Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 1, 2013
8:26:41 AM
View profile
We recently had U-Verse installed, but it's only a "g" network. Isn't "n" the new standard?

Also, the installer said he was "out of batteries" for the backup system, and would return with one the next day.

Two months and 20 phonecalls later, he still hasn't.

Also, the installer said he was "out of batteries" for the backup system, and would return with one the next day.

Two months and 20 phonecalls later, he still hasn't.

We recently had U-Verse installed, but it's only a "g" network. Isn't "n" the new standard?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2013 11:49:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The wireless Ethernet functionality built into the 2WIRE 3x0x gateways is 802.11g, not 802.11n.  If you require 802.11n, then you can purchase your own router or access point to provide this.

Someone from the AT&T support staff will have to answer your issue about the Battery for your Battery Backup Unit (or Battery Backup Unit for your RG, whichever is more accurate).

The wireless Ethernet functionality built into the 2WIRE 3x0x gateways is 802.11g, not 802.11n.  If you require 802.11n, then you can purchase your own router or access point to provide this.

Someone from the AT&T support staff will have to answer your issue about the Battery for your Battery Backup Unit (or Battery Backup Unit for your RG, whichever is more accurate).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: We recently had U-Verse installed, but it's only a "g" network. Isn't "n" the new standard?

2 of 6 (2,305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2013 12:04:55 PM
(0)
Community Support

ottodog, As jeffermc, unfortunately, our 2wires do not offer 802.11n. As always, you can disable the wireless on our router and attach a secondary router, which can manager the wireless traffic. Even though wireless n is the better technology, the standard is still g. A lot of computers still don't have network cards that handle wireless n technology. I know 4 of the 5 computers at my house connect via wireless g.

Regarding the battery backup, I apologize we still have not provided you with one. I would be more than happy to get that resolved for you. Because it is an account specific issue, we will be contacting you directly regarding this matter. Be on the lookout for a private message from us. You can see it by clicking your name at the top right, and then going to Inbox & Activity.

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

ottodog, As jeffermc, unfortunately, our 2wires do not offer 802.11n. As always, you can disable the wireless on our router and attach a secondary router, which can manager the wireless traffic. Even though wireless n is the better technology, the standard is still g. A lot of computers still don't have network cards that handle wireless n technology. I know 4 of the 5 computers at my house connect via wireless g.

Regarding the battery backup, I apologize we still have not provided you with one. I would be more than happy to get that resolved for you. Because it is an account specific issue, we will be contacting you directly regarding this matter. Be on the lookout for a private message from us. You can see it by clicking your name at the top right, and then going to Inbox & Activity.

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: We recently had U-Verse installed, but it's only a "g" network. Isn't "n" the new standard?

3 of 6 (2,305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2013 12:06:52 PM
(0)
Scholar

I concur with 'jeffermc'. I have Apple products on wireless which had issues with the 2WIRE, nothing major just a pain. So I bought an Apple Airport Extreme, plugged into the ethernet of the 2WIRE, and then shut down the 2WIRE wireless.

There are two ways to install a downstream router, bridge mode or second NAT (network address translation) mode. Bridge mode just extends the 2WIRE ethernet IP network. Second NAT mode allows me to have another IP network for wireless.

I chose second NAT mode. Now I have a small IP network on the 2WIRE, 1 DHCP for the AT&T DVR and 3 static (Blue Ray, router, and my next TV). My Airport router IP network is all DHCP. The 2WIRE and the Airport router each does their own NAT. Unfortunately neither router supports a downstream routing protocol so I had to tell the Airport router that the 2WIRE router was its DNS server.

It all works and I have my N wireless.

I concur with 'jeffermc'. I have Apple products on wireless which had issues with the 2WIRE, nothing major just a pain. So I bought an Apple Airport Extreme, plugged into the ethernet of the 2WIRE, and then shut down the 2WIRE wireless.

There are two ways to install a downstream router, bridge mode or second NAT (network address translation) mode. Bridge mode just extends the 2WIRE ethernet IP network. Second NAT mode allows me to have another IP network for wireless.

I chose second NAT mode. Now I have a small IP network on the 2WIRE, 1 DHCP for the AT&T DVR and 3 static (Blue Ray, router, and my next TV). My Airport router IP network is all DHCP. The 2WIRE and the Airport router each does their own NAT. Unfortunately neither router supports a downstream routing protocol so I had to tell the Airport router that the 2WIRE router was its DNS server.

It all works and I have my N wireless.

4 of 6 (2,305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2013 3:12:32 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi ottodog, I am hoping everything worked out fine this morning, and they provided you a battery finally. Our apologies once again. Let us know if everything worked out.

Hi ottodog, I am hoping everything worked out fine this morning, and they provided you a battery finally. Our apologies once again. Let us know if everything worked out.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 6 (2,305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2014 6:16:11 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by GPWoodGuy on Apr 15, 2014 at 6:36:26 AM

DavidCS - I've been following this thread and need to ask / verify the following:  While testing my available wireless signals using "inSSIDer", I have found a 2WIRE unit, labelled "2WIRE072a" somewhere around me that is transmitting on the 'n' band.  See the attached screen grab.  My unit is the 2WIRE402 with the standard 'g' band.  I guess my question is, how is this possible?  It is definitely on the 'n' band as I configured my wireless adapter to connect on the 'n' band only and it locked on to this signal looking for a password.  Any help would be appreciated as I would like to circumvent the 54mbps cap on my unit.  Thanks.

Added note:  Is it possible that there is a bridge or AP that is using the "2wire"  SSID?

DavidCS - I've been following this thread and need to ask / verify the following:  While testing my available wireless signals using "inSSIDer", I have found a 2WIRE unit, labelled "2WIRE072a" somewhere around me that is transmitting on the 'n' band.  See the attached screen grab.  My unit is the 2WIRE402 with the standard 'g' band.  I guess my question is, how is this possible?  It is definitely on the 'n' band as I configured my wireless adapter to connect on the 'n' band only and it locked on to this signal looking for a password.  Any help would be appreciated as I would like to circumvent the 54mbps cap on my unit.  Thanks.

Added note:  Is it possible that there is a bridge or AP that is using the "2wire"  SSID?

Re: We recently had U-Verse installed, but it's only a "g" network. Isn't "n" t

[ Edited ]
6 of 6 (928 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments