Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 10, 2013
11:30:42 AM
View profile
We have had U-verse wireless internet about a week. Was told the speed would be twice as fast as old modem. I haven't seen it yet. It takes way too long to load certain pages and definitely too much time to load pictures. How can this be rectified?

We have had U-verse wireless internet about a week. Was told the speed would be twice as fast as old modem. I haven't seen it yet. It takes way too long to load certain pages and definitely too much time to load pictures. How can this be rectified? Why is this happening?

We have had U-verse wireless internet about a week. Was told the speed would be twice as fast as old modem. I haven't seen it yet. It takes way too long to load certain pages and definitely too much time to load pictures. How can this be rectified? Why is this happening?

We have had U-verse wireless internet about a week. Was told the speed would be twice as fast as old modem. I haven't seen it yet. It takes way too long to load certain pages and definitely too much time to load pictures. How can this be rectified?

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 12:45:44 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi sphyggy,

We apologize about the inconveniences you are having with your speeds, but we would be glad to help.

Are you able to connect a computer directly to your U-verse modem with an Ethernet cable to see if there is a difference in speeds?

Also, if you could go go http://speedtest.net and run a speedtest to see what speeds you are getting (preferably with a hardwired connection).

If your connection is better hardwired over wireless, you may be able to easily fix it by changing your wireless channel as shown in this article:

Changing Wireless Channel

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hi sphyggy,

We apologize about the inconveniences you are having with your speeds, but we would be glad to help.

Are you able to connect a computer directly to your U-verse modem with an Ethernet cable to see if there is a difference in speeds?

Also, if you could go go http://speedtest.net and run a speedtest to see what speeds you are getting (preferably with a hardwired connection).

If your connection is better hardwired over wireless, you may be able to easily fix it by changing your wireless channel as shown in this article:

Changing Wireless Channel

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: We have had U-verse wireless internet about a week. Was told the speed would be twice as fast as old modem. I haven't seen it yet. It takes way too long to load certain pages and definitely too much time to load pictures. How can this be rectified?

2 of 12 (259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 12:52:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hi David

I'll have to have my husband help with that when he get home. But in the meantime, what is the point of having wireless if it doesn't work like it's supposed to? Also, the wireless router is about 3 feet from my computer,

so I just don't understand why this should be an issue. We did get wireless for a reason. It also is very slow in loading on the TV, which is inches from the router.

sphyggy

Hi David

I'll have to have my husband help with that when he get home. But in the meantime, what is the point of having wireless if it doesn't work like it's supposed to? Also, the wireless router is about 3 feet from my computer,

so I just don't understand why this should be an issue. We did get wireless for a reason. It also is very slow in loading on the TV, which is inches from the router.

sphyggy

Re: We have had U-verse wireless internet about a week. Was told the speed would be twice as fast as old modem. I haven't seen it yet. It takes way too long to load certain pages and definitely too much time to load pictures. How can this be rectified?

3 of 12 (264 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 12:56:57 PM
(0)
Community Support

With wireless, there are so many different x-factors that come in to play. But if the speeds test slow wireless, but are great hardwired, at least we know there is some sort of wireless issue. The way I think of wireless is like a road. There are multiple different wireless frequencies, but if you are on the same frequency as a lot of other wireless devices, then you will notice it be considerably slower, just like if you are in a lane of traffic with a lot of cars. By just changing the wireless channel, or changing lanes to a less congested one, you will notice a huge difference.

With wireless, there are so many different x-factors that come in to play. But if the speeds test slow wireless, but are great hardwired, at least we know there is some sort of wireless issue. The way I think of wireless is like a road. There are multiple different wireless frequencies, but if you are on the same frequency as a lot of other wireless devices, then you will notice it be considerably slower, just like if you are in a lane of traffic with a lot of cars. By just changing the wireless channel, or changing lanes to a less congested one, you will notice a huge difference.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 12 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 1:11:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Just to expand on what David is saying, you can download a free program called inSSIDer which will show you the wireless networks in your immediate area and you can pick the least congested,  The tool is here: inSSIDer for Home – Discover The Wi-Fi Around You | MetaGeek

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Just to expand on what David is saying, you can download a free program called inSSIDer which will show you the wireless networks in your immediate area and you can pick the least congested,  The tool is here: inSSIDer for Home – Discover The Wi-Fi Around You | MetaGeek

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 12 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 1:12:00 PM
(0)
Tutor

OK, so I guess you just want me to try the couple of things you mentioned at this time? And contact you if they don't' work. Again, if the solution is to plug my computer into the

"wireless" router, this will not make for happy customers. Just sayin'

OK, so I guess you just want me to try the couple of things you mentioned at this time? And contact you if they don't' work. Again, if the solution is to plug my computer into the

"wireless" router, this will not make for happy customers. Just sayin'

6 of 12 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 1:13:42 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you Beebeesa.

Thank you Beebeesa.

7 of 12 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 1:42:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yes... as a diagnostic tool it is good to see if the problem goes away when you go wired.  If it doesn't, then we need to look on the other side of the Residential Gateway (the phone lines, etc.) instead of inside your home (the wireless connection).

Yes... as a diagnostic tool it is good to see if the problem goes away when you go wired.  If it doesn't, then we need to look on the other side of the Residential Gateway (the phone lines, etc.) instead of inside your home (the wireless connection).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 12 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 12:00:44 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi sphyggy,

Just wanted to check on you and see if the information that we provided help out?

Hi sphyggy,

Just wanted to check on you and see if the information that we provided help out?

9 of 12 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 3:50:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hi David:

Thanks for checking back in. It hasn't helped much but I may also be doing something wrong. Not too tech savvy. I have an AT&T tech

person arriving any minute to help.

Have a nice weekend.

Sphyggy

Hi David:

Thanks for checking back in. It hasn't helped much but I may also be doing something wrong. Not too tech savvy. I have an AT&T tech

person arriving any minute to help.

Have a nice weekend.

Sphyggy

10 of 12 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 4:04:04 PM
(0)
Community Support

Let us know how it goes, and if you continue to have problems, we will be sure to escalate it further.

Let us know how it goes, and if you continue to have problems, we will be sure to escalate it further.

11 of 12 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 5:01:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you! He was just here. Of course it was working just fine!! Aways happens. : )

Apparently I actually got the channel changed to a less congested one.

Thanks again.

Thank you! He was just here. Of course it was working just fine!! Aways happens. : )

Apparently I actually got the channel changed to a less congested one.

Thanks again.

12 of 12 (264 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments