Weekly Off-Topic Thread #255

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #255


Uniblurb3 wrote:

Speaking of football; I happened to watch the last half of Monday Night Football and what a mess! Guess maybe the scab officials may not be around much longer if this kind of thing happens.

 

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/seahawks-stun-packers-one-craziest-most-controversia...

 

Real nice pic of Alfie, Phil! I'm impressed/envious of that Leica zoom lens you have. They really know how to make optics!

 

No motorcycle tracks around here but the shooting noise is getting hard to bear. Nothin' like a beautiful Sunday outside with Charlie and the blasting starts across the road while he runs/heads for the door. Smiley Sad

 

Glad you had a good time with your young son at the pool OUfan. They grow up quick and the more time you spend with kids the better. Smiley Happy

 


Yeah Uni, they grow up so fast, seems like just yesterday he was barely crawling.  Hard to believe he'll be 4 in Nov.  He loves going to the pool and since I love it myself I don't mind taking him.  It's not as close now that we are in our new house, but still not that far away and I have 3 to choose from, 1 has a splash park with it that he had a blast playing in.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 16 of 26 (1,450 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #255

OK.....got the carpet steam cleaned yesterday.  Now my loving spouse has decided to re-arrange the living room furniture, etc. etc. etc.  Now I'm hot & sweaty.....short of breath....and have retired to the comfort of my recliner.  Had to move Alfie over.  When mom is making changes....he tends to get up on a chair and just watch.  She moved his living room bed (he has three) and I'm not sure he likes the new location very much.  Time will tell.  She put it behind her chair and he prefers to have it out where he can keep his eye on both of us.

 

One of y'all had mentioned recently that your computer boot times had slowed way down.  For several years I have used a program to occasionally clean my hard drives of junk....and otherwise no longer needed files.  I'm sure at least some of you are aware of it.  It's called CCleaner and can be downloaded free at CCleaner.com.  It is very customizeable....and one of the features you can check is "Wipe Free Space".  I had never used this feature before because it does take at least a couple or three hours to do its job.  But the other night, as I was shutting down to go to bed, I DID check it and then started the program.  Left the laptop running and I hit the sack.   In the morning I did a check of the HDD and I had actually picked up 6 gigabytes of available space.  Plus....now my WIN 7 laptop is booting up in about 1 1/2 minutes.  Actually it would be ready to use in about 60 seconds except for the SKYPE app. which seems to take extra time to turn on.  I use it so seldom that I should just turn it off .... except I do have a close friend down in Texas who does call on SKYPE every so often.

 

Anyway.....if your PC is booting up slowly and you're running low on HDD space....you might give CCleaner a try.  Disclaimer:  I have absolutely no financial interest in the company.

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. .......Margaret Thatcher
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 26 (1,433 Views)

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #255


hpmsrm wrote:

OK.....got the carpet steam cleaned yesterday.  Now my loving spouse has decided to re-arrange the living room furniture, etc. etc. etc.  Now I'm hot & sweaty.....short of breath....and have retired to the comfort of my recliner.  Had to move Alfie over.  When mom is making changes....he tends to get up on a chair and just watch.  She moved his living room bed (he has three) and I'm not sure he likes the new location very much.  Time will tell.  She put it behind her chair and he prefers to have it out where he can keep his eye on both of us.

 

One of y'all had mentioned recently that your computer boot times had slowed way down.  For several years I have used a program to occasionally clean my hard drives of junk....and otherwise no longer needed files.  I'm sure at least some of you are aware of it.  It's called CCleaner and can be downloaded free at CCleaner.com.  It is very customizeable....and one of the features you can check is "Wipe Free Space".  I had never used this feature before because it does take at least a couple or three hours to do its job.  But the other night, as I was shutting down to go to bed, I DID check it and then started the program.  Left the laptop running and I hit the sack.   In the morning I did a check of the HDD and I had actually picked up 6 gigabytes of available space.  Plus....now my WIN 7 laptop is booting up in about 1 1/2 minutes.  Actually it would be ready to use in about 60 seconds except for the SKYPE app. which seems to take extra time to turn on.  I use it so seldom that I should just turn it off .... except I do have a close friend down in Texas who does call on SKYPE every so often.

 

Anyway.....if your PC is booting up slowly and you're running low on HDD space....you might give CCleaner a try.  Disclaimer:  I have absolutely no financial interest in the company.



Only three?! Why you neglecting that poor animal?

That's besides yours, right?

 

 

 

 

PS  Been using CCleaner for years. Good program. Gets rid of those stinkin Index.dat files too.

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

                              

Message 18 of 26 (1,423 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #255

[ Edited ]

There is a lot in the news and Social Media on the MNF play.  I will say that I did not watch the game but I have seen the play (along with every man, woman and child in the world).  I'm not sure how that can't be ruled a touchdown.  If I had not seen a play about 20 years ago, I would think that an interception would be the right ruling.  There was a MNF game about 15-20 years ago.  Not sure who played but one of the teams may have been the Colts.  At any rate, the team that I was rooting for made an apparent interception in the end zone.  The defender had both hands on the ball and all ten fingers on it.  As he was coming down, the intended receiver put a portion of one hand, like half of his palm and maybe 2 or 3 fingers on the ball.  The zebras conferred for a second and ruled it a touchdown and mentioned that when a defender and a WR share possession, it always is awarded to the receiver.  Same exact play as this past Monday night as Tate did have some of his hand(s) on the ball..

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 26 (1,422 Views)
Master

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #255


oufanindallas wrote:

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Speaking of football; I happened to watch the last half of Monday Night Football and what a mess! Guess maybe the scab officials may not be around much longer if this kind of thing happens.

 

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/seahawks-stun-packers-one-craziest-most-controversia...

 

Real nice pic of Alfie, Phil! I'm impressed/envious of that Leica zoom lens you have. They really know how to make optics!

 

No motorcycle tracks around here but the shooting noise is getting hard to bear. Nothin' like a beautiful Sunday outside with Charlie and the blasting starts across the road while he runs/heads for the door. Smiley Sad

 

Glad you had a good time with your young son at the pool OUfan. They grow up quick and the more time you spend with kids the better. Smiley Happy

 


Yeah Uni, they grow up so fast, seems like just yesterday he was barely crawling.  Hard to believe he'll be 4 in Nov.  He loves going to the pool and since I love it myself I don't mind taking him.  It's not as close now that we are in our new house, but still not that far away and I have 3 to choose from, 1 has a splash park with it that he had a blast playing in.


 

Great age 4, OUfan, since they soak up everything going on around them and learn so quick! You're lucky you're in a warm state since all the pools close down here Labor Day.

 

I was going to post this awesome para-hawking video in the Bald Eagle thread but didn't since it's a Harris Hawk rather than an eagle. I've been to Torry Pines many times while visiting my daughter and they have a great nature center. Probably one of the most beautiful golf courses in the world but I wouldn't be able to golf there if I wanted to at $500 a round.

 

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.
Message 20 of 26 (1,410 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #255


dhascall wrote:

There is a lot in the news and Social Media on the MNF play.  I will say that I did not watch the game but I have seen the play (along with every man, woman and child in the world).  I'm not sure how that can't be ruled a touchdown.  If I had not seen a play about 20 years ago, I would think that an interception would be the right ruling.  There was a MNF game about 15-20 years ago.  Not sure who played but one of the teams may have been the Colts.  At any rate, the team that I was rooting for made an apparent interception in the end zone.  The defender had both hands on the ball and all ten fingers on it.  As he was coming down, the intended receiver put a portion of one hand, like half of his palm and maybe 2 or 3 fingers on the ball.  The zebras conferred for a second and ruled it a touchdown and mentioned that when a defender and a WR share possession, it always is awarded to the receiver.  Same exact play as this past Monday night as Tate did have some of his hand(s) on the ball..


Agreed, the rule is on shared possession, the receiver wins.  I cannot see how any zebra can rule what occurred shared possession if they were watching the whole play.  The defender got full possession of the ball while in the air.  The receiver placed one hand on the ball on the way down and got the other one on as/after they hit the ground.  If this type of ruling continues, there should be an awful lot fewer interceptions.

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 26 (1,417 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #255

The resident pro football expert....my own true love....says that the real issue in that controversial call is not who had hold of the ball....the receiver...the defensive guy....or both....   The real issue is the blatant and VERY obvious offensive interference when the intended receiver obviously shoved a defender out of the way in order to clear his path to the spot where he grabbed for the ball.  In any event the amateur officials really blew the call and handed the win to the seahawks.  I shall not question her authority.....that's how I've stayed married to her for 56 yrs.

 

Yes......the Alf has three beds. One doggy bed in the living room....another in our bedroom....and his travel kennel back in my den.  Those are where he snoozes while we are in any of these rooms.  OR.....also he sleeps with us in "our" bed and.....as is the case at this moment....he stretches out next to me in my recliner.  Yes.  He is spoiled terribly.....and ya know....I would not have it any other way.

 

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. .......Margaret Thatcher
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 22 of 26 (1,389 Views)
Highlighted

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #255


hpmsrm wrote:

The resident pro football expert....my own true love....says that the real issue in that controversial call is not who had hold of the ball....the receiver...the defensive guy....or both....   The real issue is the blatant and VERY obvious offensive interference when the intended receiver obviously shoved a defender out of the way in order to clear his path to the spot where he grabbed for the ball.  In any event the amateur officials really blew the call and handed the win to the seahawks.  I shall not question her authority.....that's how I've stayed married to her for 56 yrs.

 

Yes......the Alf has three beds. One doggy bed in the living room....another in our bedroom....and his travel kennel back in my den.  Those are where he snoozes while we are in any of these rooms.  OR.....also he sleeps with us in "our" bed and.....as is the case at this moment....he stretches out next to me in my recliner.  Yes.  He is spoiled terribly.....and ya know....I would not have it any other way.

 


I agree with the play as you called it. In the case of the reception/interception, it would be ruled a TD, however, the BLATENT offensive pass interference should have ruled the play null and void and the game over.  I will say one thing though, Seattle's D is looking pretty good, 8 sacks in the 1st half, that's more than some teams get in two games.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 23 of 26 (1,314 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #255

Having only watched the replays, and those focused on the catch (or interception, however you want to term it), I can't speak to the Offensive Pass Interference non-call.

 

However, I did see such a non-call in a NCAA Division I football game without replacement refs, the announcers saw it, but the officials threw no flag.  The defensive player, freed from interference by the receiver he had just pushed down, was able to catch the pass for a touchback.  The play should have been reviewed, but apparently it wasn't.

 

It's just sad all over.

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 24 of 26 (1,310 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #255

Oh what a morning of fun I had today.  2 1/2 hours in that darn chair. 

 

                   

 

This...after I had to get up at 5:00 AM when the smoke alarm in the living room started chirping to let me know the battery was weak.  I had changed that batter less than a month ago so there's something wrong with the alarm.  I bought a new one.  Anyway.....this alarm is located near the ceiling which is vaulted so had to go get the extension ladder out of the garage and set it up.....bang, bang, bang, clunk, clunk.  Then more noise when I put it away.  My wife asleep in our bedroom about 20 ft. away and she didn't hear a thing.  But Alfie was going nuts in sheer panic when he started hearing that chirping alarm.

 

By the way....I hand-held the camera myself for that shot....set on 24mm wide angle.

 

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. .......Margaret Thatcher
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 25 of 26 (1,300 Views)
Expert

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #255

[ Edited ]

Moved to #256.

Message 26 of 26 (1,249 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.