Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 17, 2013
12:28:45 PM
View profile
VPN not working with Pace 3801HGV

I have Uverse Internet and TV. For Internet I have the Pace 3801HGV gateway/router. I am not able to connect to my work VPN from home. My work VPN uses PPTP - I have tried all the suggestions in the forum (setting my laptop to DMZ plus, allowing PPTP server application to run, using WPA-TKIP etc. in my router configuration all with no luck). Even if I connect my laptop using an Ethernet cable to a LAN port on the router it does not work. My laptop works at a friends place with no problem (he has Comcast) but does not work at another friends or the neighboor's house (both have ATT Uverse). This all seems to indicate a problem with ATT only. I do not want to change Internet service provider because of this and would really like to stay with ATT if I can. My work IT department says they only use PPTP with port 1723 and GRE protocol 47 and it works for everybody else in the company.

I have Uverse Internet and TV. For Internet I have the Pace 3801HGV gateway/router. I am not able to connect to my work VPN from home. My work VPN uses PPTP - I have tried all the suggestions in the forum (setting my laptop to DMZ plus, allowing PPTP server application to run, using WPA-TKIP etc. in my router configuration all with no luck). Even if I connect my laptop using an Ethernet cable to a LAN port on the router it does not work. My laptop works at a friends place with no problem (he has Comcast) but does not work at another friends or the neighboor's house (both have ATT Uverse). This all seems to indicate a problem with ATT only. I do not want to change Internet service provider because of this and would really like to stay with ATT if I can. My work IT department says they only use PPTP with port 1723 and GRE protocol 47 and it works for everybody else in the company.

VPN not working with Pace 3801HGV

6 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 12:30:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

As a data point, I have used both PPTP and IPsec VPN's on AT&T U-verse with an 2WIRE 3800, which runs essentially the same software as the 3801.

As a data point, I have used both PPTP and IPsec VPN's on AT&T U-verse with an 2WIRE 3800, which runs essentially the same software as the 3801.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: VPN not working with Pace 3801HGV

2 of 7 (1,129 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 12:41:12 PM
(0)
Contributor

Did you have to do any special settings on the 3800 to make it work? IS there a way to update the firmware? I have u-verse TV with one wireless connection to a downstairs TV - is this likley to cause a problem?

Did you have to do any special settings on the 3800 to make it work? IS there a way to update the firmware? I have u-verse TV with one wireless connection to a downstairs TV - is this likley to cause a problem?

3 of 7 (1,123 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 1:02:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

No special settings.  My PC has a wired connection to the RG, but it's not in the DMZplus zone, nor have I created any kind of port forwards or pinholes.  It just came up.

The DMZplus zone idea is a good one, as it removes NAT from the equation.  Sometimes NAT can break VPN setup because the end point addresses don't match up.  OTOH, I've set up tunnels with NAT and had no issue.  Double NAT (where you've guy another router behind the RG not in DMZ plus mode and also performing NAT) is a definite no-no.

You cannot update the firmware in the RG.  AT&T tightly manages the firmware versions and pushes out releases as they are ready for them to be distributed.  And I will say that it has been many revisions ago that I used a PPTP VPN connection; we switched to IPSec a few years ago.

While the presence of the Wireless Receiver would affect some networking configurations (e.g. if you had an inhome web server you wanted to use SSL with), I don't see how it would affect you with what you're trying to do here.

I've not spend the time diagnosing VPN problems that others have, so I can't suggest how to pull out Wireshark and run through the packet trace for this problem, though you may find some useful information in either the RG's log or in the VPN endpoint on the other end.  I'm assuming there are no useful logs or messages from your PPTP client.

No special settings.  My PC has a wired connection to the RG, but it's not in the DMZplus zone, nor have I created any kind of port forwards or pinholes.  It just came up.

The DMZplus zone idea is a good one, as it removes NAT from the equation.  Sometimes NAT can break VPN setup because the end point addresses don't match up.  OTOH, I've set up tunnels with NAT and had no issue.  Double NAT (where you've guy another router behind the RG not in DMZ plus mode and also performing NAT) is a definite no-no.

You cannot update the firmware in the RG.  AT&T tightly manages the firmware versions and pushes out releases as they are ready for them to be distributed.  And I will say that it has been many revisions ago that I used a PPTP VPN connection; we switched to IPSec a few years ago.

While the presence of the Wireless Receiver would affect some networking configurations (e.g. if you had an inhome web server you wanted to use SSL with), I don't see how it would affect you with what you're trying to do here.

I've not spend the time diagnosing VPN problems that others have, so I can't suggest how to pull out Wireshark and run through the packet trace for this problem, though you may find some useful information in either the RG's log or in the VPN endpoint on the other end.  I'm assuming there are no useful logs or messages from your PPTP client.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 7 (1,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 4:35:11 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi raviram99,

We have received your message and will be glad to work with you to get this resolved.

-David T

Need more help?

Download the myAT&T App and click Fix It Now! Support Tools to get U-verse help. Have additional questions, post below or search our forums using the search bar above. Our community members post a lot of great answers!

For more assistance, send a brief message to ATTU-verseCare . Be sure to include your account number, name, and contact number.

Hi raviram99,

We have received your message and will be glad to work with you to get this resolved.

-David T

Need more help?

Download the myAT&T App and click Fix It Now! Support Tools to get U-verse help. Have additional questions, post below or search our forums using the search bar above. Our community members post a lot of great answers!

For more assistance, send a brief message to ATTU-verseCare . Be sure to include your account number, name, and contact number.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 7 (1,102 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2015 4:37:33 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Marcink99 on Nov 17, 2015 at 4:45:10 PM

I have the same problem. How did you fix it?
I've tried dmz mode/firewall disabled and still cant connect through PPTP to our office.VPN works on all other internet providers.

3801HGV
Hardware Version 000778-004
Software Version 6.11.1.29-enh.tm

I have the same problem. How did you fix it?
I've tried dmz mode/firewall disabled and still cant connect through PPTP to our office.VPN works on all other internet providers.

3801HGV
Hardware Version 000778-004
Software Version 6.11.1.29-enh.tm

[ Edited ]
6 of 7 (510 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2016 5:35:05 PM
(0)
Contributor

Same problem here.  How did you resolve it?

Thanks, 

TheVyb

Same problem here.  How did you resolve it?

Thanks, 

TheVyb

7 of 7 (311 Views)