Helpful Links

WHY IS PALLADIA A PREMIUM CHANNEL ? - comcast has it included in tv package no extra charge !

Contributor

WHY IS PALLADIA A PREMIUM CHANNEL ? - comcast has it included in tv package no extra charge !

Why is the channel Palladia 1505 a premium channel ? When I had Comcast TV service this channel was not extra and it came with the regular package and I think it should be free with the 450 or 350 tv packages for the cost we are paying monthly this channel should be included for it is a music channel. 

Message 1 of 10
Scholar

Re: WHY IS PALLADIA A PREMIUM CHANNEL ? - comcast has it included in tv package no extra charge !

Well Uverse is not Comcast and I am glad. Comcast is terrible.

Message 2 of 10
Highlighted
Expert

Re: WHY IS PALLADIA A PREMIUM CHANNEL ? - comcast has it included in tv package no extra charge !

sugardog wrote:

Why is the channel Palladia 1505 a premium channel ? When I had Comcast TV service this channel was not extra and it came with the regular package and I think it should be free with the 450 or 350 tv packages for the cost we are paying monthly this channel should be included for it is a music channel. 

As stated before.  This is U-verse not Comcast.  No two TV providers are the same.

Message 3 of 10

It could be worse.  At Time Warner, it costs extra to receive C-SPAN 2 and C-SPAN 3, both in standard def.

Message 4 of 10
ACE - Master

CostaMesaCAGuy wrote:

It could be worse.  At Time Warner, it costs extra to receive C-SPAN 2 and C-SPAN 3, both in standard def.

Who would PAY for C-SPAN????  Smiley Frustrated

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 10
Scholar

It's free on Time Warner as well, when I switched about 3 years ago that was the one thing I noticed. Doesn't really bother me, as I didn't watch it much. HD was also free on Time Warner, no $10 fee, but Time Warner really sucks in regards to equipment, and channel selection. There's always a trade off.

If anything, the extra charge keeps your regular bill down a little, as carriage fees would likely jack it up. 

Message 6 of 10
Scholar

Viacom obviously didn't have a problem with its placement in the last go-round in contract negotiations.

If you've been around within the past year, AMC moved from the 790-Movie section up to the "Basic Cable" 100s channels.  IIRC, when that move happened, AMC Networks/Cablevision opened up HD feeds of its other channels (WeTV, IFC, Sundance Channel) to AT&T.  One of the other members can supply the info of when the last AMC Networks contract was being hashed out, but I'm sure that niggly little detail of AMC's channel location came up, and the give-and-take between AT&T and them probably bartered-in that the other missing HD feeds from their company become available for moving AMC up into that coveted spot in the 100s.

Palladia with Comcast was always dependent on you having HD service -- therefore, you were paying around $7.00 extra a month (in most markets).  That fee was in existence ever since around 2005 (before Palladia's carriage with Comcast), back when ESPN, TNT, inHD, inHD2 and the 5 broadcast networks were the only channels (outside only the *main* channels of HBO, MAX, Showtime and Starz).  Palladia wasn't added until around 2007, and even then there were only about 8 "cable" channels (including them) available in HD.

The real reason it *appears* "free" or "included" is because of being lost the proliferation of other HD channels.  Consider, also, that although you may pay extra with AT&T for Palladia, Comcast and other cable customers have been paying extra as well -- although they may not really see it.  Take a look at the price history from the past 2-3 years, specifically yearly price hikes.

Viacom/MTV Networks are suffering in the ratings, and have been for a good three years -- yet are trying to raise prices AGAIN with providers.  For what -- movies and endless reruns shuffled between their channels?  It sounds like AT&T did a "DirecTV" (i.e. DirecTV vs. The Weather Reality Channel) to Viacom in the last contract, therefore no taking Palladia off HD Premium.

Besides, you're not really missing anything.  Palladia has, just like all MTV channels over time, been transformed into something away from what it used to be.  Nothing like what it was around 5 years ago.

Message 7 of 10
Scholar

Time Warner was never Viacom-friendly. They had more beefs with Viacom than what I can remember. They still don't carry the "Digital Suite" networks (MTV Jams (formerly MTVX), MTV-U, VH1 Soul, CMT Pure Country, etc) that most other systems and U-Verse carry.

They carry Palladia. I think the point of that being on the HD lineup was probably to make having an HD Cable Box look more appealing.  

Message 8 of 10
ACE - Professor

skeeterintexas wrote:

CostaMesaCAGuy wrote:

Who would PAY for C-SPAN????  Smiley Frustrated

Probably the same sap who would upgrade their TV package in order to get NASA TV in SD only.

Oh...wait...

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 10
ACE - Professor

jeremy1069fm wrote:

It's free on Time Warner as well, when I switched about 3 years ago that was the one thing I noticed. Doesn't really bother me, as I didn't watch it much. HD was also free on Time Warner, no $10 fee, but Time Warner really sucks in regards to equipment, and channel selection. There's always a trade off.

If anything, the extra charge keeps your regular bill down a little, as carriage fees would likely jack it up. 

True, TW charges for all boxes and extra for DVRs.  AT&T's $10 HD fee is optional and has stayed the same for the past many years. TW's box fee has gone up and up while the non-DVRs have stayed the exact same.

Speaking of DVRs, AT&T's DVR fee is included with all packages U-200 and up. True, those packages have gone up, but the channel selection has also increased.

At the end of the day, you're probably paying more with TW, considering you'd have to pay to rent two boxes plus two DVR rental fees, whereas those fees would cost $10 with U-300 or U-450 or $17 for U-200. (Add $8 for additional boxes past two, or in some cases, $8 for your second box.

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support