Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 27, 2012
4:12:55 AM
View profile
Weekly Off-Topic Thread #247

Wow, another week gone and by the time this thread is closed it will be another month in the books.  Cannot believe it's almost August already. 

Had my builders walk though on Wednesday, went good. Nothing major, just a bunch of cosmetic touch ups.  Supposed to close on the 1st.  Looking forward to having a house of our own and no more apartments.  My soon to be 4 year old needs a back yard to go play in.  Will be nice to have one.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Wow, another week gone and by the time this thread is closed it will be another month in the books.  Cannot believe it's almost August already. 

Had my builders walk though on Wednesday, went good. Nothing major, just a bunch of cosmetic touch ups.  Supposed to close on the 1st.  Looking forward to having a house of our own and no more apartments.  My soon to be 4 year old needs a back yard to go play in.  Will be nice to have one.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Weekly Off-Topic Thread #247

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2012 6:36:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Brickyard 400 weekend.  I haven't been in about 5 years.  Interestingly they are running the Grand Am cars on the road course today and then switching to the oval configuration overnight for Saturday's Nationwide and Sunday's cup race.  This is the first time since 1982 that Lucas Oil Raceway (Indianapolis raceway Park) hasn't had a NASCAR race.  The Nationwide race there was among the best on the schedule.

Remember when the BY400 was a Saturday afternoon race?

I would love to see the Australian V8 Supercars instead of the Grand Am cars - but guess who runs the Grand am series?  NASCAR!

Brickyard 400 weekend.  I haven't been in about 5 years.  Interestingly they are running the Grand Am cars on the road course today and then switching to the oval configuration overnight for Saturday's Nationwide and Sunday's cup race.  This is the first time since 1982 that Lucas Oil Raceway (Indianapolis raceway Park) hasn't had a NASCAR race.  The Nationwide race there was among the best on the schedule.

Remember when the BY400 was a Saturday afternoon race?

I would love to see the Australian V8 Supercars instead of the Grand Am cars - but guess who runs the Grand am series?  NASCAR!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #247

2 of 21 (996 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2012 2:59:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Australian V8 Supercars are coming to Austin, TX next year.  This year is the new F1 race at Circuit of the Americas and next year will be adding the Australian V8 Supercars, American LeMans Series (just announced) and MotoGP.  Would be cool if NASCAR added another road course and came to Austin.

Australian V8 Supercars are coming to Austin, TX next year.  This year is the new F1 race at Circuit of the Americas and next year will be adding the Australian V8 Supercars, American LeMans Series (just announced) and MotoGP.  Would be cool if NASCAR added another road course and came to Austin.

3 of 21 (975 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2012 5:04:50 AM
(0)
Expert

You'll have to post some photos when you're all settled, OU!  Bet you can't wait!

You'll have to post some photos when you're all settled, OU!  Bet you can't wait!

4 of 21 (958 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2012 6:02:51 AM
(0)
Master

oufanindallas wrote:

Perfect excuse to buy new tools. Smiley Very Happy  New mower, line trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer, chain saw. Uh, uh, uh. Smiley Very Happy

Chain saws, the only tool that comes with a hardhat and a "Hire the Handicapped" bumper sticker. Got me a pair of steel-toed shoes...  and cut my danged heel off! Smiley LOL

Yup, it's gonna be a great feeling OU, once your all settled in, to stand at your back door and survey your land.

Then you realize you've got to get out the mower, the line trimmer, the hedge trimmer.... Smiley Very Happy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

oufanindallas wrote:

Perfect excuse to buy new tools. Smiley Very Happy  New mower, line trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer, chain saw. Uh, uh, uh. Smiley Very Happy

Chain saws, the only tool that comes with a hardhat and a "Hire the Handicapped" bumper sticker. Got me a pair of steel-toed shoes...  and cut my danged heel off! Smiley LOL

Yup, it's gonna be a great feeling OU, once your all settled in, to stand at your back door and survey your land.

Then you realize you've got to get out the mower, the line trimmer, the hedge trimmer.... Smiley Very Happy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

5 of 21 (955 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2012 6:30:15 AM
(0)
Expert

Ouch, CJ!  How did you manage that?

Or hire someone to do the yardwork, what I've had to do with old age. Smiley Sad  I have a friend who has always done that, and looking back, I should have, too!

You'll be at home improvement stores/sites a lot, making a wish list of future upgrades!

Or hire someone to do the yardwork, what I've had to do with old age. Smiley Sad  I have a friend who has always done that, and looking back, I should have, too!

You'll be at home improvement stores/sites a lot, making a wish list of future upgrades!

6 of 21 (948 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2012 4:11:45 PM
(0)
Master

spd2demun wrote:

Wasn't really me. The line is from a C&W song I heard about 30 years ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpmR34WGaDM

spd2demun wrote:

Wasn't really me. The line is from a C&W song I heard about 30 years ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpmR34WGaDM

neon_sign.jpg

7 of 21 (936 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2012 4:26:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

spd2demun wrote:

Wife has already scoped out the services, $29/visit to mow, edge and trim as well as blow when complete.  We have a 1/4 acre lot and right now, no lawnmower or anything. Been living in either military housing or apartments since 2004 so it's not like I have a whole lot of tools.

spd2demun wrote:

Wife has already scoped out the services, $29/visit to mow, edge and trim as well as blow when complete.  We have a 1/4 acre lot and right now, no lawnmower or anything. Been living in either military housing or apartments since 2004 so it's not like I have a whole lot of tools.

8 of 21 (934 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2012 5:07:42 AM
(0)
Employee

This group can lick the icing off the cake with big doses of reality. Everything is doable if you have the cash. 

This group can lick the icing off the cake with big doses of reality. Everything is doable if you have the cash. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 21 (879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2012 10:59:12 PM
(0)
Expert
My $25 every week is worth every penny! If you do your own yard work, takes a lot of free time away, but no worries about it being done right! But then you have equipment to maintain, buy gas and oil, sharpen blades. If you lived close, you could have my gas edger and self-propelled mower. Smiley Wink

You WILL accumulate tools, LOL! And every closet will be full before you know it. I've been working on 30+ yrs. of closet cleaning!

Dang it, CJ, you fooled me!
My $25 every week is worth every penny! If you do your own yard work, takes a lot of free time away, but no worries about it being done right! But then you have equipment to maintain, buy gas and oil, sharpen blades. If you lived close, you could have my gas edger and self-propelled mower. Smiley Wink

You WILL accumulate tools, LOL! And every closet will be full before you know it. I've been working on 30+ yrs. of closet cleaning!

10 of 21 (859 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2012 3:53:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

spd2demun wrote:

I'm sure we will. Actually looking forward to  it. Between the closets in the rooms and the storage area, the attic is HUGE.  Going to build my own lift system to put stuff in the attic instead of paying for the one that's been advertised on TV.

spd2demun wrote:

I'm sure we will. Actually looking forward to  it. Between the closets in the rooms and the storage area, the attic is HUGE.  Going to build my own lift system to put stuff in the attic instead of paying for the one that's been advertised on TV.

11 of 21 (855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2012 5:21:54 AM
(0)

hmmm mowing lawns...I have kids...just saying. Plus Isaiah mows for others, pays for his gas for that and keeps the lawn mower running so I figure I'm getting a good deal. In exchange, he gets to live here Smiley Wink

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

hmmm mowing lawns...I have kids...just saying. Plus Isaiah mows for others, pays for his gas for that and keeps the lawn mower running so I figure I'm getting a good deal. In exchange, he gets to live here Smiley Wink

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

12 of 21 (849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2012 8:50:43 AM
(0)
Master

Speaking of mowing, finally had a reason to today. First time in about 40 to 45 days. Last year, every 3-5 days like clockwork.

Speaking of mowing, finally had a reason to today. First time in about 40 to 45 days. Last year, every 3-5 days like clockwork.

neon_sign.jpg

13 of 21 (837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2012 4:09:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Taylarie wrote:

I have a son, but he's not quite at the mowing age yet. He'll be 4 in November.  I've already been warning him though when he becomes a teenager he's mowing the lawn. Smiley Very Happy

Taylarie wrote:

I have a son, but he's not quite at the mowing age yet. He'll be 4 in November.  I've already been warning him though when he becomes a teenager he's mowing the lawn. Smiley Very Happy

14 of 21 (782 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2012 3:35:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Boy OU your a nice Dad!!  My Dad started me at 10 mowing the lawn and it was 1 acre.  His theory was "hey it's self propelled all you have to do is walk behind it".  Now I will give him credit....he always edged the curb, sidewalk and driveway, BUT after I finished mowing I had to trim around all the trees (52 of them) and along the privacy fence with hand trimmers.  You remember the kind you would squeeze down and the two blades closed?  What a chore that was.  Then one year for my birthday I received.....drum roll please.....a set of Sunbeam Rechargable Grass Trimmers.  They only lasted about 15 minutes per charge.  Worthless.  Went back to the hand trimmers so I could get done and go play!! 

Oh I almost forgot about having to sweep up all the clippings from edging off the driveway, sidwalk, and out by the street........Bag them and throw them away.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Boy OU your a nice Dad!!  My Dad started me at 10 mowing the lawn and it was 1 acre.  His theory was "hey it's self propelled all you have to do is walk behind it".  Now I will give him credit....he always edged the curb, sidewalk and driveway, BUT after I finished mowing I had to trim around all the trees (52 of them) and along the privacy fence with hand trimmers.  You remember the kind you would squeeze down and the two blades closed?  What a chore that was.  Then one year for my birthday I received.....drum roll please.....a set of Sunbeam Rechargable Grass Trimmers.  They only lasted about 15 minutes per charge.  Worthless.  Went back to the hand trimmers so I could get done and go play!! 

Oh I almost forgot about having to sweep up all the clippings from edging off the driveway, sidwalk, and out by the street........Bag them and throw them away.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

15 of 21 (771 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2012 3:54:32 PM
(0)
Expert

Yeah, the good old days before baggers and mulching mowers!  And brooms and dustpans instead of blowers!

Was that self-propelled one that propelled by YOURself? Smiley Very Happy  j/k!

Remember the manual push edgers?  Funny we started out green before it became cool!

One of my projects is to use leftover brick from house and make mowing strips all around, so no trimming required.  Maybe one of these days...

Yeah, the good old days before baggers and mulching mowers!  And brooms and dustpans instead of blowers!

Was that self-propelled one that propelled by YOURself? Smiley Very Happy  j/k!

Remember the manual push edgers?  Funny we started out green before it became cool!

One of my projects is to use leftover brick from house and make mowing strips all around, so no trimming required.  Maybe one of these days...

16 of 21 (769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2012 4:41:34 PM
(0)
Employee

Do you know how to tell when a kid is old enough to start mowing the lawn.  

It is when they quit wanting to help you mow the lawn.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

17 of 21 (767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2012 4:54:55 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Computer-Joe on Aug 1, 2012 at 4:58:51 AM

Escapee wrote:

Unfortunately, theses days, a lot of parents wouldn't even think of making their kids use power tools or doing yard work. They're too busy buying them smart-phones at ten years old and complaining that the schools are not turning their arrogant, snot-nosed, over-privileged children into geniuses at the same time they are also trying to teach them to act like humans (because the parents don't think thats their responsability anymore).

Escapee wrote:

Unfortunately, theses days, a lot of parents wouldn't even think of making their kids use power tools or doing yard work. They're too busy buying them smart-phones at ten years old and complaining that the schools are not turning their arrogant, snot-nosed, over-privileged children into geniuses at the same time they are also trying to teach them to act like humans (because the parents don't think thats their responsability anymore).

neon_sign.jpg

[ Edited ]
18 of 21 (742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2012 1:01:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Computer-Joe wrote:

Escapee wrote:

If I could give you a KUDO for that post I would.  Even though my son does play on the computer at home, we still make sure he actually plays.  It's tough living in an apartment where I don't have a yard and inconsiderate dog owners don't pick up messes and don't at least make an effort to avoid the areas where the kids play.  Next week when we are moved into our new house my son will be spending a great deal of time outside playing in the yard and with the new fort/play house/swing set we bought his along with his trike and other toys.

As for schools and sports, what ever happened to learning the lessons of failure and winning and losing.  Kids are growing up to be soft and rely on others to do something for them.  What are they going to do when those that are doing are no longer around?

Computer-Joe wrote:

Escapee wrote:

If I could give you a KUDO for that post I would.  Even though my son does play on the computer at home, we still make sure he actually plays.  It's tough living in an apartment where I don't have a yard and inconsiderate dog owners don't pick up messes and don't at least make an effort to avoid the areas where the kids play.  Next week when we are moved into our new house my son will be spending a great deal of time outside playing in the yard and with the new fort/play house/swing set we bought his along with his trike and other toys.

As for schools and sports, what ever happened to learning the lessons of failure and winning and losing.  Kids are growing up to be soft and rely on others to do something for them.  What are they going to do when those that are doing are no longer around?

19 of 21 (726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2012 6:12:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Computer-Joe wrote:

Escapee wrote:

Triple KUDOS for this one C.J.    I have yet to see any of the young men in our neighborhood helping their mom or dad with the yard work.  In contrast.....by the time I was 9 or 10 years old....mowing the yard was my responsibility....along with trimming the bushes and hedges and edging along the sidewalks, drive way and curbs.  My pop had his first heart attack at age 37 in 1943.  Mom took over the yard and then in '46 it became my job with an old reel type mower.  Had to catch all the clippings too.  Our kids had to help with the yard also...when they were old enough.

But C.J. said it very well.

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. .......Margaret Thatcher

Computer-Joe wrote:

Escapee wrote:

Triple KUDOS for this one C.J.    I have yet to see any of the young men in our neighborhood helping their mom or dad with the yard work.  In contrast.....by the time I was 9 or 10 years old....mowing the yard was my responsibility....along with trimming the bushes and hedges and edging along the sidewalks, drive way and curbs.  My pop had his first heart attack at age 37 in 1943.  Mom took over the yard and then in '46 it became my job with an old reel type mower.  Had to catch all the clippings too.  Our kids had to help with the yard also...when they were old enough.

But C.J. said it very well.

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. .......Margaret Thatcher

20 of 21 (700 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2012 3:33:11 AM
(0)
Employee

Cutting grass at home got me my first job cutting grass for a very connected neighbor.  I am not sure having that name on my job applications help open some doors. They moved to our neighborhood so they could have 13 acres for some ponies for the grand children. Everybody else in the area were school teachers or firemen.  I did not realize he was a mover in town until 20 years later and he led the ceremony for a policeman killed while on duty.   It was just a job to pay for month long school trip during the summer that lasted until I went to college. I did not have to work for a fast food place.

Cutting grass at home got me my first job cutting grass for a very connected neighbor.  I am not sure having that name on my job applications help open some doors. They moved to our neighborhood so they could have 13 acres for some ponies for the grand children. Everybody else in the area were school teachers or firemen.  I did not realize he was a mover in town until 20 years later and he led the ceremony for a policeman killed while on duty.   It was just a job to pay for month long school trip during the summer that lasted until I went to college. I did not have to work for a fast food place.

21 of 21 (690 Views)