Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 28, 2011
6:21:37 AM
View profile
Way to make favorites default guide option?

We just switched over to Uverse from AT&T DirectTV service. On the old DirectTV STB, we could set our guide so that it automaticaly opened to our favorites. In essence, we never saw the rest of the guide unless we wen tot he menu and selected "all channels"

I have set up our favorites under Uverse, but I can't figure out how to set it up so that the favorities come up when I press guide...right now I either have to press menu, and make my way through the menu to favorites, or select guide, then press enter to bring up the right hand menu, then select favorites. The whole point of having the favorities is convenience, and it's decidedly inconvenient to have to scroll through menus to get to them.

The only thing I could come up with was hiding channels on the main guide, so that only a de facto favorites section comes up. This seems an odd way to achieve the same thing, and kind of negates the point of having favorites at all...

IS there a better way to accomplish this? Also, for the single channel at a time guide you can access at the bottom of the screen by pressing the up or down arrow, does this sync up with the actual guide? If guide channels are hidden will they still show up on this miniguide?

We just switched over to Uverse from AT&T DirectTV service. On the old DirectTV STB, we could set our guide so that it automaticaly opened to our favorites. In essence, we never saw the rest of the guide unless we wen tot he menu and selected "all channels"

I have set up our favorites under Uverse, but I can't figure out how to set it up so that the favorities come up when I press guide...right now I either have to press menu, and make my way through the menu to favorites, or select guide, then press enter to bring up the right hand menu, then select favorites. The whole point of having the favorities is convenience, and it's decidedly inconvenient to have to scroll through menus to get to them.

The only thing I could come up with was hiding channels on the main guide, so that only a de facto favorites section comes up. This seems an odd way to achieve the same thing, and kind of negates the point of having favorites at all...

IS there a better way to accomplish this? Also, for the single channel at a time guide you can access at the bottom of the screen by pressing the up or down arrow, does this sync up with the actual guide? If guide channels are hidden will they still show up on this miniguide?

Way to make favorites default guide option?

7 replies
(3) Me too
(3) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 6:29:45 AM
(0)
Mentor

not that i've found.  it will be the first of 10,000 directv features you will miss.  the dvr functions are years behind and  - well you'll learn.

was a directv customer for 11 years.

not that i've found.  it will be the first of 10,000 directv features you will miss.  the dvr functions are years behind and  - well you'll learn.

was a directv customer for 11 years.

Re: Way to make favorites default guide option?

2 of 8 (5,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 6:37:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

Really? What else is there to miss?  (We didn't have DVR with DirectTV, just never had a need for it...we don't watch a lot of TV)

So far we've been pretty happy with our Uverse service, it's just been a couple minor issues to deal with, like loss of bandwidth when wirelessly connected to the router, this favorites issue, etc. That being said, it would be interesting to know what landmines await..Smiley Happy

And AT&T, if you're listening, I'd really really like to be able to have a one touch favorites guide. You know, next time you update the sfotware. Just sayin'Smiley Happy

Really? What else is there to miss?  (We didn't have DVR with DirectTV, just never had a need for it...we don't watch a lot of TV)

So far we've been pretty happy with our Uverse service, it's just been a couple minor issues to deal with, like loss of bandwidth when wirelessly connected to the router, this favorites issue, etc. That being said, it would be interesting to know what landmines await..Smiley Happy

And AT&T, if you're listening, I'd really really like to be able to have a one touch favorites guide. You know, next time you update the sfotware. Just sayin'Smiley Happy

3 of 8 (5,491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 7:10:34 AM
(0)
Mentor

If you hit the Enter button on the lower right of the remote while watching TV, it will bring up the side menu without going to Guide first. There's still the extra step of clicking "Favorites", but at least it will get you to the Favorites listing without going to the full Guide first.

If you hit the Enter button on the lower right of the remote while watching TV, it will bring up the side menu without going to Guide first. There's still the extra step of clicking "Favorites", but at least it will get you to the Favorites listing without going to the full Guide first.

4 of 8 (5,477 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 11:48:57 AM
(0)
Scholar

jbower47 wrote:

Well, if you've never worked with an accurate guide, it's hard to explain what you are missing. Aside from the guide issues, there are quite a few usability problems with the U-verse. You can get used to workarounds but if you've used a more efficient UI, you miss it.

jbower47 wrote:

Well, if you've never worked with an accurate guide, it's hard to explain what you are missing. Aside from the guide issues, there are quite a few usability problems with the U-verse. You can get used to workarounds but if you've used a more efficient UI, you miss it.

5 of 8 (5,444 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2013 10:17:55 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by delraykevin on Jul 18, 2013 at 10:19:01 PM

I'm sorry to say that the option accessible by pressing the "Enter" button and scrolling down to "Favorites" is no more. The "Favorites" option referred to was apparently removed removed by a software update about a week ago. It took hours with the chat support folks before someone finally fessed up to that, but it looks like it's gone.

I'm sorry to say that the option accessible by pressing the "Enter" button and scrolling down to "Favorites" is no more. The "Favorites" option referred to was apparently removed removed by a software update about a week ago. It took hours with the chat support folks before someone finally fessed up to that, but it looks like it's gone.

[ Edited ]
6 of 8 (3,701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 3:50:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
delraykevin - Hopefully, the favorites option is broken, but not gone forever.

You are aware that it is still under MENU button with four clicks instead of three?? Of course, you have to retrain your fingers.

It is unclear how the changes to the ENTER button are intended to work. Moving favorites to the top of the list is a step in right direction. And, so is adding the ability to have multiple favorites. But, the sum of the two is a positive only if it predesignates the GUIDE button to produce a particular favorites guide on one click.

Hopefully, again, it will be straightened out before the fingers form another pattern. OOPs, too late for that. It should have been caught in testing or usability steps before being deployed.
delraykevin - Hopefully, the favorites option is broken, but not gone forever.

You are aware that it is still under MENU button with four clicks instead of three?? Of course, you have to retrain your fingers.

It is unclear how the changes to the ENTER button are intended to work. Moving favorites to the top of the list is a step in right direction. And, so is adding the ability to have multiple favorites. But, the sum of the two is a positive only if it predesignates the GUIDE button to produce a particular favorites guide on one click.

Hopefully, again, it will be straightened out before the fingers form another pattern. OOPs, too late for that. It should have been caught in testing or usability steps before being deployed.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 8 (3,689 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 6:03:17 AM
(0)

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

8 of 8 (3,656 Views)