Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 11, 2014
10:21:01 PM
View profile
Want fastpath instead of interleaved, adsl2+
Edited by heyimmvp on Apr 11, 2014 at 10:23:06 PM

I upgraded  from adsl2 to U-verse adsl2+ a few months ago, however the data path is currently interleaved, which causes an increase of around 20-30ms for most of my online games, which is unacceptable.  It is to my understanding that a tech support should be able to switch my data path over to fastpath.  I have a Nvg510 modem.  Has anyone else had luck with this?

I am currently awaiting help from the DSLreports site, but I'll have to wait until Monday for one of the technicians to reply.

I upgraded  from adsl2 to U-verse adsl2+ a few months ago, however the data path is currently interleaved, which causes an increase of around 20-30ms for most of my online games, which is unacceptable.  It is to my understanding that a tech support should be able to switch my data path over to fastpath.  I have a Nvg510 modem.  Has anyone else had luck with this?

I am currently awaiting help from the DSLreports site, but I'll have to wait until Monday for one of the technicians to reply.

Want fastpath instead of interleaved, adsl2+

[ Edited ]
6 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2014 6:33:04 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by heyimmvp on Apr 12, 2014 at 6:35:54 AM

I recently upgraded from att adsl2 to uverse adsl2+, however my datapath is set at interleaved and I want it changed to fastpath, as the increased latency is unacceptable.  And I am well aware that it can be changed as I am on adsl2+ and not vdsl.  My modem is the NVG510.  Can a  technician switch my datapath please?  Over at DSLreports, mostly everyone with an adsl2+ connection who have requested a change from interleave to fastpath have been successful, but seemed to take dozens of technicians before they got one who knew what they were doing.  

I recently upgraded from att adsl2 to uverse adsl2+, however my datapath is set at interleaved and I want it changed to fastpath, as the increased latency is unacceptable.  And I am well aware that it can be changed as I am on adsl2+ and not vdsl.  My modem is the NVG510.  Can a  technician switch my datapath please?  Over at DSLreports, mostly everyone with an adsl2+ connection who have requested a change from interleave to fastpath have been successful, but seemed to take dozens of technicians before they got one who knew what they were doing.  

adsl2+ want to change to fastpath

[ Edited ]
2 of 7 (1,091 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2014 6:53:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I am unaware of any U-verse ADSL2+ customer who has been changed to fastpath.

I am unaware of any U-verse ADSL2+ customer who has been changed to fastpath.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: adsl2+ want to change to fastpath

3 of 7 (1,081 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2014 7:04:20 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by heyimmvp on Apr 12, 2014 at 7:15:41 AM

That is quite surprising as many, at least over at DSLreports have requested it, although they are probably just a few dozen out of all the U-verse users. In any case I am hoping to get mine changed.  I am awaiting help for an att tech this Monday who has helped others get their data path changed.  I know it's impossible to change it if I have VDSL, but other adsl2+ users have been able to make the change.

Also, not sure if I should ask this here or in another forum section, but in the event that it can't be changed, would it be possible for me to revert back to my ADSL2 connection that I had previously 3 months ago?

Edit: Also I didn't even notice I made a double post about my issues, I thought the first didn't go through, sorry about that.

That is quite surprising as many, at least over at DSLreports have requested it, although they are probably just a few dozen out of all the U-verse users. In any case I am hoping to get mine changed.  I am awaiting help for an att tech this Monday who has helped others get their data path changed.  I know it's impossible to change it if I have VDSL, but other adsl2+ users have been able to make the change.

Also, not sure if I should ask this here or in another forum section, but in the event that it can't be changed, would it be possible for me to revert back to my ADSL2 connection that I had previously 3 months ago?

Edit: Also I didn't even notice I made a double post about my issues, I thought the first didn't go through, sorry about that.

[ Edited ]
4 of 7 (1,074 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2014 7:24:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Unfortunately, DSL to U-verse is a one-way transition; AT&T is trying to do away with traditional DSL and move to the ADSL2+/VDSL and doesn't let anyone move back.

The interleaved does give you increased reliability which can give you fewer retransmits and actually improve effective latency in some (but not all) situations.  But for that to apply would require poor line quality where you're seeing a lot of FEC.

Unfortunately, DSL to U-verse is a one-way transition; AT&T is trying to do away with traditional DSL and move to the ADSL2+/VDSL and doesn't let anyone move back.

The interleaved does give you increased reliability which can give you fewer retransmits and actually improve effective latency in some (but not all) situations.  But for that to apply would require poor line quality where you're seeing a lot of FEC.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 7 (1,058 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2014 7:52:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

As far as I know, ADSL2+ users can request fastpath if they go to the right people. VDSL2 is forced to interleave however.

You just need to talk to the right person.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.

As far as I know, ADSL2+ users can request fastpath if they go to the right people. VDSL2 is forced to interleave however.

You just need to talk to the right person.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.

6 of 7 (1,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2015 9:49:36 AM
(0)

You are very correct. It depends on the technician's ability to use the system. The line has to be completely free of any faults or else the errors don't get corrected as it would with the interleaved signal. If I complete a repair and I know that the line is completely fault free, I change it for the customer all the time. It's a big difference in latency. Just remember though, that this is only an available option with IPDSL and not FTTX Uverse. I'm slowly trying to educate my fellow peers about it because some have no idea what I'm even talking about.

You are very correct. It depends on the technician's ability to use the system. The line has to be completely free of any faults or else the errors don't get corrected as it would with the interleaved signal. If I complete a repair and I know that the line is completely fault free, I change it for the customer all the time. It's a big difference in latency. Just remember though, that this is only an available option with IPDSL and not FTTX Uverse. I'm slowly trying to educate my fellow peers about it because some have no idea what I'm even talking about.

7 of 7 (392 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments