Vip 2250 capability/options questions.

Contributor

Vip 2250 capability/options questions.

Hi,
Just moved from Dish (vip722) to ATT vip2250 dvr.

So far, I am a little surprised at how few features the ATT dvr has. Perhaps I am missing something? 

Inital reactions: 

1) didn't receive a user manual - can't find one on line (installation sure, but not user)
2) No way to resize picture to best fit TV when changing from HD to non HD channel.
3) No way to set end time to any number of minutes over (I used to use 1 min typically - its 5mins minimum on ATT)
4) Show epidsode numbers are not shown. (titles are which is nice - but I lost about 15 "Pawn stars" episodes when I dropped dish and I know their episode numbers and can't correlate with aTT)
5) Search function is very limited compared with dish dvr. 
6) The guide only shows ALL channels, there's no "subscribed" option.
7) Switching between guides is cumbersome.
8) Program guide switches back to canned "Guide" from programmed favorite every time you select a station then go back to program guide.
9) When I tell the dish dvr to tape "all" episodes of a show, it will record each episode only once. The ATT machine seems to want to record every episode even if its shown 20 times!
10) Intermittently losing audio on HD channels - I have my dolby receiver set up as a pass through to the TV so that I can have surround sound with the audio receiver ON, but audio on the TV with the audio receiver off - worked fine with dish but may need a different solution with ATT for some reason.

There's more but that's what comes to mind off hand.   Is there a users manual?  I am wondering if there are some secret setup menus I have missed (don't think so but......)

On the PLUS side, ATT has the ability to record 4 simultaneously vs 2+1 on dish, and ATT carries Premier league extra time overflow channels which was the reason for my switch after 11 years with Dish.

Cheers!
Message 1 of 7 (558 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Vip 2250 capability/options questions.

[ Edited ]

kenc295 - No, no manual.

Picture resize is in menu displayed via enter/zoom button - bottom right. Same button navigates guide if it is pushed when guide is displayed.

End time can be added under stop recording on "record" screen

Menu/channel shortcuts has abbreviated guides both vertical & horizontal. U-verse Packages - select your subscribed package.

The latest release appears to try to make the guide situation better, but it does not work & they cannot say how it is supposed to work. Best solution is use Menu/ favorites.
Add your favorite channels - When watching a channel  press enter button & select add channel to favorites.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7 (553 Views)
ACE - Master

6) The guide only shows ALL channels, there's no "subscribed" option. 

You'll need to hide any channels that either you are NOT subscribed to or have no interest in.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 7 (507 Views)
Contributor

aviewer:

Thanks for the tips. 

On the "end time", as I mentioned I only found options for a minimum add on time of 5 minutes, where 1min or 2min would be nice to have.  However, I read elsewhere that the dvr automatically starts 1min early and finishes 2min late - is that true?

That's a nice feature that you can add a channel you are watching to your favorite with a click or two - can't do that on dish that I know of, you have to edit the favorite list.

I have to find room for some of these remote buttons on my harmony one. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 7 (490 Views)
Contributor

skeeter,

Thanks, sure I can do that, but dish offers "subscribed" as a canned guide. Handy to not have to sift through all the stuff I don't have anyway.  Once my favorites are finalized it'll be fine, but even with dish I would sometimes go to "subscribed" to look for extra channels that I don't usually bother with BUT that I was actually subscribed to.

ATT really needs to add some functionality to the dvr IMO.

Message 5 of 7 (487 Views)
ACE - Expert

kenc295 -
Menu/channel shortcuts / U-verse Packages - is subscribed when you select the package you are subscribed to. The big miss is that these shortcuts or favorites cannot be accessed by the guide button.

My end time shows - 5 , 15, 30 mins, 1,2,3 hours.

"I read elsewhere that the dvr automatically starts 1min early and finishes 2min late - is that true?"

Yes, but don't hold me to the exact time. Never been a problem for me.

I found the button map pretty good match on the Harmony 700. Post if you have an questions, thoughts, suggestions on the button mapping.
Message 6 of 7 (476 Views)
ACE - Expert

kenc295 wrote:

aviewer:

Thanks for the tips. 

On the "end time", as I mentioned I only found options for a minimum add on time of 5 minutes, where 1min or 2min would be nice to have.  However, I read elsewhere that the dvr automatically starts 1min early and finishes 2min late - is that true?

That's a nice feature that you can add a channel you are watching to your favorite with a click or two - can't do that on dish that I know of, you have to edit the favorite list.

I have to find room for some of these remote buttons on my harmony one. Smiley Happy

Uverse already adds 1 minute before and 2 minutes after the end time soft padding. 

It will knock off the soft padding if a conflict would exist between a show ending and one starting on different networks, if on the same network, Uverse keeps the soft padding for both. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 7 of 7 (418 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.