Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 27, 2014
6:12:20 PM
View profile
WIFI only found on one pc? Iphone, Ipad and Other laptops dont see it.

Last week Uverse internet was installed in my apartment.

Everything was working perfect and could not be happier!

Then two days ago I came home and to my surprise my laptop was not connected to my network.

I was like ooohh whattt! so I then try to connect to it and it just kept saying cant connect or it would connect

and disconnect. Then I realized it is like this in my ipad it says cannot connect to network or my iphone but my iphone works for a good while then disconnects.

When the network does show up its at full bars but cannot connect to it. I even move my laptop right next to the router and still is unable to connect. However, the desktop thats right next to the router works flawlessly.

I have two ps3's that also work without a hassle and they are plenty far from my router. I cannot figure out what the issue is.

I tried a factory reset on the router but that didnt do much. I also tried manually putting the entwork on my pc and still nothing. I had to leave my house but what I saw on my desktop was that the router password is inputted as tkip and when i look at the laptops it thinks it is AES. Now i changed it to tkip on the laptop but had to leave to school. Why do you guys think this happen out of no where? I mean it was working perfect for a couple of days then randomly stopped on the ipad and two laptops and sometime on my iphone.

Last week Uverse internet was installed in my apartment.

Everything was working perfect and could not be happier!

Then two days ago I came home and to my surprise my laptop was not connected to my network.

I was like ooohh whattt! so I then try to connect to it and it just kept saying cant connect or it would connect

and disconnect. Then I realized it is like this in my ipad it says cannot connect to network or my iphone but my iphone works for a good while then disconnects.

When the network does show up its at full bars but cannot connect to it. I even move my laptop right next to the router and still is unable to connect. However, the desktop thats right next to the router works flawlessly.

I have two ps3's that also work without a hassle and they are plenty far from my router. I cannot figure out what the issue is.

I tried a factory reset on the router but that didnt do much. I also tried manually putting the entwork on my pc and still nothing. I had to leave my house but what I saw on my desktop was that the router password is inputted as tkip and when i look at the laptops it thinks it is AES. Now i changed it to tkip on the laptop but had to leave to school. Why do you guys think this happen out of no where? I mean it was working perfect for a couple of days then randomly stopped on the ipad and two laptops and sometime on my iphone.

WIFI only found on one pc? Iphone, Ipad and Other laptops dont see it.

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 8:57:14 PM
(0)
Mentor

On  the  U-verse  modem  has  a  sticker..It  is  yellow  color . 

It  say   SSID  :  ATT  ### 

then  wireless  network  key :  #### 

The  stickr  is  on  the  side  of  the  modem..

On  the  U-verse  modem  has  a  sticker..It  is  yellow  color . 

It  say   SSID  :  ATT  ### 

then  wireless  network  key :  #### 

The  stickr  is  on  the  side  of  the  modem..

Re: WIFI only found on one pc? Iphone, Ipad and Other laptops dont see it.

2 of 20 (447 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 9:32:52 PM
(0)
Tutor
Ok I know that. The ssid shows up on networks and keeps trying to connect and just keeps saying identifying and never connect and every now and then it connects I use the web for a bit then disconnects. Sometime the ssid doesn't even show up. Now remember that it was working perfectly fine for 5 days. It's not hair one computer that does this it's two of then and one is right next to the router and it still doesn't always show up in the networks found. The iPad just keeps saying cannot connect. However the ps3 connects and another PC connects without a problem and don't disconnect. I even tried putting the ssid myself and the code and still keeps trying to connect and disconnect.
Ok I know that. The ssid shows up on networks and keeps trying to connect and just keeps saying identifying and never connect and every now and then it connects I use the web for a bit then disconnects. Sometime the ssid doesn't even show up. Now remember that it was working perfectly fine for 5 days. It's not hair one computer that does this it's two of then and one is right next to the router and it still doesn't always show up in the networks found. The iPad just keeps saying cannot connect. However the ps3 connects and another PC connects without a problem and don't disconnect. I even tried putting the ssid myself and the code and still keeps trying to connect and disconnect.

3 of 20 (437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 7:50:16 AM
(0)
Tutor

So it seems that although i have perfect signal and the computer and laptop are in line of seight of the router it apperently is too far for it to work which is only about 20 feet from the router. Why is this? and its with the ipad. laptop and iphone but when im like 5 feet from it it works perfectly fine

So it seems that although i have perfect signal and the computer and laptop are in line of seight of the router it apperently is too far for it to work which is only about 20 feet from the router. Why is this? and its with the ipad. laptop and iphone but when im like 5 feet from it it works perfectly fine

4 of 20 (412 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 8:04:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
mo5751 - Since you are in an apartment situation, a neighbor could be killing your signal. Do you see any other networks.

Try different channels. If I remember, 1, 6, 11 are recommended.

Do you have any wireless phones or other devices that could be interfering? Maybe a neighbor does.
mo5751 - Since you are in an apartment situation, a neighbor could be killing your signal. Do you see any other networks.

Try different channels. If I remember, 1, 6, 11 are recommended.

Do you have any wireless phones or other devices that could be interfering? Maybe a neighbor does.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 20 (410 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 8:56:36 AM
(0)
Tutor
I see a ton of networks and they all are AT&T aswell I guess I'll try switching the channel but it's already on 11 so when I get home I'll try something else.
I see a ton of networks and they all are AT&T aswell I guess I'll try switching the channel but it's already on 11 so when I get home I'll try something else.

6 of 20 (402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 9:27:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
mo5751 - If it is so congested you may have to go with your own router on N or AC band.
mo5751 - If it is so congested you may have to go with your own router on N or AC band.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 20 (398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 10:40:36 AM
(0)
Tutor
I tried choosing it on N and at first it seemed like everything was good then after a while it gave me problems.
I tried choosing it on N and at first it seemed like everything was good then after a while it gave me problems.

8 of 20 (386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 10:45:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
mo5751 - I was thinking there would be hardly any N in your building & you would not have an N router. Are you saying you do have an RG that supports N?? What is model number of RG??
mo5751 - I was thinking there would be hardly any N in your building & you would not have an N router. Are you saying you do have an RG that supports N?? What is model number of RG??

9 of 20 (384 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 12:43:42 PM
(0)
Tutor
Maybe I'm not talking about the same thing. I'll let you know what I have once I get home. It's a black one that has a little wifi looking button on the bottom.
Maybe I'm not talking about the same thing. I'll let you know what I have once I get home. It's a black one that has a little wifi looking button on the bottom.

10 of 20 (376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 12:54:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
mo5751 - It is the IEEE 802.11 standard for wi-fi. att had only b/g til recently, some N was introduced. For your case, the idea of getting N is to get away from the horde of b/g. You would need N support at bot ends - each computer and the router. Here is the explanation of the various standards - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11
mo5751 - It is the IEEE 802.11 standard for wi-fi. att had only b/g til recently, some N was introduced. For your case, the idea of getting N is to get away from the horde of b/g. You would need N support at bot ends - each computer and the router. Here is the explanation of the various standards - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

11 of 20 (375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 12:55:51 PM
(0)
Tutor
The router at the bottoms reads 5031NV
The router at the bottoms reads 5031NV

12 of 20 (374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 1:03:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Feb 28, 2014 at 1:31:31 PM

That does say it is 802.11 N - To eliminate "cold spots"
http://www.pace.com/Documents/Products/Am/RG/5031nv.pdf

If you have an att N router, maybe others in the apartment do too & you will have lost the chance for moving to uniqueness by applying N.

That does say it is 802.11 N - To eliminate "cold spots"
http://www.pace.com/Documents/Products/Am/RG/5031nv.pdf

If you have an att N router, maybe others in the apartment do too & you will have lost the chance for moving to uniqueness by applying N.

[ Edited ]
13 of 20 (370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 2:41:58 PM
(0)
Tutor
so what's my options? And why did it work for like 5 days no issue and and in the morning them I come home and it's out? What could have caused this?
so what's my options? And why did it work for like 5 days no issue and and in the morning them I come home and it's out? What could have caused this?

14 of 20 (342 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 3:53:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
mo5751 - I do not know what is causing your problem. If I were a tech on-site with instruments, I may still be mystified. Wireless is like that - it works or it doesn't. Just trying to suggest possibilities.

Was the 5031NV installed as a matter of course, initially, or was it tried as a solution to your problem?

If you have a lot of contention for the air waves, you can always connect wired.

If you want to escape the herd you can get an AC router.

If you feel your RG just does not work right, request a new one.
mo5751 - I do not know what is causing your problem. If I were a tech on-site with instruments, I may still be mystified. Wireless is like that - it works or it doesn't. Just trying to suggest possibilities.

Was the 5031NV installed as a matter of course, initially, or was it tried as a solution to your problem?

If you have a lot of contention for the air waves, you can always connect wired.

If you want to escape the herd you can get an AC router.

If you feel your RG just does not work right, request a new one.

15 of 20 (330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 4:42:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

Ok so for the first five days the service worked i would get the 18 mbps that I should and even more over wifi. After I saw issues now the wifi barely gets 2 mbps even right next to it. When i connect ethernet cord i get 21 mbps. Could this be a router problem?

Ok so for the first five days the service worked i would get the 18 mbps that I should and even more over wifi. After I saw issues now the wifi barely gets 2 mbps even right next to it. When i connect ethernet cord i get 21 mbps. Could this be a router problem?

16 of 20 (319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 4:59:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

I called support and they are sending a technician out tomorrow, I will reply to what the results are after he comes. Thanks for the support

I called support and they are sending a technician out tomorrow, I will reply to what the results are after he comes. Thanks for the support

17 of 20 (315 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 5:11:42 PM
(0)
Guru

I agree with @aviewer, if there is enough wireless interference it could be problematic. Here's something to try.

If you're using Windows

I recommend using Network Shell to see if there are any uncongested channels. 

1. Press the Windows Key + R.
  2. Type "CMD" and press enter.
  3. Type "netsh"
  4. Type "wlan"
  5. Type "show all"
  6. Look for the last category (Show Network Mode=BSSID)

It will display available SSIDs, Wireless technology being used (wireless b/g/n), the channel in use, as well as some other relevant information. 

The channels that occur most frequently are the most used channels. Unfortunately for true, no-overlap channels, you're limited to three; 1, 6, and 11. (Although some claim poor performance on channels 1 and 11, thus the most frequent use of channel 6.)* You'll then want to "forget" the networks on your devices and reconnect.

* For available networks, for example, in my area there are 12 SSIDs, all are on Wireless G  except for 5.  One is Wireless B, four are Wireless N. (Ironically in my area all networks except for two are on Channel 1 and 11, except for one that's on channel 7.) I am the only multi-AP set-up so I have two BSSIDs, my RG is on channel 6 and my AP is on channel 3. This will appear like this on netsh.

SSID 1 : ATT[SSID]
    Network type            : Infrastructure
    Authentication          : WPA2-Personal
    Encryption              : CCMP
    BSSID 1                 : [Removed] <- My RG's MAC Address
         Signal             : 95%
         Radio type         : 802.11n
         Channel            : 6
         Basic rates (Mbps) : [Not Relevant]
         Other rates (Mbps) : [Not Relevant]
    BSSID 2                 : [Removed] <- My AP's MAC Address
         Signal             : 65%
         Channel            : 3

Wireless routers on the same channel with strong signals may pose a bigger threat in terms of interference. 

I agree with @aviewer, if there is enough wireless interference it could be problematic. Here's something to try.

If you're using Windows

I recommend using Network Shell to see if there are any uncongested channels. 

1. Press the Windows Key + R.
  2. Type "CMD" and press enter.
  3. Type "netsh"
  4. Type "wlan"
  5. Type "show all"
  6. Look for the last category (Show Network Mode=BSSID)

It will display available SSIDs, Wireless technology being used (wireless b/g/n), the channel in use, as well as some other relevant information. 

The channels that occur most frequently are the most used channels. Unfortunately for true, no-overlap channels, you're limited to three; 1, 6, and 11. (Although some claim poor performance on channels 1 and 11, thus the most frequent use of channel 6.)* You'll then want to "forget" the networks on your devices and reconnect.

* For available networks, for example, in my area there are 12 SSIDs, all are on Wireless G  except for 5.  One is Wireless B, four are Wireless N. (Ironically in my area all networks except for two are on Channel 1 and 11, except for one that's on channel 7.) I am the only multi-AP set-up so I have two BSSIDs, my RG is on channel 6 and my AP is on channel 3. This will appear like this on netsh.

SSID 1 : ATT[SSID]
    Network type            : Infrastructure
    Authentication          : WPA2-Personal
    Encryption              : CCMP
    BSSID 1                 : [Removed] <- My RG's MAC Address
         Signal             : 95%
         Channel            : 6
    BSSID 2                 : [Removed] <- My AP's MAC Address
         Signal             : 65%
         Channel            : 3

Wireless routers on the same channel with strong signals may pose a bigger threat in terms of interference. 

18 of 20 (314 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2014 7:59:33 AM
(0)
Employee
The 5031 is a b/g/n 2.4 ghz wireless....meaning same frequencies as everybody else.
Too many think N is 5ghz, but that is only if have a dual band (2.4/5) router which the 5031 is not.
Not an issue connected harxwired,if signal strength is good (bars) then not an RG issue thus wireless interference issue.
Some products (apple) seem to prefer central or upper channels while performing poorly on lower.

Solutions in crowded environment, stay hardwired, or invest in dual band router placed behind 5031 in DMZ, IP pass through mode. Disable 5031 wireless use dual band if devices are N compatible or need to also invest in N adapters.
The 5031 is a b/g/n 2.4 ghz wireless....meaning same frequencies as everybody else.
Too many think N is 5ghz, but that is only if have a dual band (2.4/5) router which the 5031 is not.
Not an issue connected harxwired,if signal strength is good (bars) then not an RG issue thus wireless interference issue.
Some products (apple) seem to prefer central or upper channels while performing poorly on lower.

Solutions in crowded environment, stay hardwired, or invest in dual band router placed behind 5031 in DMZ, IP pass through mode. Disable 5031 wireless use dual band if devices are N compatible or need to also invest in N adapters.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

19 of 20 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2014 6:07:31 PM
(0)
Mentor

My suggestion would be to go into your RGs control panel via 192.168.1.254

Get the Device Access Code/System Password from the side of the RG, it is NOT the same as the wireless network key. Then goto your wireless network configuration page. Find the wireless channel and make sure it's NOT on AUTO.  If it is, lock it into a channel besides 1, 6, or 11. I usually use 9. I'd be willing to bet money it will at least make it better. It won't always fix it, but that auto channel feature is garbage and they should remove it from the gateways.

My suggestion would be to go into your RGs control panel via 192.168.1.254

Get the Device Access Code/System Password from the side of the RG, it is NOT the same as the wireless network key. Then goto your wireless network configuration page. Find the wireless channel and make sure it's NOT on AUTO.  If it is, lock it into a channel besides 1, 6, or 11. I usually use 9. I'd be willing to bet money it will at least make it better. It won't always fix it, but that auto channel feature is garbage and they should remove it from the gateways.

20 of 20 (219 Views)