Uverse is not really optical cable?

Tutor

Uverse is not really optical cable?

We have Unverse installed at our church near UCI campus. However, its speed is only 1.5M download and 250K upload. Slower than DSL services.  ATT tech said that is because the locaiton is too far. My quesiton is, since ATT advertise Uverse is fiber optical, does the distance actually matter?  It is way below advertised speed.  In addition, if distance limited download speed, who limited upload speed?  This is way way too slow.

Message 1 of 23 (1,313 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Uverse is not really optical cable?

[ Edited ]

A couple of notes here:

1) The Original U-verse service is Fiber Optic... to a point.  That point may be in your neighborhood (Fiber to the Node or FTTN), in front of (or behind) your home (Fiber to the Curb, FTTC) or to the side of your house (Fiber to the Premisses, or FTTP).  Only a few U-verse subscribers are "all fiber", or FTTP.  Most are FTTN, and use copper from the Node (a VRAD) to their home.  FTTP customers get a nearly 30 Mbps link to their home.  FTTN/FTTC can get as much as 55 Mbps link now.  This link is shared between all services in the home (IPTV, VOIP) and is not all available for Hight Speed Internet (HSI).

2) A couple of years ago, some smart [sic] person in AT&T Marketing decided to brand a new, slightly better, version of plain old DSL (now ADSL2+) as U-verse High Speed Internet, to sew confusion and make people think they were getting something they're not.  This ADSL2+ flavor is used where the original is not available, normally due to low density and the expense of building a VRAD close enough.  It can come from the CO or from a VRAD.  But the main point is that because of the distance it has to serve, the speeds are much less than those enjoyed by VDSL2 and FTTP subscribers.

It appears you have this ADSL2+ flavor of U-verse HSI.  

As for the limited upload speed, nearly all consumer Internet access is asymmetrical; i.e. more channels/bandwidth going downstream than coming upstream.  For a 1.5 Mbps down, 250 Kbps up sounds about right.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 23 (1,298 Views)
Tutor

Then ATT is lying. We had DSL+ already, and when we switch, we specifically told ATT we want optical version Uverse.  To be a honest company, it would remove all confusing offering, so that not fool people thought for getting low speed offering.  What is the point for us to spend money install ADSL+ when we already have ADSL+? I understand the speed is async for upload and download, however, if the distance limiting max speed, it should not limiting uplink speed propertionally, rather let uplink speed to reach the max spec, be 786K or whatever, instead of 250k/s.

Message 3 of 23 (1,285 Views)
Scholar

Of course they're lying.  They don't seem to want to be an honest company.  They're structured to make more money lying to the customer.  It's engrained in their corporate structure.  I had to upgrade to fake uverse becaues they kept degrading my older adsl line.  It was getting slower over the months, so I ordered u-verse.  The sales people aren't technical enough to know better.  Maybe some do, but I doubt it.  I knew immediately after recieving the Motorola NVG-510 that it wasn't fiber, but it improved my speed and I paid less, so I accepted it.  I asked the tech about it and he basically said they market it that way.

Unfortunately, they're a monopoly.  Although they were required to open their lines for DSL, they don't need to with U-Verse.  The only other company available to me is Comcast, and I hate them just as much.  I have Sonic available, but, judging by the offering, it looks like they use AT&T's older ADSL line and cost more.

You must always remember that Marketting is lying to you.  These days they don't tell you outright lies becaues consumer reports used to have a show that pointed them out.  Now, they sell an image and images aren't about truths or lies, so there's no outright lying that you can call them on.  Just watch the modern Clio awards to understand.  They sell fantasy.

Message 4 of 23 (1,270 Views)
ACE - Expert

To be honest, whoever took your order for U-verse HSI may not realize that the product you got is not the same as the VDSL offering.  And your data will go over fiber, just not as early in the process as it could otherwise.  You can be fairly sure that it won't leave the CO on copper these days. 

Finally, keep in mind that if your signal is marginal going down, it's marginal going back as well.  AT&T sells service tiers, and the upstream speed is matched to a downstream speed.  That relationship in terms of resources is built in thoughout the plant, i.e. the number of channels, fibers, whatever are in these proportions.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 23 (1,263 Views)
Tutor

They are not monoply in our town. Cox offers 10Mup and 10M down for about same price.  We thought we were loyal ATT customer for years, so that ATT would not cheat us like this.  I will have to recommend to my superior that we were fooled and have to switch to Cox Internet, also switch out our land phone, too.

Message 6 of 23 (1,249 Views)
ACE - Expert

willchen wrote:

Unfortunately, they're a monopoly.  Although they were required to open their lines for DSL, they don't need to with U-Verse.  The only other company available to me is Comcast, and I hate them just as much.  I have Sonic available, but, judging by the offering, it looks like they use AT&T's older ADSL line and cost more. 

So... in addition to AT&T you can choose Comcast or Sonic.  How does this fit the definition of "monopoly."

Message 7 of 23 (1,241 Views)

JefferMC wrote:

willchen wrote:

So... in addition to AT&T you can choose Comcast or Sonic.  How does this fit the definition of "monopoly."

It's not, by any definition

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 8 of 23 (1,234 Views)
Tutor

I did not say ATT is monoply, I only say ATT is a liar. Not a honest company.

Other people posted saying ATT is monoply in their area, that could be true.

Only loser cheat others. ATT sounds like such a cheater.

Message 9 of 23 (1,204 Views)
Scholar

Yes, the two communtiy excellence apologists have correctly nitpicked my poor choice of terminology.  I'll try to word it a little more accurately in the future.  Thank you.

Sonic is not really a choice, since they're forced into using the lesser of AT&T's ADSL lines at a higher cost.  I would have to work with Sonic as well as AT&T, indirectly, to get service issues corrected.

You're right that it's not technically a monopoly.  It's more of a duopoly structure that's prevalent in US cities.  Choice is very limited and it prevents any real competition.  This country is falling behind in the telecom industry because of this.  They both need to be broken up again.

Message 10 of 23 (1,171 Views)

ibswayne wrote:

I did not say ATT is monoply, I only say ATT is a liar. Not a honest company.

Other people posted saying ATT is monoply in their area, that could be true.

Only loser cheat others. ATT sounds like such a cheater.

Not seeing where they are lying as you put it.  I do not see any ads claiming that UVerse is 100% fiber?  AT&T's main network is fiber, so how are they lying?

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 11 of 23 (1,153 Views)
Scholar

oufanindallas,

You seem to be some AT&T fan boy, or someone actually indirectly hired by AT&T to promote AT&T goodness and put down legitimate critique.  While AT&T doesn't openly say that U-Verse is all Fiber Optic, they do infer it.  It's the way the market their product.  Sure, they don't outright lie, but that's how marketting works.  They're doing it in a way to trick the customer into believing it, while staying within the legal bounds of not actually lying or committing fraud.  Legally, they're in the clear, but laymen see it as a lie.  This is how all modern marketting works, and you need critical thinking skills to figure this out, which unfortunately isn't taught to the same levels everywhere.

Message 12 of 23 (1,136 Views)
ACE - Expert

So... caveat emptor, do your research, etc... Right?

Good advice.

Message 13 of 23 (1,120 Views)
Highlighted

So if AT&T isn't "technically" a monopoly; and if they are not "actually" lying, I'm not sure what the problem is.  The OP was concerned about speed and distance, and a reasonable answer was provided.  The only AT&T employees here are clearly identified as such in their signatures--the rest of us are just subscribers, albeit with widely varying degrees of technical knowledge.  Some of the less technically inclined members (like myself) who lack the technical background have done their due diligence, applied critical thinking skills and selected a provider.  This forum is a great source of information, but it is up to the individual to make choices.  Misunderstandings and disappointment are unfortunate, but they most often arise from a failure to do one's homework before buying--caveat emptor, as JefferMC says.  There is no grand scheme by AT&T to deceive anyone--the information is there for the asking.  Switching providers is the other alternative.  By the way, I think I prefer "Community Excellence Apologist" to "Fanboy."  Smiley Wink

docbombay

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein
Message 14 of 23 (1,113 Views)

willchen wrote:

oufanindallas,

You seem to be some AT&T fan boy, or someone actually indirectly hired by AT&T to promote AT&T goodness and put down legitimate critique.  While AT&T doesn't openly say that U-Verse is all Fiber Optic, they do infer it.  It's the way the market their product.  Sure, they don't outright lie, but that's how marketting works.  They're doing it in a way to trick the customer into believing it, while staying within the legal bounds of not actually lying or committing fraud.  Legally, they're in the clear, but laymen see it as a lie.  This is how all modern marketting works, and you need critical thinking skills to figure this out, which unfortunately isn't taught to the same levels everywhere.

I am neither a "fan boy" or an employee of AT&T.  Do I like my service with AT&T yes, is it perfect, no. But for people to come into these forums and make such blatantly wrong statements it deserves to be shot down.  As for marketing, I know all about how marketing works, my wife is a marketing director and I've had several college courses in marketing for my college degree. I also work hand in hand with the marketing department where I work.  If someone doesn't like the services that are provided they are free to change their isp/cable provider. No one is forcing anyone to stay. 

Message 15 of 23 (1,098 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.