Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Jun 25, 2012
3:14:46 AM
View profile
Weekly Off Topic Thread (WOTT) #242

Better late then never. I guess everybody was so busy this weekend no one started the WOTT.  Everybody have a good week.

Better late then never. I guess everybody was so busy this weekend no one started the WOTT.  Everybody have a good week.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Weekly Off Topic Thread (WOTT) #242

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2012 11:12:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

For those who use Over the Air (OTA) TV  things may be getting interesting.   Since Americans are (wireless) data hungry, the FCC has came up with another idea, sell off RF channels 31-51 so there is more RF spectrum for data, WiMax and so on.

Here is one link but there are many other articles out there.  I'm not sure if that many (210) will be forced off the air, for good but when you pack more and more, into less and less - some could lose out.   I have heard inklings that the big telecom companies have said that they would offer free services to low income, if they could force all OTA off the air.  There may be a big fight brewing.

Here in Indy, there are 7 stations that transmit in the 31-51 RF range, such as WXIN FOX 59, which is on RF 45.

For those who use Over the Air (OTA) TV  things may be getting interesting.   Since Americans are (wireless) data hungry, the FCC has came up with another idea, sell off RF channels 31-51 so there is more RF spectrum for data, WiMax and so on.

Here is one link but there are many other articles out there.  I'm not sure if that many (210) will be forced off the air, for good but when you pack more and more, into less and less - some could lose out.   I have heard inklings that the big telecom companies have said that they would offer free services to low income, if they could force all OTA off the air.  There may be a big fight brewing.

Here in Indy, there are 7 stations that transmit in the 31-51 RF range, such as WXIN FOX 59, which is on RF 45.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Weekly Off Topic Thread (WOTT) #242

2 of 4 (165 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2012 6:26:37 PM
(0)
Employee
Most people have dropped OTA so at some point the RF needs to be put to other uses that more people will use. I don't know what that line is but I am guessing some of those stations could be moved out of that range.
Most people have dropped OTA so at some point the RF needs to be put to other uses that more people will use. I don't know what that line is but I am guessing some of those stations could be moved out of that range.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 4 (160 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2012 7:54:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Jun 28, 2012 at 8:00:51 AM

Escapee wrote:

If anything the # of folks that have OTA has actually gone up.  It dropped to 20% just a few years ago but has actually went up to ~ 25%, especially since the economic crunch of 2008.  In fact "Cord cutting" has the same type of cult following that hyper miling (driving habits and vehicle modifications to get greater fuel economy) has.  In some area, the number of folks that have OTA only is nearing 1/3 of the total population.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204059804577229451364593094.html

The band repacking will be dependent on how much pull that the telecoms have on the FCC and potential fallout from the increasing # of cord cutters.

Escapee wrote:

If anything the # of folks that have OTA has actually gone up.  It dropped to 20% just a few years ago but has actually went up to ~ 25%, especially since the economic crunch of 2008.  In fact "Cord cutting" has the same type of cult following that hyper miling (driving habits and vehicle modifications to get greater fuel economy) has.  In some area, the number of folks that have OTA only is nearing 1/3 of the total population.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204059804577229451364593094.html

The band repacking will be dependent on how much pull that the telecoms have on the FCC and potential fallout from the increasing # of cord cutters.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 4 (155 Views)