Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 24, 2012
3:49:27 AM
Weekly Off-Topic Thread #251

Well here it is, Friday again. Seems it was already light outside a couple weeks ago. Winter's on it's way.Smiley Surprised

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Well here it is, Friday again. Seems it was already light outside a couple weeks ago. Winter's on it's way.Smiley Surprised

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Weekly Off-Topic Thread #251

51 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(51)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2012 10:14:21 AM
(0)
Master

TGIF, agree CJ, and we've already lost an hour of daylight from a couple months ago.

Back to Spd's finding feathers all over his yard. Believe BeeBee was correct they're from doves and the most likely predator is a Coopers Hawk. Their diet consists mainly of other birds, they're numerous in the suburbs, and as can be read below doves are mentioned.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/birding/coopers-hawk/

I had about 20 Robins in my yard early in the morning last week and they disappeared real quick when a Coopers Hawk came rocketing through. He didn't get one and just ended up perching in a nearby tree. I've watched Coopers Hawks before and don't think I've ever seen such a faster/more maneuverable bird around here.

Yeah, you can tell Winter's coming since the Great Horned Owls are calling to each other like crazy during the cool nights. They mate/have their young in the winter months and are known as the "Lion of the bird world".

We just moved into another heat wave the past couple days and will be in the low 90's over the weekend. You can stick a fork in the crops around here with no rain and everything is drying up/dieing quickly. Corn is only about 4' high with little ears and not many soybeans on the browning plants themselves. Guess we're a little lucky we're right on the edge of the severe drought area and other states have suffered a lot worse.

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.

TGIF, agree CJ, and we've already lost an hour of daylight from a couple months ago.

Back to Spd's finding feathers all over his yard. Believe BeeBee was correct they're from doves and the most likely predator is a Coopers Hawk. Their diet consists mainly of other birds, they're numerous in the suburbs, and as can be read below doves are mentioned.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/birding/coopers-hawk/

I had about 20 Robins in my yard early in the morning last week and they disappeared real quick when a Coopers Hawk came rocketing through. He didn't get one and just ended up perching in a nearby tree. I've watched Coopers Hawks before and don't think I've ever seen such a faster/more maneuverable bird around here.

Yeah, you can tell Winter's coming since the Great Horned Owls are calling to each other like crazy during the cool nights. They mate/have their young in the winter months and are known as the "Lion of the bird world".

We just moved into another heat wave the past couple days and will be in the low 90's over the weekend. You can stick a fork in the crops around here with no rain and everything is drying up/dieing quickly. Corn is only about 4' high with little ears and not many soybeans on the browning plants themselves. Guess we're a little lucky we're right on the edge of the severe drought area and other states have suffered a lot worse.

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #251

2 of 52 (1,565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2012 1:26:04 PM
(0)
Master

We have a Red Tail that snags Doves in our neighborhood.

We have a Red Tail that snags Doves in our neighborhood.

3 of 52 (1,552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2012 1:57:36 PM
(0)
Employee
When I left for work just before 7am I was thinking I need to turn the light on in the laundry room to find the door to out to the car.
When I left for work just before 7am I was thinking I need to turn the light on in the laundry room to find the door to out to the car.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 52 (1,549 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2012 2:19:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

What a beautiful bird.  Birds of prey are so amazing and graceful to watch.  Wish they would do something about the grackles around here.  There are times when it looks like Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

What a beautiful bird.  Birds of prey are so amazing and graceful to watch.  Wish they would do something about the grackles around here.  There are times when it looks like Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 52 (1,545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2012 3:04:26 PM
(0)
Master

Know what you mean about the grackles OUfan. The wild grapes are ripe here and they move into the woods tree tops in giant flocks which must be near 1K. Sounds like bedlam (yep, 'The Birds') with them all squawking and raining seeds/wild grapes they knock off.

One of they identifying characteristics of a Coopers Hawk is their real thin tail when gliding down. But once they open it up and spread their wings they can turn on a dime.

Lots of Red-tails around here too Oz. Unfortunately their nest next to my drive in a high pine took a real beating with all the high winds we've had and I don't think they successfully raised a brood. Plus they're mortal enemies with the Great Horned Owls around here and the crows harass both species.

I'm still seeing fawns with spots here and they better grow up real quick before the cold weather hits.

Uniblurb3

Know what you mean about the grackles OUfan. The wild grapes are ripe here and they move into the woods tree tops in giant flocks which must be near 1K. Sounds like bedlam (yep, 'The Birds') with them all squawking and raining seeds/wild grapes they knock off.

One of they identifying characteristics of a Coopers Hawk is their real thin tail when gliding down. But once they open it up and spread their wings they can turn on a dime.

Lots of Red-tails around here too Oz. Unfortunately their nest next to my drive in a high pine took a real beating with all the high winds we've had and I don't think they successfully raised a brood. Plus they're mortal enemies with the Great Horned Owls around here and the crows harass both species.

I'm still seeing fawns with spots here and they better grow up real quick before the cold weather hits.

Uniblurb3

6 of 52 (1,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2012 10:03:25 PM
(0)
Expert

Off-topic from the off-topic ... Smiley Happy

I have a question for the photography buffs:

I have an old Canon EOS 10S 35mm film camera that still works very well.  I'm taking a business trip followed by a vacation soon, and would like a newer digital SLR to take with me.

Houston Camera Exchange will probably buy the 10S off me, but for a very low price (the only people who want them are photography students).  However, they will probably have some used digital SLRs available that I may want to purchase.

I'd like to stay with the Canon EOS line because I have 3 EOS EF lenses for the 10S that I believe will still work on the current Canon EOS line.  The question is -- what EOS digital SLR should I look for?  I don't really want to spend more than $500 (body only).  I think this puts me looking for a used 20D or 40D model.

Any comments/thoughts?  Should I go with this plan?  Any other Canon models I should look for?  Should I also see about selling the existing Canon EF lenses so that I could change manufacturers?  If so, who?  Nikon, et. al.?

Should I look at a new Canon xxD rather than a used?

I have an old Canon EOS 10S 35mm film camera that still works very well.  I'm taking a business trip followed by a vacation soon, and would like a newer digital SLR to take with me.

Houston Camera Exchange will probably buy the 10S off me, but for a very low price (the only people who want them are photography students).  However, they will probably have some used digital SLRs available that I may want to purchase.

I'd like to stay with the Canon EOS line because I have 3 EOS EF lenses for the 10S that I believe will still work on the current Canon EOS line.  The question is -- what EOS digital SLR should I look for?  I don't really want to spend more than $500 (body only).  I think this puts me looking for a used 20D or 40D model.

Any comments/thoughts?  Should I go with this plan?  Any other Canon models I should look for?  Should I also see about selling the existing Canon EF lenses so that I could change manufacturers?  If so, who?  Nikon, et. al.?

7 of 52 (1,512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2012 5:18:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

At that price you are probably looking at a "newer" Rebel body.  Less features than some of the other EOS lines, but still takes great pics.  I've had my Digital Rebel since they first came out and it still takes great pics.  Will also fit your lenses.

At that price you are probably looking at a "newer" Rebel body.  Less features than some of the other EOS lines, but still takes great pics.  I've had my Digital Rebel since they first came out and it still takes great pics.  Will also fit your lenses.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 52 (1,499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2012 6:28:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

SJ - I'm not that knowledgeable on cameras but I bought a Sony and it works quite well for myself and my wife.  Takes awesome pictures and we have been quite happy up to this point.  It comes in right at your price point.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

SJ - I'm not that knowledgeable on cameras but I bought a Sony and it works quite well for myself and my wife.  Takes awesome pictures and we have been quite happy up to this point.  It comes in right at your price point.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

9 of 52 (1,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2012 7:47:39 AM
(0)
Master

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

I was told long ago that as for the bodies between Nikon and Cannon the advantages would be none they are both great.

Buy the one that fits your current lens collection cheaper that way or buy the one that has the lens you want they tend to vary in that department , a good example would be a sporting event most have both bodies so they can use the lens that fits the moment.

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

I was told long ago that as for the bodies between Nikon and Cannon the advantages would be none they are both great.

Buy the one that fits your current lens collection cheaper that way or buy the one that has the lens you want they tend to vary in that department , a good example would be a sporting event most have both bodies so they can use the lens that fits the moment.

10 of 52 (1,487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2012 9:18:27 AM
(0)
Master

SJ, did some searching around for Canon camera bodies. You probably could go with a used D40 body at a reasonable price but I'm not sure I'd want to go with a discontinued body to replace your discontinued 35mm. Then once you go to a D60 the prices skyrocket to $900 for new and only $100-$200 less used.

BeeBee has a point about the EOS Rebel bodies and this is what a friend of mine went with to use all his existing 35mm lenses with. His camera takes excellent photos and he has even had a few published.

In looking at different features guess you need to determine whether or not using the HD movie mode in 720p or 1080p is even going to matter? If I remember correctly you already have a great HD digital video camera and can still picture your Cape Canaveral rocket blastoff. And in a still digital shots is 12.2MP vs 18MP going to matter?

Seemed like B&H Photography is a good site to nose around but kind of in sticker shock. Below is a used Canon EOS Rebel T3i Digital Camera body for $500.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/831734-REF/Canon_5169B017AA_EOS_Rebel_T3i_Digital.html

But here's a new Canon EOS Rebel T3 Digital Camera and 18-55mm lens for $500.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753766-REG/Canon_5757B002_EOS_Rebel_T3_Digital.html

As you know to use PriceBlink and the above it $419 at 42nd Street Photo while selling for $500 at B&H.

I have an old 35mm Nikon with a bunch of great lenses and need to be doing the same thing you are. It used to be my brother's and has a real expensive 500mm zoom lens for taking Grand Prix type race car shots. But when I took it to a camera store I was told this lens would have problems when connecting to a digital camera body. Actually it was the camera which would have problems adjusting to the lens field. Not sure why?

You really need to get Phil on here and get his input. Good luck.

Uniblurb3

SJ, did some searching around for Canon camera bodies. You probably could go with a used D40 body at a reasonable price but I'm not sure I'd want to go with a discontinued body to replace your discontinued 35mm. Then once you go to a D60 the prices skyrocket to $900 for new and only $100-$200 less used.

BeeBee has a point about the EOS Rebel bodies and this is what a friend of mine went with to use all his existing 35mm lenses with. His camera takes excellent photos and he has even had a few published.

In looking at different features guess you need to determine whether or not using the HD movie mode in 720p or 1080p is even going to matter? If I remember correctly you already have a great HD digital video camera and can still picture your Cape Canaveral rocket blastoff. And in a still digital shots is 12.2MP vs 18MP going to matter?

Seemed like B&H Photography is a good site to nose around but kind of in sticker shock. Below is a used Canon EOS Rebel T3i Digital Camera body for $500.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/831734-REF/Canon_5169B017AA_EOS_Rebel_T3i_Digital.html

But here's a new Canon EOS Rebel T3 Digital Camera and 18-55mm lens for $500.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753766-REG/Canon_5757B002_EOS_Rebel_T3_Digital.html

As you know to use PriceBlink and the above it $419 at 42nd Street Photo while selling for $500 at B&H.

I have an old 35mm Nikon with a bunch of great lenses and need to be doing the same thing you are. It used to be my brother's and has a real expensive 500mm zoom lens for taking Grand Prix type race car shots. But when I took it to a camera store I was told this lens would have problems when connecting to a digital camera body. Actually it was the camera which would have problems adjusting to the lens field. Not sure why?

You really need to get Phil on here and get his input. Good luck.

Uniblurb3

11 of 52 (1,479 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2012 4:26:00 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by oz_1 on Aug 25, 2012 at 4:29:13 PM

Uniblurb all Nikon lens work on all Nikon bodies its just with film  a 50mm was actually 50 and on a non DX digital its value would act as a 75mm or so I am told because of sensor size. I am still using a D80 but its all I need and the lens price has slowed my photo hobbie down still need a wide angle (expensive) and a 35 or 50 prime not sure yet.

Uniblurb all Nikon lens work on all Nikon bodies its just with film  a 50mm was actually 50 and on a non DX digital its value would act as a 75mm or so I am told because of sensor size. I am still using a D80 but its all I need and the lens price has slowed my photo hobbie down still need a wide angle (expensive) and a 35 or 50 prime not sure yet.

[ Edited ]
12 of 52 (1,463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2012 5:26:38 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by SomeJoe7777 on Aug 25, 2012 at 5:28:00 PM

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Houston Camera Exchange unfortunately did not offer me anything for the EOS 10S.  (I somewhat expected that might be the case).  They said that can't give 35mm film cameras away even with free tickets to an Astros game. Smiley Very Happy  Not sure which of those items is worth less.

But they had a very nice used EOS 40D for the right price, so I bought it.  I also did end up purchasing one lens, though, because my 3 lenses were 35-80mm, 28-105mm, and 70-210mm.  Because of the difference in size between a 35mm film frame and the digital image sensor in the 40D, all those focal lengths get multiplied by 1.6.  So those 3 lenses become the equivalent of 56-128mm, 44-168mm, and 112-336mm.

The 56-128mm is obviated because its entire range can be covered by the 44-168mm.  The 112-336mm is a very old lens from Sigma, apparently it's chip will not properly autofocus with the newer Canons.  It mounts on the body and can be used in manual focus mode, but I probably won't do that.  So that leaves only the 44-168mm as a good usable lens, and I wanted another lens to cover a bit more of a wide angle.

So I also bought a standard 18-55mm lens (equivalent of 28-90mm on a 35mm camera), which is also much lighter than any of the other lenses.

Then I had to add on an 8GB CF card, tripod mounting plate, UV filter, and polarizing filter. Smiley Surprised

The total went over my limit, but isn't that how it always goes when you do these things? Smiley Wink

So, I think I'm set.  I hope to get some good pictures (and video) while on my trip.  By the way, Uni, you're correct -- I already have a 1080p camcorder (also a Canon) that works very well, so any movie modes on this camera don't matter.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Houston Camera Exchange unfortunately did not offer me anything for the EOS 10S.  (I somewhat expected that might be the case).  They said that can't give 35mm film cameras away even with free tickets to an Astros game. Smiley Very Happy  Not sure which of those items is worth less.

But they had a very nice used EOS 40D for the right price, so I bought it.  I also did end up purchasing one lens, though, because my 3 lenses were 35-80mm, 28-105mm, and 70-210mm.  Because of the difference in size between a 35mm film frame and the digital image sensor in the 40D, all those focal lengths get multiplied by 1.6.  So those 3 lenses become the equivalent of 56-128mm, 44-168mm, and 112-336mm.

The 56-128mm is obviated because its entire range can be covered by the 44-168mm.  The 112-336mm is a very old lens from Sigma, apparently it's chip will not properly autofocus with the newer Canons.  It mounts on the body and can be used in manual focus mode, but I probably won't do that.  So that leaves only the 44-168mm as a good usable lens, and I wanted another lens to cover a bit more of a wide angle.

So I also bought a standard 18-55mm lens (equivalent of 28-90mm on a 35mm camera), which is also much lighter than any of the other lenses.

Then I had to add on an 8GB CF card, tripod mounting plate, UV filter, and polarizing filter. Smiley Surprised

The total went over my limit, but isn't that how it always goes when you do these things? Smiley Wink

So, I think I'm set.  I hope to get some good pictures (and video) while on my trip.  By the way, Uni, you're correct -- I already have a 1080p camcorder (also a Canon) that works very well, so any movie modes on this camera don't matter.

[ Edited ]
13 of 52 (1,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2012 5:36:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Aug 25, 2012 at 5:46:08 PM

I'm no expert.  Just a serious hobbiest.   So.....

I own a Canon Rebel XSi which has the 12 mp sensor.  I have the original 18 - 55 mm lens that came with it and I purchased the 55 - 250 mm lens.  To convert these focal lengths to 35mm film sizes which most of us are more familiar with.....you multiply by about 1.6.

The latest Rebel model from Canon is the T4i.    If I could afford it I'd have one in a minute but I can't justify it.   If you can find a good price on the T3i that would be a good way to go.  Keep in mind that those older lenses might fit but probably not compatible with the auto exposure and focus of the latest models.  Also....the digital sensor is smaller than the 35mm film frame.  The film lens will work with the digital sensor but only part of the field will show in the picture.  In reverse....digital lenses will not work properly with the 35mm film camera because the image the lens produces is smaller than the frame size...causing, in many cases, a vignetting effect. (think I spelled that right)

There is no doubt that modern lenses are sharper than the older ones.  Exotic glass formulations containing rare earths also contribute to sharper images with less distortion, etc. etc.

For the T4i and including the 18 - 55mm kit lens you'll part with around $850.

There is not a whole lot of difference between the T3i and the T4i.  But a couple are important.  For example.....if you shoot sports and like to hold the button down for muliple exposures the T4i will take more in each burst and at a faster rate.   The internal firmware (electronics and programming) is the very latest version and THAT can be very important in the digital world.   But....in general....the T3i would be a great camera.  Perhaps the last one you ever buy.

If you don't like having to change lenses in the middle of taking pictures....you might buy the body only and then take a close look at the TAMRON 18 - 270mm zoom lens...with the new, quiet auto focus motor, etc.  This lens has received rave reviews.  Especially as an all purpose lens.....particularly for travelers.  It is an amazingly compact lens for such large range.  Distortion figures are really quite excellent for this kind of lens.  If I had the $500 to $600 to buy one I'd be a proud owner right now.  But I make do with my two Canon lenses.

Now....if interchangeable lenses are not important to you....Canon makes a camera, physically similar to a DSLR....the SX-40 (I think that is the model)  which has an extremely wide range zoom lens built onto it....but not user removeable.  I don't remember the focal length range and I'd have to exit this forum to go look it up.  But you can do that.  My grandson recently bought one and he loves it.  I think they are priced around $350 to $375.  It is a great all around camera.  The DSLR type viewfinder is NOT an optical finder like in a regular SLR.  Rather it is a high resolution LCD electronic viewfinder. 

Quality wise.....Nikon and Canon are  pretty much the same.  Tip top.  You really can't go wrong with either.  They generally have similar models at comparable prices but I'm not a Nikon man so I have not stayed abreast of their latest models.

RE Sony.  Also excellent quality.  Sony has made still cameras for many years.  But it was in the early 2000's that another famous maker, Minolta, decided to get out of the mass market and stopped making cameras.  Minolta made a deal with Sony.  All of the company's R & D in DSLR design was turned over to Sony when Sony bought out this part of the Konica/Minolta business.  Sony agreed to support warranties of Minolta cameras already sold and still covered.  Sony also agreed to use the Minolta lens mount so that all the zillions of Minolta owners with stables of that company's lenses would not get left with useless glass.  Currently....the higher end Sony lenses are designed by Zeiss and carry that brand name.  There is no doubt that they are excellent cameras.

Now...finally....Panasonic.   In the world of photography there is a brand name which carries an almost religious connotation.  Especially for its lenses.   I am referring to Leica.  Many photographers....professionals and serious amateurs alike....believe that the images produced by a Leica lens possess a beautiful quality that really cannot be defined.  More or less spiritual quality.  Contrast is usually more moderate and highlight and shadow detail seems to be better rendered by Leica lenses.  Panasonic high end cameras use Leica lenses.  My middle son uses one and, indeed, his images have wonderful quality.  Absolutely no argument here that Leica lens design is the best on the planet......at least not from me.   BUT...ain't there always a but?.....at least until recently Panasonc cameras have had some problems with image noise.  Not much you understand but it is measurable and in huge enlargments it has been visible.   I've not been following Panasonc's progress so perhaps this has been corrected.

Now is a good time to mention image "noise" in digital cameras.  Basically....the higher the resoution of the sensor....the more pixels are crowded into the same dimension area....resulting in less light gathering capability for each tiny pixel and, therefore, less signal output.  This is compensated for by higher amplification in the on-board circuitry....which, in turn, results in higher noise generation.  Manufacturers have spent a lot of time and money on this problem.  Some with greater success than others.  In my opinion Canon is one of the most successful....while still maintaining sharpness.  Other manufacturers..at least some of them...have countered the problem by sacrificing definition (sharpness).  My DSLR is 12 megapixels.  The Canon T4i has an 18 mp sensor.  But physically they are the same size so that is 6 million additional pixels crowded into the same space.  Get the picture?   The various solutions have been very creative.....both in the on-board firmware and in the design of the sensors themselves.  AND extensive research continues.  Some just accept slightly reduced sharpness which kind of "hides" the noise.

Remember when super high speed film emulsions became available?  They could take pictures in a lot less light but graininess of the image was a problem.  It never was completely solved.  Well....."noise" in a digital image results in a similar (not exactly the same) situation.  In all fairness I should point out that these imperfections don't really become apparent except in really large blow-ups or when cropping down to only small parts of an image.  Viewing distance is a factor also.  I've got a gorgeous 20" X 30" enlargement of a picture I took in the Canadian Rockies hanging over our fireplace.  That photo was taken with a 4 megapixel Minolta point-and-shoot camera.  Pixelation and noise are hardly noticeable.  But then...that large of a photo is normally viewed from several feet away.  Get my nose right up to it and, yes, I can see the impercetions.

Professional grade cameras don't really shoot much better pictures than the amateur variety like the Canon Rebel series.  BUT....for example....a 24 megapixel sensor is physically larger and thus sharper and less noise problems.  Also the camera is thoroughly sealed against dust and moisture, the shutters are tested for much heavier use, etc. etc. etc.    Great....but it all comes at a price.  Typically $2,000 to $6,000.  For a pro whose livelihood depends on getting good results.....that is justifiable.   But it ain't in my budget and I don't imagine it is in most of your budgets either.

The Canon T3i is still current.  It has very high resolution at 18 mp and noise is way down.  The images are very sharp and the ISO (we used to call it film speed ASA) can be pushed very high.  I've forgotten the exact figure.

For really thorough information and testing of photographic equipment....only one site really stands out.  Go HERE.   IMHO it is the very best and there are reviews on digital cameras dating back years.  Thorough lab testing...sample photos....reader opinions....comparisons with other brands of comparable cost....etc. etc. etc. 

Guess I'd better shut up.  Your quarter's worth ran out.

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. .......Margaret Thatcher

I'm no expert.  Just a serious hobbiest.   So.....

I own a Canon Rebel XSi which has the 12 mp sensor.  I have the original 18 - 55 mm lens that came with it and I purchased the 55 - 250 mm lens.  To convert these focal lengths to 35mm film sizes which most of us are more familiar with.....you multiply by about 1.6.

The latest Rebel model from Canon is the T4i.    If I could afford it I'd have one in a minute but I can't justify it.   If you can find a good price on the T3i that would be a good way to go.  Keep in mind that those older lenses might fit but probably not compatible with the auto exposure and focus of the latest models.  Also....the digital sensor is smaller than the 35mm film frame.  The film lens will work with the digital sensor but only part of the field will show in the picture.  In reverse....digital lenses will not work properly with the 35mm film camera because the image the lens produces is smaller than the frame size...causing, in many cases, a vignetting effect. (think I spelled that right)

There is no doubt that modern lenses are sharper than the older ones.  Exotic glass formulations containing rare earths also contribute to sharper images with less distortion, etc. etc.

For the T4i and including the 18 - 55mm kit lens you'll part with around $850.

There is not a whole lot of difference between the T3i and the T4i.  But a couple are important.  For example.....if you shoot sports and like to hold the button down for muliple exposures the T4i will take more in each burst and at a faster rate.   The internal firmware (electronics and programming) is the very latest version and THAT can be very important in the digital world.   But....in general....the T3i would be a great camera.  Perhaps the last one you ever buy.

If you don't like having to change lenses in the middle of taking pictures....you might buy the body only and then take a close look at the TAMRON 18 - 270mm zoom lens...with the new, quiet auto focus motor, etc.  This lens has received rave reviews.  Especially as an all purpose lens.....particularly for travelers.  It is an amazingly compact lens for such large range.  Distortion figures are really quite excellent for this kind of lens.  If I had the $500 to $600 to buy one I'd be a proud owner right now.  But I make do with my two Canon lenses.

Now....if interchangeable lenses are not important to you....Canon makes a camera, physically similar to a DSLR....the SX-40 (I think that is the model)  which has an extremely wide range zoom lens built onto it....but not user removeable.  I don't remember the focal length range and I'd have to exit this forum to go look it up.  But you can do that.  My grandson recently bought one and he loves it.  I think they are priced around $350 to $375.  It is a great all around camera.  The DSLR type viewfinder is NOT an optical finder like in a regular SLR.  Rather it is a high resolution LCD electronic viewfinder. 

Quality wise.....Nikon and Canon are  pretty much the same.  Tip top.  You really can't go wrong with either.  They generally have similar models at comparable prices but I'm not a Nikon man so I have not stayed abreast of their latest models.

RE Sony.  Also excellent quality.  Sony has made still cameras for many years.  But it was in the early 2000's that another famous maker, Minolta, decided to get out of the mass market and stopped making cameras.  Minolta made a deal with Sony.  All of the company's R & D in DSLR design was turned over to Sony when Sony bought out this part of the Konica/Minolta business.  Sony agreed to support warranties of Minolta cameras already sold and still covered.  Sony also agreed to use the Minolta lens mount so that all the zillions of Minolta owners with stables of that company's lenses would not get left with useless glass.  Currently....the higher end Sony lenses are designed by Zeiss and carry that brand name.  There is no doubt that they are excellent cameras.

Now...finally....Panasonic.   In the world of photography there is a brand name which carries an almost religious connotation.  Especially for its lenses.   I am referring to Leica.  Many photographers....professionals and serious amateurs alike....believe that the images produced by a Leica lens possess a beautiful quality that really cannot be defined.  More or less spiritual quality.  Contrast is usually more moderate and highlight and shadow detail seems to be better rendered by Leica lenses.  Panasonic high end cameras use Leica lenses.  My middle son uses one and, indeed, his images have wonderful quality.  Absolutely no argument here that Leica lens design is the best on the planet......at least not from me.   BUT...ain't there always a but?.....at least until recently Panasonc cameras have had some problems with image noise.  Not much you understand but it is measurable and in huge enlargments it has been visible.   I've not been following Panasonc's progress so perhaps this has been corrected.

Now is a good time to mention image "noise" in digital cameras.  Basically....the higher the resoution of the sensor....the more pixels are crowded into the same dimension area....resulting in less light gathering capability for each tiny pixel and, therefore, less signal output.  This is compensated for by higher amplification in the on-board circuitry....which, in turn, results in higher noise generation.  Manufacturers have spent a lot of time and money on this problem.  Some with greater success than others.  In my opinion Canon is one of the most successful....while still maintaining sharpness.  Other manufacturers..at least some of them...have countered the problem by sacrificing definition (sharpness).  My DSLR is 12 megapixels.  The Canon T4i has an 18 mp sensor.  But physically they are the same size so that is 6 million additional pixels crowded into the same space.  Get the picture?   The various solutions have been very creative.....both in the on-board firmware and in the design of the sensors themselves.  AND extensive research continues.  Some just accept slightly reduced sharpness which kind of "hides" the noise.

Remember when super high speed film emulsions became available?  They could take pictures in a lot less light but graininess of the image was a problem.  It never was completely solved.  Well....."noise" in a digital image results in a similar (not exactly the same) situation.  In all fairness I should point out that these imperfections don't really become apparent except in really large blow-ups or when cropping down to only small parts of an image.  Viewing distance is a factor also.  I've got a gorgeous 20" X 30" enlargement of a picture I took in the Canadian Rockies hanging over our fireplace.  That photo was taken with a 4 megapixel Minolta point-and-shoot camera.  Pixelation and noise are hardly noticeable.  But then...that large of a photo is normally viewed from several feet away.  Get my nose right up to it and, yes, I can see the impercetions.

Professional grade cameras don't really shoot much better pictures than the amateur variety like the Canon Rebel series.  BUT....for example....a 24 megapixel sensor is physically larger and thus sharper and less noise problems.  Also the camera is thoroughly sealed against dust and moisture, the shutters are tested for much heavier use, etc. etc. etc.    Great....but it all comes at a price.  Typically $2,000 to $6,000.  For a pro whose livelihood depends on getting good results.....that is justifiable.   But it ain't in my budget and I don't imagine it is in most of your budgets either.

The Canon T3i is still current.  It has very high resolution at 18 mp and noise is way down.  The images are very sharp and the ISO (we used to call it film speed ASA) can be pushed very high.  I've forgotten the exact figure.

For really thorough information and testing of photographic equipment....only one site really stands out.  Go HERE.   IMHO it is the very best and there are reviews on digital cameras dating back years.  Thorough lab testing...sample photos....reader opinions....comparisons with other brands of comparable cost....etc. etc. etc. 

Guess I'd better shut up.  Your quarter's worth ran out.

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. .......Margaret Thatcher

[ Edited ]
14 of 52 (1,439 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2012 7:44:25 PM
(0)
Expert

Phil, thank you very much for that write-up.  That brings together a lot of things that are specific to digital SLR photography that are exceedingly useful.

I know a decent amount (not a huge amount) about photography, but I learned it all back in the film days, so digital is completely new to me.  Many of the same things apply, but not all.

I think we may have been posting at the same time ... in my post above I explained that I went ahead and got a used 40D.  It's 10 Mpx, and only 1 generation out of date (the current equivalent model is the 60D).

I actually did read the review of the 40D on dpreview.com, and they liked it.  I'll have to say, that's one of the most comprehensive reviews (and websites) I've seen.  Definitely will be going back there to read more about digital photography.

I'm going to try to take some test photos this coming week and see how they turn out.  Guess I need to figure out how to manipulate RAW images. Smiley Very Happy

Phil, thank you very much for that write-up.  That brings together a lot of things that are specific to digital SLR photography that are exceedingly useful.

I know a decent amount (not a huge amount) about photography, but I learned it all back in the film days, so digital is completely new to me.  Many of the same things apply, but not all.

I think we may have been posting at the same time ... in my post above I explained that I went ahead and got a used 40D.  It's 10 Mpx, and only 1 generation out of date (the current equivalent model is the 60D).

I actually did read the review of the 40D on dpreview.com, and they liked it.  I'll have to say, that's one of the most comprehensive reviews (and websites) I've seen.  Definitely will be going back there to read more about digital photography.

I'm going to try to take some test photos this coming week and see how they turn out.  Guess I need to figure out how to manipulate RAW images. Smiley Very Happy

15 of 52 (1,426 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2012 7:49:02 PM
(0)
Master

I take to many pictures for raw it eats a card up in a hurry.

I take to many pictures for raw it eats a card up in a hurry.

16 of 52 (1,421 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2012 9:01:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

S.J.  -  Check the download section of support on the Canon web site and see if there are any firmware updates for that camera available.

Also Canon's "Digital Photo Pro" and other software are downloadable from that site I think. 

In addition you'll want the Canon Raw Codec to install on your PC so that Windows Explorer will see and be able to show your RAW format images.  I think the latest version of Windows Live Photo Gallery already has the ability built in.

For image editing and management I have found that Adobe's PhotoShop Elements 10 is very nice.  I picked it up at Staples on sale one day for $65.  You can download a 30 day trial from Adobe's web site and see if you like it.  It contains 90% of the image control features that are found in the full blown Adobe PhotoShop.....still more than I know how to use.    Another good one is Corel's Paint Shop Photo Pro X4.  But I like the Adobe program better because I'm used to it.

I shoot everything in RAW format.  An 8 gb SD card will hold well over 400 RAW images and they really are not all THAT big.  Around 17.5 mb per file I think.  It's just raw data and it makes adjustments in exposure, color, sharpness, etc. so easy.....because essentially it is just like changing the adjustment on the camera.  Only thing you cannot change post-exposure is focus.  Ain't no help for an out-of-focus picture.  After I make any minor adjustments I save the image as a TIFF file with NO compression.  At this point, after the raw data has been converted into an image, the file size usually as grown to 25 to 30 mb.

Once you become familiar with it you'll find it easy to do.  Sure better than all those hours I spent in my darkroom processing my color slides or processing color movie stock at the TV station.  I developed a skin allergy to the color developer so had to wear rubber gloves all the time.  I went digital in 1999 and never looked back.  For once I had more foresight than poor old Kodak did.

S.J.  -  Check the download section of support on the Canon web site and see if there are any firmware updates for that camera available.

Also Canon's "Digital Photo Pro" and other software are downloadable from that site I think. 

In addition you'll want the Canon Raw Codec to install on your PC so that Windows Explorer will see and be able to show your RAW format images.  I think the latest version of Windows Live Photo Gallery already has the ability built in.

For image editing and management I have found that Adobe's PhotoShop Elements 10 is very nice.  I picked it up at Staples on sale one day for $65.  You can download a 30 day trial from Adobe's web site and see if you like it.  It contains 90% of the image control features that are found in the full blown Adobe PhotoShop.....still more than I know how to use.    Another good one is Corel's Paint Shop Photo Pro X4.  But I like the Adobe program better because I'm used to it.

I shoot everything in RAW format.  An 8 gb SD card will hold well over 400 RAW images and they really are not all THAT big.  Around 17.5 mb per file I think.  It's just raw data and it makes adjustments in exposure, color, sharpness, etc. so easy.....because essentially it is just like changing the adjustment on the camera.  Only thing you cannot change post-exposure is focus.  Ain't no help for an out-of-focus picture.  After I make any minor adjustments I save the image as a TIFF file with NO compression.  At this point, after the raw data has been converted into an image, the file size usually as grown to 25 to 30 mb.

Once you become familiar with it you'll find it easy to do.  Sure better than all those hours I spent in my darkroom processing my color slides or processing color movie stock at the TV station.  I developed a skin allergy to the color developer so had to wear rubber gloves all the time.  I went digital in 1999 and never looked back.  For once I had more foresight than poor old Kodak did.

17 of 52 (1,411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2012 5:25:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've been digital since 1996 starting with a Minolta that's highest resolution was 640x480.  When I first got my Digital Rebel (the original 300DS) I discovered dpreview and was a daily visitor to the web site.  I still get reviews in my email, but I really haven't had the time for photography like I used to so I haven't visited the web site in quite a while. Their forums are pretty good as well and they have (or used to have) rooms for specific brands and/or  cameras so you can get more detailed help as opposed to general help.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've been digital since 1996 starting with a Minolta that's highest resolution was 640x480.  When I first got my Digital Rebel (the original 300DS) I discovered dpreview and was a daily visitor to the web site.  I still get reviews in my email, but I really haven't had the time for photography like I used to so I haven't visited the web site in quite a while. Their forums are pretty good as well and they have (or used to have) rooms for specific brands and/or  cameras so you can get more detailed help as opposed to general help.

18 of 52 (1,388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2012 3:19:34 PM
(0)
Expert

You know, I had just boxed up three 35mm, and lenses and was going to try pawning them...never been in a pawn shop!  I figured nobody would buy them.

I was told several years ago that my old lenses would NOT work with the new DSLRs, apparently not true?  Or have changes been made that allow it?  One Minolta with no interchangeable lenses, and two Pentax.  Would really like to be able to use the lenses with another brand's body!   Love my Canon P&S Elph, and if buying new DSLR, it's going to be my first choice.

Any help with that privately, just PM me. Smiley Wink  Some lenses are screw-mount, others are bayonet, but use a bayonet converter for the screw ones.

Sounds like you're all set there, SJ!  Don't forget to send some photos to us here.

And to the red bird leg in the yard, laid there for 2 days, but I bet it had to be a red-tailed hawk, or owl (if they would bother with something that small).  If it was killed by a ground animal, why would they leave a leg?

Lots of red-tails around here, but never seen them in the 'hood.  Know their eyesight is amazing, but with trees and houses all clumped together, seems it would be difficult.

You know, I had just boxed up three 35mm, and lenses and was going to try pawning them...never been in a pawn shop!  I figured nobody would buy them.

I was told several years ago that my old lenses would NOT work with the new DSLRs, apparently not true?  Or have changes been made that allow it?  One Minolta with no interchangeable lenses, and two Pentax.  Would really like to be able to use the lenses with another brand's body!   Love my Canon P&S Elph, and if buying new DSLR, it's going to be my first choice.

Any help with that privately, just PM me. Smiley Wink  Some lenses are screw-mount, others are bayonet, but use a bayonet converter for the screw ones.

Sounds like you're all set there, SJ!  Don't forget to send some photos to us here.

And to the red bird leg in the yard, laid there for 2 days, but I bet it had to be a red-tailed hawk, or owl (if they would bother with something that small).  If it was killed by a ground animal, why would they leave a leg?

Lots of red-tails around here, but never seen them in the 'hood.  Know their eyesight is amazing, but with trees and houses all clumped together, seems it would be difficult.

19 of 52 (1,305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2012 5:35:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

SPD, nearly all interchangeable lenses will fit only the camera they were made for.  Independent lens manufacturers have to make their lenses available with the proper mounts for all the major cameras.  The Sony - Minolta arrangement is rather unique because of the situation I described in my previous post.  AND.....even within each brand, new advances in lens making and newer advanced capabilities built into cameras in recent years have led to need for changes in their lens mounts.  Thus...making them incompatible with older camera bodies and, usually, making the older lenses incompatible with newer bodies.  Now this isn't always completely true.  In some cases the older lens may fit the newer camera body but certain features....such as auto focus or auto exposure....may not work and the photographer has to resort to manual adjustment (like everything was in the old days - how spoiled we are now).

Minolta cameras are no longer made and neither are Konicas (there was a day when Konica lenses were among the best in the world).  Pentax, Olympus, Fuji, Nikon, Canon, Sony and Panasonic Lumix are the major brands today.  Leica, Hasselblad and others of that class are usually very expensive....thousands of dollars.

Out of all those brands....as far as I know....only the Sony uses a lens mount that originated on another brand, Minolta.

Despite the belief among some folks that the older designs are just as good as the new.....I would respectfully disagree.  In a previous post I indicated that new technologies, computer design and new/expensive glass formulas that include rare elements are now commonly available.  They are sharper, less distortion and have improved detail.  The old lenses....good as they were....just can't compete.

As I suggested to S.J. .....in my opinion the best, most useful and convenient, general purpose package an amateur can buy is a good camera body combined with one of the new design, compact zoom lenses.  The brand name lenses.....matching the brand of your camera body....are the most expensive way to go.  But really excellent models are available from the leading independent lens manufacturers...such as Tamron, Tokina or Sigma.  I'm looking at the Tamron 18mm to 270mm variable focal length lens.  It is compact in size and has received excellent reviews.  All purpose, ultra-zooms like this one must, of necessity, require some compromises.  But the bad effects of the compromises have been much reduced these days....often to the point of insignificance.   Changing lenses on the fly is inconvenient and often dangerous to the lens (if it gets dropped for example).  A professional photographer will have three or four (or more) camera bodies on the shoot with a different lens already mounted on each body. He/she just grabs the one they want at any given time.   Guys and gals like us poor folks are normally stuck with one camera body.  The ultra zooms are great for us.

One more point and then I'll quit.   If you are really interested....get a subscription to Popular Photography Magazine.  There are others but Pop Photography is one of the oldest photography magazines around.  I'm 76 and I used to read my dad's copies when I was a kid.  Their camera and lens tests and reviews are also highly respected.....in addition to the web site I posted the link for previously.  Naturally Pop Photo Mag has a web site and a very good forum for those looking for help.  Lots of the info that appears in the magazine also eventually becomes available on the web site.

SPD, nearly all interchangeable lenses will fit only the camera they were made for.  Independent lens manufacturers have to make their lenses available with the proper mounts for all the major cameras.  The Sony - Minolta arrangement is rather unique because of the situation I described in my previous post.  AND.....even within each brand, new advances in lens making and newer advanced capabilities built into cameras in recent years have led to need for changes in their lens mounts.  Thus...making them incompatible with older camera bodies and, usually, making the older lenses incompatible with newer bodies.  Now this isn't always completely true.  In some cases the older lens may fit the newer camera body but certain features....such as auto focus or auto exposure....may not work and the photographer has to resort to manual adjustment (like everything was in the old days - how spoiled we are now).

Minolta cameras are no longer made and neither are Konicas (there was a day when Konica lenses were among the best in the world).  Pentax, Olympus, Fuji, Nikon, Canon, Sony and Panasonic Lumix are the major brands today.  Leica, Hasselblad and others of that class are usually very expensive....thousands of dollars.

Out of all those brands....as far as I know....only the Sony uses a lens mount that originated on another brand, Minolta.

Despite the belief among some folks that the older designs are just as good as the new.....I would respectfully disagree.  In a previous post I indicated that new technologies, computer design and new/expensive glass formulas that include rare elements are now commonly available.  They are sharper, less distortion and have improved detail.  The old lenses....good as they were....just can't compete.

As I suggested to S.J. .....in my opinion the best, most useful and convenient, general purpose package an amateur can buy is a good camera body combined with one of the new design, compact zoom lenses.  The brand name lenses.....matching the brand of your camera body....are the most expensive way to go.  But really excellent models are available from the leading independent lens manufacturers...such as Tamron, Tokina or Sigma.  I'm looking at the Tamron 18mm to 270mm variable focal length lens.  It is compact in size and has received excellent reviews.  All purpose, ultra-zooms like this one must, of necessity, require some compromises.  But the bad effects of the compromises have been much reduced these days....often to the point of insignificance.   Changing lenses on the fly is inconvenient and often dangerous to the lens (if it gets dropped for example).  A professional photographer will have three or four (or more) camera bodies on the shoot with a different lens already mounted on each body. He/she just grabs the one they want at any given time.   Guys and gals like us poor folks are normally stuck with one camera body.  The ultra zooms are great for us.

One more point and then I'll quit.   If you are really interested....get a subscription to Popular Photography Magazine.  There are others but Pop Photography is one of the oldest photography magazines around.  I'm 76 and I used to read my dad's copies when I was a kid.  Their camera and lens tests and reviews are also highly respected.....in addition to the web site I posted the link for previously.  Naturally Pop Photo Mag has a web site and a very good forum for those looking for help.  Lots of the info that appears in the magazine also eventually becomes available on the web site.

20 of 52 (1,301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2012 12:37:20 PM
(0)
Employee

If they are the short lens just use them as paper weights or something cool from the past on a shelf.

If they are the short lens just use them as paper weights or something cool from the past on a shelf.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

21 of 52 (1,300 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2012 12:53:50 PM
(0)
Expert

Then it's still a no-go for using those lenses.  Pentax is no longer the leader, IMO. Smiley Sad  And I ain't going back from digital either!

Elph is old at 6 megapixels, but takes much clearer photos than the 8 megapixel phone! 

Now if I could just get my collection as organized as Phil's, LOL!

Then it's still a no-go for using those lenses.  Pentax is no longer the leader, IMO. Smiley Sad  And I ain't going back from digital either!

Elph is old at 6 megapixels, but takes much clearer photos than the 8 megapixel phone! 

Now if I could just get my collection as organized as Phil's, LOL!

22 of 52 (1,297 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2012 2:07:49 PM
(0)
Master

I just pulled my brother's old camera gear out and found none of the lenses, which fit the Nikon FE camera body (1978-1983), are actually Nikon brand lenses. So maybe that's why they won't work on a digital SLR Nikon camera body?

Lenses include:

- Asanuma, Auto-Zoom, 1:3.5, f=70-220mm, No. 114155

- Osawa MC, 1:35-4.5, 35-105mm, Macro 55, No. 3560213

- Sigma Mini-Wide, 1:28, f=28mm, No. I-300141

My brother took a lot of shots of the hand crafted gold jewelry he made hence the close-up lenses. Too bad when doing a search this stuff is selling for peanuts.

I also still have my trusty Minolta SRT-101 w/an off-brand 400mm manual telephoto lens. I saw on ebay where you can buy a complete 101 camera kit w/flash for $10! LOL.

My digital Oympus camera (5MP) takes great photos but just doesn't have the advantages of a digital SLR camera with interchangeable lenses.

Uniblurb3

I just pulled my brother's old camera gear out and found none of the lenses, which fit the Nikon FE camera body (1978-1983), are actually Nikon brand lenses. So maybe that's why they won't work on a digital SLR Nikon camera body?

Lenses include:

- Asanuma, Auto-Zoom, 1:3.5, f=70-220mm, No. 114155

- Osawa MC, 1:35-4.5, 35-105mm, Macro 55, No. 3560213

- Sigma Mini-Wide, 1:28, f=28mm, No. I-300141

My brother took a lot of shots of the hand crafted gold jewelry he made hence the close-up lenses. Too bad when doing a search this stuff is selling for peanuts.

I also still have my trusty Minolta SRT-101 w/an off-brand 400mm manual telephoto lens. I saw on ebay where you can buy a complete 101 camera kit w/flash for $10! LOL.

My digital Oympus camera (5MP) takes great photos but just doesn't have the advantages of a digital SLR camera with interchangeable lenses.

Uniblurb3

23 of 52 (1,288 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2012 2:33:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

When my wife, an Minolta SLR buff, went to make the jump to DSLR she wanted to keep her Minolta lens.  The only problem was, she had bought her SLR before autofocus occurred, so she had no autofocus lenses.  I can't imagine using a DSLR without an autofocus lens.  She bought a Sony Alpha anyway and is quite happy with it.

When my wife, an Minolta SLR buff, went to make the jump to DSLR she wanted to keep her Minolta lens.  The only problem was, she had bought her SLR before autofocus occurred, so she had no autofocus lenses.  I can't imagine using a DSLR without an autofocus lens.  She bought a Sony Alpha anyway and is quite happy with it.

24 of 52 (1,283 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2012 2:53:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Oh me.  I promised to shut up on this particular topic.....but today I was checking my E-mails and there was a Staples sale promotion in the list.  I took a look and did a search.

The Adobe PhotoShop Elements 10 program is available from Staples for $64.99.  The list price is $99.99.  That is a great price for a program that will handle everything you might want to do with your images.  AND it really is a "double" app. because it has two parts.....the "Editor" and the "Organizer".  As I pointed out earlier....I have this program and it's the one I rely on 99% of the time now.  Except for organizing my images.   Mine are all in chronological order from approx. 1941 through the present  PLUS my collection of hundreds of old family pictures back to the late 1800's. There are literally many THOUSANDS of them.  There ain't no way, no how that I'm gonna attempt a complete re-organization of my photos.  I'm not going through THAT again.

But, if your images are NOT organized and just laying around on your hard drive or in boxes.....you could make good use of this two part program.   Get those old slides and prints scanned and saved in digital format.  If you are scanning negatives this Adobe program will allow you to reverse them to positive for future use....whatever.   Fairly decent scanners are not terribly expensive.  Like everything else it depends on just how persnickety you are.

Anyway...just thought I'd make you aware of this excellent price break on the leading program of its kind.  In this particular field....Adobe is the best.

Oh me.  I promised to shut up on this particular topic.....but today I was checking my E-mails and there was a Staples sale promotion in the list.  I took a look and did a search.

The Adobe PhotoShop Elements 10 program is available from Staples for $64.99.  The list price is $99.99.  That is a great price for a program that will handle everything you might want to do with your images.  AND it really is a "double" app. because it has two parts.....the "Editor" and the "Organizer".  As I pointed out earlier....I have this program and it's the one I rely on 99% of the time now.  Except for organizing my images.   Mine are all in chronological order from approx. 1941 through the present  PLUS my collection of hundreds of old family pictures back to the late 1800's. There are literally many THOUSANDS of them.  There ain't no way, no how that I'm gonna attempt a complete re-organization of my photos.  I'm not going through THAT again.

But, if your images are NOT organized and just laying around on your hard drive or in boxes.....you could make good use of this two part program.   Get those old slides and prints scanned and saved in digital format.  If you are scanning negatives this Adobe program will allow you to reverse them to positive for future use....whatever.   Fairly decent scanners are not terribly expensive.  Like everything else it depends on just how persnickety you are.

Anyway...just thought I'd make you aware of this excellent price break on the leading program of its kind.  In this particular field....Adobe is the best.

25 of 52 (1,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2012 2:59:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Our Sony takes great pictures as far as I'm concerned.  The only problem is when there is a short circuit between the ground and the camera. 

My wife used it Saturday at a birthday party and brought everything home all nice and neat in the case just as it left.  So I hook up the camera to my laptop to download the pictures as she wanted to send some to the folks that were there.  I downloaded them and everyone was so blurry you could make heads or tails of anything in the picture.  All 53 of them.  Well after further investigation it seems she hit the switch from AF to MF.......(Auto focus to manual focus). 

Blamed me for that since I was the last one to use it.Smiley Mad  I have never put it on manual focus!!  No need to.  Anyway no point debating the fact so I just told her she was right and it was probably me..............It was all over then.  My fault or course.Smiley Very Happy

Our Sony takes great pictures as far as I'm concerned.  The only problem is when there is a short circuit between the ground and the camera. 

My wife used it Saturday at a birthday party and brought everything home all nice and neat in the case just as it left.  So I hook up the camera to my laptop to download the pictures as she wanted to send some to the folks that were there.  I downloaded them and everyone was so blurry you could make heads or tails of anything in the picture.  All 53 of them.  Well after further investigation it seems she hit the switch from AF to MF.......(Auto focus to manual focus). 

Blamed me for that since I was the last one to use it.Smiley Mad  I have never put it on manual focus!!  No need to.  Anyway no point debating the fact so I just told her she was right and it was probably me..............It was all over then.  My fault or course.Smiley Very Happy

26 of 52 (1,275 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2012 4:05:58 PM
(0)
Employee

The sign of a successful marriage.  Saying,  "Yes dear" and it sounds like you mean it.

Phil please don't fell like you have posted too much on cameras. I have enjoyed reading and learned a lot from yours and the other posts.  I need to scan and organize my family's pictures that are in boxes and old scrap books.

The sign of a successful marriage.  Saying,  "Yes dear" and it sounds like you mean it.

Phil please don't fell like you have posted too much on cameras. I have enjoyed reading and learned a lot from yours and the other posts.  I need to scan and organize my family's pictures that are in boxes and old scrap books.

27 of 52 (1,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2012 4:39:33 PM
(0)
Expert

I'm still trying to talk Phil into organizing my photo collection, for pay, of course. Smiley Wink

I'm still trying to talk Phil into organizing my photo collection, for pay, of course. Smiley Wink

28 of 52 (1,256 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2012 5:43:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I'm still "sold" on two digital photography tools:

Organization, Printing, "light" adjustments: Picasa

Editing: Paint .Net

Both worth every penny of the price you pay for them.

I'm still "sold" on two digital photography tools:

Organization, Printing, "light" adjustments: Picasa

Editing: Paint .Net

Both worth every penny of the price you pay for them.

29 of 52 (1,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2012 8:27:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Aug 27, 2012 at 8:42:44 PM

Ahhhh, Bee-Bee.....you've mastered the secret to a long and happy marriage.Smiley Wink

Jeffer:  Yes....Picassa is a well known and quite adequate program.  Not to mention that it is FREE.   BUT.....I tried it and I could never control it.  Darn program kept wanting to completely reorganize all my images even though I did not want it to.  It just seemed to have a mind of its own AND.....a common mistake developers make.....assumes that the user doesn't really know what is best for him/her and that THEY know better (the Microsoft syndrome).   I've tried to use Picassa more than once and have dumped it every time.  I am still trying to find and delete all the hundreds of Picassa image organization data files off my HDD's.   I'm a control freak.  I like Adobe because it gives ME control over what is happening.   If you can cope with Picassa.....great...more power to ya.Smiley Happy

Ahhhh, Bee-Bee.....you've mastered the secret to a long and happy marriage.Smiley Wink

Jeffer:  Yes....Picassa is a well known and quite adequate program.  Not to mention that it is FREE.   BUT.....I tried it and I could never control it.  Darn program kept wanting to completely reorganize all my images even though I did not want it to.  It just seemed to have a mind of its own AND.....a common mistake developers make.....assumes that the user doesn't really know what is best for him/her and that THEY know better (the Microsoft syndrome).   I've tried to use Picassa more than once and have dumped it every time.  I am still trying to find and delete all the hundreds of Picassa image organization data files off my HDD's.   I'm a control freak.  I like Adobe because it gives ME control over what is happening.   If you can cope with Picassa.....great...more power to ya.Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
30 of 52 (1,242 Views)