Uverse slow at night

Tutor

Uverse slow at night

Hope this is the right place for this. I have been having this issue for a couple months now. Every evening around 6 or 7 my Uverse speed drops significantly. I have the 12Mb plan which during the day is great. Here is a typical daytime result just after noon local

Now here is a few hours later at about 9:30

These results are pretty much daily normal.

A tech came a couple of weeks ago and told me he "did some things behind the scenes" but he couldn't do much about it on this end. Yesterday I called again and was told tech would be by today. Technician calls me this morning and says it's a wide spread problem and I am not the only person with this issue that he can do nothing about and has "passed it up the chain".

I guess I'm wondering if others are having this issue also and does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks

Message 1 of 13 (5,661 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Uverse slow at night

It almost sounds as if your neighborhood gateway has been overprovisioned.  During the day when everyone is at work/school, the link to the neighborhood gatway is fine, but in the evening, when everyone is home & watching TV/surfing, then the link is oversaturated and performance suffers.

I can tell you that I have the 12Mb plan and I generally run slightly faster than your midday speeds all day long & even into the early miorning hours.  My last set of tests the other evening was giving me 11.5Mb/s down and 1.47 Mb/s up with a 37 ms ping time to a server ~200 miles away.  I ran those tests about 8:30pm CDT.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 13 (5,659 Views)
Professor

GeekBoy wrote:

It almost sounds as if your neighborhood gateway has been overprovisioned.  During the day when everyone is at work/school, the link to the neighborhood gatway is fine, but in the evening, when everyone is home & watching TV/surfing, then the link is oversaturated and performance suffers.

I can tell you that I have the 12Mb plan and I generally run slightly faster than your midday speeds all day long & even into the early miorning hours.  My last set of tests the other evening was giving me 11.5Mb/s down and 1.47 Mb/s up with a 37 ms ping time to a server ~200 miles away.  I ran those tests about 8:30pm CDT.

Unlikely, since each customer has their own independent connection to the VRad, along with the same back to the ATM.  Helps to have the OP post the following screen shots from Uverse Realtime:  IP/Profile, Error Table, Bit Loading.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

Outtages in the ATT network does happen which will definitely decrease your speeds or take them offline completely, but not for couple of months like in your case. This might be a complicated pinch you are in, there are many variables that can cause this problem. Anything from sprinklers coming on to neighbors using a ham radio or any other devices causing interference.

Message 4 of 13 (5,605 Views)
Tutor

I tried that Uverse Realtime but could not get it to work. Is it just for the 2Wire gateways because I have the Motorola nvg510 ( which I do not like)?

Message 5 of 13 (5,583 Views)
Expert

mjdean wrote:

I tried that Uverse Realtime but could not get it to work. Is it just for the 2Wire gateways because I have the Motorola nvg510 ( which I do not like)?

Sorry, UV Realtime does not support the NVG510.  Only 2Wire VDSL gateways are supported (3800, 3801, 3600, 3812).

Message 6 of 13 (5,564 Views)
Tutor

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

mjdean wrote:

Sorry, UV Realtime does not support the NVG510.  Only 2Wire VDSL gateways are supported (3800, 3801, 3600, 3812).

That doesn't surprise me. Oh well, I'll just keep bugging them I guess. Thanks

Message 7 of 13 (5,487 Views)
Professor

mjdean wrote:

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

mjdean wrote:

That doesn't surprise me. Oh well, I'll just keep bugging them I guess. Thanks

Might want to rethink that sentence.  You just put down the writer of the software program being discussed, who is in no way paid by ATT to write the program when he did, nor receiving any compensation, other than from those of us that have paid for premium of the package.

Used to be with Smoothwall, which is a Linux based Router project, there was a add-on, that you could pull diagnostic info from various modems.  You can ask over at the Smoothwall community, or do a search over there.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

Apologies. It was not my intent to put anyone down. I was not refering to the software but the overall situation. Should have chosen my words better. I'll look at the Smoothwall community. Thanks.

Message 9 of 13 (5,446 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

No offense taken. I didn't purposely exclude NVG510 support from the program, it's just that in my house I have a 2Wire 3800HGV-B. With that, I was able to develop the program to be compatible with all 2Wire gateways.

If I had an NVG510 with my service, I might try to make the program compatible with it, but I don't have one so I can't.

Message 10 of 13 (5,419 Views)
Professor

The add-on is called "Broadband modem monitor". The problem is, it has been around four years or so, since I played around with Smoothwall, and that was when I had Comcast for both tv & Internet.

I ended up going with pfSense after finding that Smoothwall had quite a few short comings for what I wanted in a build your own router project.

This is a problem that multiple people have and all the response I ever get from AT&T is that it is the modem, configuration, etc.  Has anyone been able to determine the true reason this happens every night?

Message 12 of 13 (3,443 Views)
ACE - Expert

The reason "it" happens every night varies from user to user.  You may want to post the specific symptoms of your particular flavor of "it", and if you have an RG that works with UV Realtime, download, install, run it and post screenshots of the IP/Profile tab, Bitloading tab, Error Table tab, and Coax/HPNA tab.

To post screenshots in the forum, [create a new thread/reply to this post] and use the Insert/Edit Image button (it looks like a tree) in the post editor. One of us will look at your information and let you know what we think.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 13 of 13 (3,434 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.