Ask a question

Posted Oct 10, 2013
    2:28:34 PM
    View profile
    Web - Pop-ups Numerous !!

I just switched over my internet from AT&T DSL to AT&T U-verse and now i have a lot of "pop-ups: when i am surfing the web, so much that it is almost unbearable to be on the web. This did not happen when I had my old AT&T DSL. I have Norton Ant-virus etc. Anyone else having these problems? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Web - Pop-ups Numerous !!

10 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (10)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 11, 2013 6:46:17 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

95% of the web sites I visit do not have pop-ups. Our local news channel however has numerous pop-ups and is very annoying.  Even with pop-up blocker set they still appear.  Having UVerse has no bearing on pop-ups though as the same sites have the same issues at work.  Norton is an anti-virus program and has no bearing on pop-ups.  More than likely it is something in your browsers settings.

Firefox: Tools, Options, Content, check the box to Block Pop-up Windows.

Chrome: Settings, Show Advanced settings, Content Settings, Pop-ups

IE: Tools, Internet options, Privacy, Check the box for pop-up blocker.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Web - Pop-ups Numerous !!

2 of 11 (531 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 18, 2013 7:28:34 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

Well, I should have been more precise. Since moving to AT&T U-verse I have been having the following problem. When I am surfing the web whether on Explorer or Mozilla and let's say I'm on the web-site, Amazon. If I click on any of the links or try clicking on update my account, it brings me to something totally unrelated. This happen so much, that it makes it unbearable. I do have Norton 360 and do regualr checks. There are so many unrelated new windows that open up and it really does not matter what web-site I am on. Suggestions??

3 of 11 (492 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 18, 2013 2:52:19 PM
    (0)
    Employee
    Hi @karlhoze. While it is very much possible a concidence that you started getting pop-ups right after getting Uverse, it doesn't necessarily follow.

Try to examine your installed programs list (control panel). Uninstall any promo-looking or unfamiliar program. Try to search on the internet about a program if you are not sure about it.

Try also the MSCONFIG utility. You may want to disable unfamiliar items there. That's where I usually get the popups.

Better yet, try another computer, whether a desktop or a laptop, running whatever version of Windows, and see if the same thing still happens.
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 11 (471 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 19, 2013 5:18:28 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

karlhoze wrote:

Well, I should have been more precise. Since moving to AT&T U-verse I have been having the following problem. When I am surfing the web whether on Explorer or Mozilla and let's say I'm on the web-site, Amazon. If I click on any of the links or try clicking on update my account, it brings me to something totally unrelated. This happen so much, that it makes it unbearable. I do have Norton 360 and do regualr checks. There are so many unrelated new windows that open up and it really does not matter what web-site I am on. Suggestions??

It has nothing to do with your ISP.  Norton cannot catch everything either.  Download Malwarebytes and run a FULL scan, not just a quick scan. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 11 (456 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 23, 2013 8:54:18 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

I agree with the crowd... this really does sound like malware behavior.  Redirected DNS can be a bear to fix manually.  I hope that Malware Bytes will be able to help you.

If not, then you might want to try posting to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

6 of 11 (418 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 26, 2013 3:34:48 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

Jeffer, I actually sent a bleeping computer article to several of our customers when they became infected with the Cryptolocker virus.

7 of 11 (367 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 27, 2013 6:03:12 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

Some of the people who help out there, I sort of wonder about, but they do seem to fix people with infections up.

8 of 11 (355 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 27, 2013 6:54:21 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

Yeah I agree.

In my line of work I've dealt with some really good IT "professionals" and some that if they did to my system what they did to my customers computers I would have fired them and sued to time and suffering.  Just because you are in IT doesn't mean you always know best.  Our program is not hard to install but some of the installations I've seen it took more time fixing that it does to actually get up and running.

9 of 11 (349 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 28, 2013 3:02:42 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Thanks Guys. As soon as I get back in town, I'll try your suggestions. I appreciate the insight.

10 of 11 (326 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2013 6:45:20 AM
    (0)
    Community Manager

Let us know how it goes, and if you need help with anything else!

Thank you,

Dmtiriy

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

11 of 11 (303 Views)