcast, otherwise why exclude them?

Because "freepress.net" is anti-Comcast.  In fact, I'm betting they are a PAC and may even be funded by the Telco's.  See my repsonse here.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 8 (328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2014 8:56:12 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by vid30jk on Apr 15, 2014 at 9:03:11 PM

I particularly avoided what you guys are talking about for the simple reason that, when comparing AT&T rate increases versus the competition, AT&T is consistently the best/lowest.

ALL of the competition have increased rates, and just because Charter or BooBooKitty Cable Operators aren't somehow included doesn't really mean a whole lot in the overall findings.

Free Press IS a politically active group and IS against the Comcast merger with Time Warner.  But that does not diminish the fact that market by market, Comcast HAS been the perennial bad boy not only in customer service and perception, but also in jacking prices up.

For the discussion here, it's important to point out that AT&T has been the best at keeping prices low for customers over their competition, while at the same time meeting or exceeding them, product-wise.

[ Edited ]
4 of 8 (280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2014 5:34:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

vid30jk wrote:

I particularly avoided what you guys are talking about for the simple reason that, when comparing AT&T rate increases versus the competition, AT&T is consistently the best/lowest.

ALL of the competition have increased rates, and just because Charter or BooBooKitty Cable Operators aren't somehow included doesn't really mean a whole lot in the overall findings.

Free Press IS a politically active group and IS against the Comcast merger with Time Warner.  But that does not diminish the fact that market by market, Comcast HAS been the perennial bad boy not only in customer service and perception, but also in jacking prices up.

For the discussion here, it's important to point out that AT&T has been the best at keeping prices low for customers over their competition, while at the same time meeting or exceeding them, product-wise.

Right but my issue is disguising an infographic as fact, when, trutfully, it raises so many rfac1058.gifthat it teeters on the absurd.  That's why I sniffed around a buit, lol.

Fpor instance: The graphic states that AT&T has zero premium channel price increases.  AT&T does not offer premium packages only - they are merged in with the U300's and 450's.  To say that AT&T has never had an HBO price increase is a bit disengeneous.  Freepress is doing what they have to do to shut big bad Comcast down but it didn't pass my smell test. Smiley Happy

5 of 8 (236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2014 5:56:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

dhascall wrote:

vid30jk wrote:

Right but my issue is disguising an infographic as fact, when, trutfully, it raises so many rfac1058.gifthat it teeters on the absurd.  That's why I sniffed around a buit, lol.

Fpor instance: The graphic states that AT&T has zero premium channel price increases.  AT&T does not offer premium packages only - they are merged in with the U300's and 450's.  To say that AT&T has never had an HBO price increase is a bit disengeneous.  Freepress is doing what they have to do to shut big bad Comcast down but it didn't pass my smell test. Smiley Happy

That's not true. All the premium channels are available a la carte. For example, a customer could add HBO to the u200 from an additional (iirc) $15/month. It seems like they have in fact had a price increase on the premium packages, but I can't remember for sure.

6 of 8 (229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2014 6:01:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

So, it might be more than a 0% increase? Smiley Tongue  Okay, I promise not to post any more on Freepress.net.  Smiley Happy

7 of 8 (226 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2014 7:25:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

All I know is that a family member posted on his Facebook that he was notified of a price increase from Time Warner and he was P.O.'d and threatening to "pull the plug". 

I suggested that he, at least, check any deals that ATT might have.  I'm not even sure if he can get it at his house.

8 of 8 (212 Views)