Posted May 11, 2012
4:17:41 AM
View profile
Weekly off topic thread #236

Good morning and Good Friday. Welcome to the WOTT 236. Hope everyone's weekend turns out well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Good morning and Good Friday. Welcome to the WOTT 236. Hope everyone's weekend turns out well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Weekly off topic thread #236

23 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2012 9:40:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

So far so good looks like rain on and off for most of the day here at least it will not be hot.

So far so good looks like rain on and off for most of the day here at least it will not be hot.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Weekly off topic thread #236

2 of 24 (500 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2012 12:25:49 PM
(0)
Expert

I'm already tired of the rain, and miss the heat! :smileyvery-happy:  j/k

I didn't get to post a follow-up from a few weeks ago about Leo (the cat) and his ICU stay at the Vet.  He got to come home at the end of that week and is doing much better.  His herpes (cats have it just like humans) has flared, and he got a really bad URI (Upper Resp. Infection).  He's again on anti-biotics and all the other cats have already been exposed, but hoping they don't come down with it.  Send money... :catsad:

I'm already tired of the rain, and miss the heat! :smileyvery-happy:  j/k

I didn't get to post a follow-up from a few weeks ago about Leo (the cat) and his ICU stay at the Vet.  He got to come home at the end of that week and is doing much better.  His herpes (cats have it just like humans) has flared, and he got a really bad URI (Upper Resp. Infection).  He's again on anti-biotics and all the other cats have already been exposed, but hoping they don't come down with it.  Send money... :catsad:

3 of 24 (491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2012 2:42:15 PM
(0)
Employee

Spd next time you get a cat get one with a lifetime warranty.  j/k

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 24 (475 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2012 7:27:15 PM
(0)
Expert
If I could, I would. People who dump animals could at least attach cash to a collar.
If I could, I would. People who dump animals could at least attach cash to a collar.

5 of 24 (470 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2012 8:23:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Escapee wrote:

That's the rub. In the "wild", without human help (or hinderance) a cat would normally only survive 5 or 6 years, tops.

With the miracle of modern veternary medicine though, we've been able to double the cost life of our domesticated pets. :smileywink:

We're at almost $1200 yearly just for the regular visits and preventative meds for our four beasties. :smileymad:

neon_sign.jpg

Escapee wrote:

That's the rub. In the "wild", without human help (or hinderance) a cat would normally only survive 5 or 6 years, tops.

With the miracle of modern veternary medicine though, we've been able to double the cost life of our domesticated pets. :smileywink:

We're at almost $1200 yearly just for the regular visits and preventative meds for our four beasties. :smileymad:

neon_sign.jpg

6 of 24 (467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2012 10:33:38 PM
(0)
Expert
The meds and tests do me in. Luckily, my Vet gives me a multi-cat discount on her services, and allows me to make pmts. when the bill gets up there.

I'm still trying to pay off Clovis' treatment/death from last Nov. But somebody else gets sick and I can't catch up. :smileysad:
The meds and tests do me in. Luckily, my Vet gives me a multi-cat discount on her services, and allows me to make pmts. when the bill gets up there.

I'm still trying to pay off Clovis' treatment/death from last Nov. But somebody else gets sick and I can't catch up. :smileysad:

7 of 24 (457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2012 9:06:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Cats,dogs and birds can run up some vet bills but anyone here ever own a horse I still have friends struggling with those bills.

I guess as long as I am breathing there will be some pet or another at my home.

Cats,dogs and birds can run up some vet bills but anyone here ever own a horse I still have friends struggling with those bills.

I guess as long as I am breathing there will be some pet or another at my home.

8 of 24 (451 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2012 9:35:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yeah....we get so attached to this furry kids.  Alfie has been giving me the cold shoulder today.  We were out of town....over to St. Louis area for grandson's college graduation....and he had to be boarded for a couple of days.  Guess we hurt his feelings.  Well...he'll get over it.    In the morning he has to go to the vet for teeth cleaning job.  That will take care of it for another year.  We really don't have too many vet bills since I discovered that it was the Science Diet food that was causing all his intestinal problems.  We walk about a mile in the A.M. and then another couple of blocks after his supper.  He's pretty health right now.  BUT....I have to remember that he is 12 yrs. old and Westies have a life expectancy of 14 to 16 years.  So I'm steeling myself.

We stayed in an Embassy Suites hotel over there.  Expensive....and they still charge $10 per day for Internet access.  This one was an AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot but it was NOT free.  I still got hooke for the ten spot.  I told the front desk that I often stay in $45 a night Motel 6's and get free Wi-Fi Internet service.  Got no sympathy but I felt better.  That darn place was $140 for one night.  YUCK!

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. ....................Groucho Marx

Yeah....we get so attached to this furry kids.  Alfie has been giving me the cold shoulder today.  We were out of town....over to St. Louis area for grandson's college graduation....and he had to be boarded for a couple of days.  Guess we hurt his feelings.  Well...he'll get over it.    In the morning he has to go to the vet for teeth cleaning job.  That will take care of it for another year.  We really don't have too many vet bills since I discovered that it was the Science Diet food that was causing all his intestinal problems.  We walk about a mile in the A.M. and then another couple of blocks after his supper.  He's pretty health right now.  BUT....I have to remember that he is 12 yrs. old and Westies have a life expectancy of 14 to 16 years.  So I'm steeling myself.

We stayed in an Embassy Suites hotel over there.  Expensive....and they still charge $10 per day for Internet access.  This one was an AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot but it was NOT free.  I still got hooke for the ten spot.  I told the front desk that I often stay in $45 a night Motel 6's and get free Wi-Fi Internet service.  Got no sympathy but I felt better.  That darn place was $140 for one night.  YUCK!

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. ....................Groucho Marx

9 of 24 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2012 10:57:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

hpmsrm wrote:

It's funny that the more expensive the hotel is, the less perks that they have.  The lower priced are just as nice (in most cases) and have better perks because they want repeat business. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

hpmsrm wrote:

It's funny that the more expensive the hotel is, the less perks that they have.  The lower priced are just as nice (in most cases) and have better perks because they want repeat business. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

10 of 24 (435 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2012 3:22:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Well. there is no denying that it was a big room, or should I say rooms.   It was....as the name of the hotel indicates....a suite.  Two rooms plus bath.   Living room with couch, two sided desk, and wet bar with fridge and microwave...plus big screen LCD, HD TV.  Then there was a separate bedroom with king size bed, dresser and vanity with mirror plus another big screen LCD, HD TV.  The bathroom was big also...as was the closet.   Now, when I'm traveling.....a bed, a TV, a shower and a potty are all I need.  Plus...Motel 6's all welcome Alfie with no extra charge.  We really did not have a choice in this case if we wanted to be near the rest of the family.

Guess the grandson did OK in his computer classes.  He has been through a whole series of phone interviews with Cerner and has face to face interview coming up.  Cerner is a huge manager of medical record databases which has grown like crazy and is into a big expansion here in the Kansas City area.  Hiring a bunch of people.  Long hours are guaranteed and willingness to work them is required.

Well. there is no denying that it was a big room, or should I say rooms.   It was....as the name of the hotel indicates....a suite.  Two rooms plus bath.   Living room with couch, two sided desk, and wet bar with fridge and microwave...plus big screen LCD, HD TV.  Then there was a separate bedroom with king size bed, dresser and vanity with mirror plus another big screen LCD, HD TV.  The bathroom was big also...as was the closet.   Now, when I'm traveling.....a bed, a TV, a shower and a potty are all I need.  Plus...Motel 6's all welcome Alfie with no extra charge.  We really did not have a choice in this case if we wanted to be near the rest of the family.

Guess the grandson did OK in his computer classes.  He has been through a whole series of phone interviews with Cerner and has face to face interview coming up.  Cerner is a huge manager of medical record databases which has grown like crazy and is into a big expansion here in the Kansas City area.  Hiring a bunch of people.  Long hours are guaranteed and willingness to work them is required.

11 of 24 (429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2012 8:56:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

If I ever have to go back to Cleveland for work, I'll try for the Embassy Suites, there.  AWESOME!  Sorry that you couldn't get a better deal but the Cleveland ES breakfast spread / buffet  (included - free) is easily worth ten bucks plus free Manager's reception (free drinks and hors d'oeuvres) is nice too.  Both the LR and BR had 42" flat screens, which was unheard of for 2007, the last time that I stayed there.

If I ever have to go back to Cleveland for work, I'll try for the Embassy Suites, there.  AWESOME!  Sorry that you couldn't get a better deal but the Cleveland ES breakfast spread / buffet  (included - free) is easily worth ten bucks plus free Manager's reception (free drinks and hors d'oeuvres) is nice too.  Both the LR and BR had 42" flat screens, which was unheard of for 2007, the last time that I stayed there.

12 of 24 (419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2012 8:59:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on May 16, 2012 at 9:00:47 AM

NASCAR driver Kenny Wallace was racing his dirt modified, in Lincoln, Illinois last night and snapped this in the pits:

As-MpxICIAEr_El.jpg

NASCAR driver Kenny Wallace was racing his dirt modified, in Lincoln, Illinois last night and snapped this in the pits:

As-MpxICIAEr_El.jpg

[ Edited ]
13 of 24 (417 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2012 8:59:40 PM
(0)
Master

LOL, and funny pic Dave.

Not a good day in this household yesterday. I had periodontal surgery to correct gum air pockets on my upper/lower left side. And this could have been prevented/caught earlier if the worthless teeth cleaning gal at my dentist office wouldn't have blown off testing my air pocket depths for 3 years! Surgery for both sides was $4K, insurance only covered $400, and I should be billing the dentist office!

But the real bummer happened while I was taking an evening nap. Son brought his Mastiff out so Charlie and him were rough-housing as usual. They were on a steep hill, Charlie got pushed over backwards/sideways, put out his leg and let out a yelp. Now he can't even put any weight on his left/rear leg and poor dog is hopping around on 3 legs. Actually he isn't moving hardly around at all and licking his left rear knee. Called the vet and she thinks he has a ruptured/torn ACL. Just great and taking him for x-rays and a full diagnosis tomorrow. :smileysad:

BTW, they have an Embassy Suites in N. Columbus. I've never stayed there but heard it was super nice. But they better fix their weather forecast on their website if they want anybody staying here. Below is what I just saw and colder than Alaska in May!

Embassy Suites - weather cold, 5-16-12.png

LOL, and funny pic Dave.

Not a good day in this household yesterday. I had periodontal surgery to correct gum air pockets on my upper/lower left side. And this could have been prevented/caught earlier if the worthless teeth cleaning gal at my dentist office wouldn't have blown off testing my air pocket depths for 3 years! Surgery for both sides was $4K, insurance only covered $400, and I should be billing the dentist office!

But the real bummer happened while I was taking an evening nap. Son brought his Mastiff out so Charlie and him were rough-housing as usual. They were on a steep hill, Charlie got pushed over backwards/sideways, put out his leg and let out a yelp. Now he can't even put any weight on his left/rear leg and poor dog is hopping around on 3 legs. Actually he isn't moving hardly around at all and licking his left rear knee. Called the vet and she thinks he has a ruptured/torn ACL. Just great and taking him for x-rays and a full diagnosis tomorrow. :smileysad:

BTW, they have an Embassy Suites in N. Columbus. I've never stayed there but heard it was super nice. But they better fix their weather forecast on their website if they want anybody staying here. Below is what I just saw and colder than Alaska in May!

Embassy Suites - weather cold, 5-16-12.png

14 of 24 (404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2012 10:37:22 PM
(0)
Expert

That's good to know about the hotels since we haven't traveled casually for years!  Used to always stay in the Marriott on the Riverwalk in San Antonio, but I get tired of tipping for everything under the sun!

Not good about Charlie, hope it isn't too serious and he can heal quickly.  I think we both need visits from the money fairy!  Between pet and human medical bills, it gets near-impossible. :catsad:

Know dental surgery is no fun.

That's good to know about the hotels since we haven't traveled casually for years!  Used to always stay in the Marriott on the Riverwalk in San Antonio, but I get tired of tipping for everything under the sun!

Not good about Charlie, hope it isn't too serious and he can heal quickly.  I think we both need visits from the money fairy!  Between pet and human medical bills, it gets near-impossible. :catsad:

Know dental surgery is no fun.

15 of 24 (398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2012 3:26:42 AM
(0)
Employee
Uni take care of yourself and Charlie.
Uni take care of yourself and Charlie.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

16 of 24 (398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2012 6:59:06 AM
(0)
Master

Thanks SKP and appreciate it Spd.

I'll find out more about Charlie at his appt this afternoon and hopefully the diagnosis isn't going to be as bad as I think it is. But as we all know a torn ACL can be fixed with surgery just like they do for many people.

Thanks SKP and appreciate it Spd.

I'll find out more about Charlie at his appt this afternoon and hopefully the diagnosis isn't going to be as bad as I think it is. But as we all know a torn ACL can be fixed with surgery just like they do for many people.

17 of 24 (386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2012 9:55:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Good luck with Charlie.

Your dental story scares me.  I'm a big time wimp when it comes to the Dentist.  I would rather get a 3 hour MRI than a 45 minute cleaning.  Here in Indy, most Dentists seem to use the examination as a way to get extra work / charges.  Many give away cleanings, x-rays and exams, knowing that they might be able to come up with some fairly expensive procedures. 

IIRC, docbombay is a Dentist, right?

Good luck with Charlie.

Your dental story scares me.  I'm a big time wimp when it comes to the Dentist.  I would rather get a 3 hour MRI than a 45 minute cleaning.  Here in Indy, most Dentists seem to use the examination as a way to get extra work / charges.  Many give away cleanings, x-rays and exams, knowing that they might be able to come up with some fairly expensive procedures. 

IIRC, docbombay is a Dentist, right?

18 of 24 (381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2012 11:22:17 AM
(0)
Expert

Yeah, I think he is a dentist.

Love our dentist and he is old school, x-rays every 2 yrs. unless there's pain.  Nothing is free, but he's very reasonable if no insurance.  He has a partner which I don't like, and he even did some cat rescue at the clinic a couple of times and called to borrow my live trap/get advice.

When I needed a root canal several years ago, he sent me to a specialist next door--turns out the tooth couldn't be saved and had to be removed.  I got a bone graft in case I decided upon a tooth implant one day; my dentist checked the other guy's work and said since the tooth is the back-most molar and not seen, he wouldn't bother!  He told me the price for an implant and I agreed. :smileyvery-happy:

What we'll do when he retires, I don't know.  He's right in the subdivision, too.  We have TONS of those dental places popping up, and that worries me; but guess they're like used car lots in how they do business. :smileysad:  Our dental hygienist said those places will just polish the plaque and not remove it, among other unscrupulous practices. 

Yeah, I think he is a dentist.

Love our dentist and he is old school, x-rays every 2 yrs. unless there's pain.  Nothing is free, but he's very reasonable if no insurance.  He has a partner which I don't like, and he even did some cat rescue at the clinic a couple of times and called to borrow my live trap/get advice.

When I needed a root canal several years ago, he sent me to a specialist next door--turns out the tooth couldn't be saved and had to be removed.  I got a bone graft in case I decided upon a tooth implant one day; my dentist checked the other guy's work and said since the tooth is the back-most molar and not seen, he wouldn't bother!  He told me the price for an implant and I agreed. :smileyvery-happy:

What we'll do when he retires, I don't know.  He's right in the subdivision, too.  We have TONS of those dental places popping up, and that worries me; but guess they're like used car lots in how they do business. :smileysad:  Our dental hygienist said those places will just polish the plaque and not remove it, among other unscrupulous practices. 

19 of 24 (377 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2012 12:15:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I would really like to see a TV News expose, where they send a "patient" in with verified no known dental problems and see  what some of these places say needs to be done - sort of like expose's on car repair businesses.

I would really like to see a TV News expose, where they send a "patient" in with verified no known dental problems and see  what some of these places say needs to be done - sort of like expose's on car repair businesses.

20 of 24 (374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2012 2:04:12 PM
(0)
Expert

I bet it's already been done, and an eye-opener. :smileysad:

I bet it's already been done, and an eye-opener. :smileysad:

21 of 24 (366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2012 3:43:46 PM
(0)
Expert

Another power outage at 5:30, REALLY TIRED OF THIS!   Bright sun and no rain, but just saw the power co. truck go down our street.  Maybe I should follow and find out WHY this really keeps happening?

Hope the DVR doesn't go crazy again after this.

Another power outage at 5:30, REALLY TIRED OF THIS!   Bright sun and no rain, but just saw the power co. truck go down our street.  Maybe I should follow and find out WHY this really keeps happening?

Hope the DVR doesn't go crazy again after this.

22 of 24 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2012 4:16:39 PM
(0)
Employee

I need to go get my teeth cleaned. The last time the assistant cleaned them she was so gentile i was not sure she had done a very good job which surprised me because she is very very professional at anything she does. The Dr came in and used the staining tablet and there was only one very hard to reach spot that was slightly missed. I have very hard and tough teeth also try to take good care of them with the toothbrush.

I need to go get my teeth cleaned. The last time the assistant cleaned them she was so gentile i was not sure she had done a very good job which surprised me because she is very very professional at anything she does. The Dr came in and used the staining tablet and there was only one very hard to reach spot that was slightly missed. I have very hard and tough teeth also try to take good care of them with the toothbrush.

23 of 24 (360 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2012 11:19:34 PM
(0)
Master

Hey, thanks Dave on wishes on Charlie. I'm not real keen on dentists either but want to keep my teeth.

Charlie had his vet appt and he definitely has more front-to-back, side-to-side, movement in his left rear knee than the other one. Indication of ACL problems but have no idea how bad. Vet could have taken 2 x-rays for $85 but they won't show the ligaments, muscle or soft tissue. She said I should invest the money in anti-inflammatory meds (Rimadyl 100mg chewables, non-steroid) instead, bring him back in 2 weeks, and see how he's doing then. Also gave me a script for pain meds for him (60 - Tramadol tabs, 50mg, non-narcotic). Kind of concerned about giving him 4 of these at once but since he weighs 122 lbs that's within the recommended dosage.

Vet knows a really good surgeon who did her dogs ACL surgery but said a dog Charlie's size would be $3K. Kind of figured that huge figure was coming and researched it earlier.

So if he doesn't get much better, or still limping in 2 weeks, we'll schedule surgery. Run the risk of arthritis with bone-on-bone wearing if the ACL isn't working correctly. Plus it can put lots of stress on his other leg if he favors one. He's only 5 which is way to early for arthritis to set in.

Just like with people the pharmaceutical companies are king when it comes to high costs. The vet appt was $253, with only $33 for exam, $20 for stool check, and $200 for meds. What a crock!

One thing which kind of surprised me the vet said is the front legs of a dog are a whole lot more important than the rear ones. The front legs support all their weight and a dog with a missing rear leg is a whole lot more mobile than a dog missing a front leg. Shouldn't even be talking about dogs missing a leg and won't be coming down to that.

Hey, thanks Dave on wishes on Charlie. I'm not real keen on dentists either but want to keep my teeth.

Charlie had his vet appt and he definitely has more front-to-back, side-to-side, movement in his left rear knee than the other one. Indication of ACL problems but have no idea how bad. Vet could have taken 2 x-rays for $85 but they won't show the ligaments, muscle or soft tissue. She said I should invest the money in anti-inflammatory meds (Rimadyl 100mg chewables, non-steroid) instead, bring him back in 2 weeks, and see how he's doing then. Also gave me a script for pain meds for him (60 - Tramadol tabs, 50mg, non-narcotic). Kind of concerned about giving him 4 of these at once but since he weighs 122 lbs that's within the recommended dosage.

Vet knows a really good surgeon who did her dogs ACL surgery but said a dog Charlie's size would be $3K. Kind of figured that huge figure was coming and researched it earlier.

So if he doesn't get much better, or still limping in 2 weeks, we'll schedule surgery. Run the risk of arthritis with bone-on-bone wearing if the ACL isn't working correctly. Plus it can put lots of stress on his other leg if he favors one. He's only 5 which is way to early for arthritis to set in.

Just like with people the pharmaceutical companies are king when it comes to high costs. The vet appt was $253, with only $33 for exam, $20 for stool check, and $200 for meds. What a crock!

One thing which kind of surprised me the vet said is the front legs of a dog are a whole lot more important than the rear ones. The front legs support all their weight and a dog with a missing rear leg is a whole lot more mobile than a dog missing a front leg. Shouldn't even be talking about dogs missing a leg and won't be coming down to that.

24 of 24 (351 Views)