Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 16, 2014
12:12:35 PM
Uverse cuts Out on Regular Basis
Edited by Armygrognard on Mar 16, 2014 at 12:16:13 PM

I live on the edge of rural (in Texas), and any further out I'd have no Uverse (and there is NO cable out here).  In that respect, I am thankful for what I have, and while I hate my max 3 Mbps, it's better than my alternatives.  However, while I can live with low bandwidth, its the continual resetting of the gateway that is killing me, somedays upwards of every five minutes, taking 45 to 90 seconds to reset.

I use an AT&T NVG510 gateway.  I have had the techs out here so often I see them as often as my family.  I've had wires changes, routers swapped, run the gateway through a battery back-up (they thought my house's power may be funky), changed filters, reset the gateway, the techs have messed with the box down the road and in-town, and god only knows what else they have done that I don't know about.  Yet it persists.

I can live with the speed, and my sons will be content with the 70 - 100 ping on World of Tanks (was 600+ on satellite), but the lag and resets, even when not in the game, are intolerable.  Worse, my AT&T landline runs through it (when I went from DSL to Uverse) so it is dead also every five minutes.  Not worth the money I am paying for that, so I'll be cancelling it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

I live on the edge of rural (in Texas), and any further out I'd have no Uverse (and there is NO cable out here).  In that respect, I am thankful for what I have, and while I hate my max 3 Mbps, it's better than my alternatives.  However, while I can live with low bandwidth, its the continual resetting of the gateway that is killing me, somedays upwards of every five minutes, taking 45 to 90 seconds to reset.

I use an AT&T NVG510 gateway.  I have had the techs out here so often I see them as often as my family.  I've had wires changes, routers swapped, run the gateway through a battery back-up (they thought my house's power may be funky), changed filters, reset the gateway, the techs have messed with the box down the road and in-town, and god only knows what else they have done that I don't know about.  Yet it persists.

I can live with the speed, and my sons will be content with the 70 - 100 ping on World of Tanks (was 600+ on satellite), but the lag and resets, even when not in the game, are intolerable.  Worse, my AT&T landline runs through it (when I went from DSL to Uverse) so it is dead also every five minutes.  Not worth the money I am paying for that, so I'll be cancelling it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Uverse cuts Out on Regular Basis

[ Edited ]
8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2014 12:43:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Armygrognard - It could be just about anything & it sounds like they have tried just about anything. Since it is so elusive i will go with interference. That will be very hard to track down, but since it resets so often, you will not have to wait very long to find out.

For anything electrical - but, start with anything that has a power brick - disconnect it for a length of time long enough to see if the gateway resets. Maybe start with stuff closest to the gateway.

Another generator is high efficiency gas furnace. But, yours sounds too often for it to be that
Armygrognard - It could be just about anything & it sounds like they have tried just about anything. Since it is so elusive i will go with interference. That will be very hard to track down, but since it resets so often, you will not have to wait very long to find out.

For anything electrical - but, start with anything that has a power brick - disconnect it for a length of time long enough to see if the gateway resets. Maybe start with stuff closest to the gateway.

Another generator is high efficiency gas furnace. But, yours sounds too often for it to be that
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Uverse cuts Out on Regular Basis

2 of 9 (532 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2014 2:51:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

No gas out here, so that's eliminated.  I can't elimunate everything else on that circuit, but I can probably get the gateway onto a seperate one from all my electronics (I think).  It is an older house -- about 16-18 years old -- and I am not excited about the wiring. 

I did try something else I'd seen in the forum, and that is disabling Bonjour on all the PC's.  3 of 4 done (one offline and not disabled yet) and it hasn't cut out since, though that may be a coincidence (I've had stable periods before).

Anyway, thanks, and I'll see if I can isolate the power for the gateway.

No gas out here, so that's eliminated.  I can't elimunate everything else on that circuit, but I can probably get the gateway onto a seperate one from all my electronics (I think).  It is an older house -- about 16-18 years old -- and I am not excited about the wiring. 

I did try something else I'd seen in the forum, and that is disabling Bonjour on all the PC's.  3 of 4 done (one offline and not disabled yet) and it hasn't cut out since, though that may be a coincidence (I've had stable periods before).

Anyway, thanks, and I'll see if I can isolate the power for the gateway.

3 of 9 (508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2014 3:03:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
@Armygrognard - I am not looking for just something that travels through the electric service. I am trying to find something that oscillates and radiates through the air. Same as a radio station.

You do not live under an am broadcast antenna?? Do you have any wireless devices??
@Armygrognard - I am not looking for just something that travels through the electric service. I am trying to find something that oscillates and radiates through the air. Same as a radio station.

You do not live under an am broadcast antenna?? Do you have any wireless devices??
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 9 (504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2014 7:51:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

And that would affect hardwire how?  No towers near me.  Only wireless I have is the Gateway.  The phone are not using wireless.  The tech thought the power in the house -- powering the gateway -- may be at fault.

The Bonjour was a wash.  Still getting bounced.

I suspect the ultimate reason is old AT&T wire and hardware at their connection points (one tech hinted at it) but I don't anticipate AT&T spending $$$ to make a few rural customers happy.

And that would affect hardwire how?  No towers near me.  Only wireless I have is the Gateway.  The phone are not using wireless.  The tech thought the power in the house -- powering the gateway -- may be at fault.

The Bonjour was a wash.  Still getting bounced.

I suspect the ultimate reason is old AT&T wire and hardware at their connection points (one tech hinted at it) but I don't anticipate AT&T spending $$$ to make a few rural customers happy.

5 of 9 (486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2014 1:32:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Mar 17, 2014 at 1:34:45 PM

Armygrognard - Re: And that would affect hardwire how? - The wiring acts as an antenna to take in the interference signal. It appears to the u-verse processing as noise over riding the content signal. The U-verse equipment tries to obtain a valid signal by rebooting.

How about a treadmill or similar device? Do you have anything like that?

Armygrognard - Re: And that would affect hardwire how? - The wiring acts as an antenna to take in the interference signal. It appears to the u-verse processing as noise over riding the content signal. The U-verse equipment tries to obtain a valid signal by rebooting.

How about a treadmill or similar device? Do you have anything like that?

[ Edited ]
6 of 9 (440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2014 6:46:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

I see.  I guess I never considered it, as it was never a problem with any broadband in any state (or country) that I've lived in, ever, until now. 

No, no treadmill.  Standard household stuff.  Fridge, freezer, TV, etc.

I see.  I guess I never considered it, as it was never a problem with any broadband in any state (or country) that I've lived in, ever, until now. 

No, no treadmill.  Standard household stuff.  Fridge, freezer, TV, etc.

7 of 9 (400 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 8:10:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

Doomed to accept mediocre service.  *sigh*

Maybe cable will come through here someday.

Doomed to accept mediocre service.  *sigh*

Maybe cable will come through here someday.

8 of 9 (302 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 8:16:53 PM
(0)
Employee
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 9 (299 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments