Uverse and Motorola NVG510 working with Small Business Server 2003 DHCP

Highlighted
Tutor

Uverse and Motorola NVG510 working with Small Business Server 2003 DHCP

I run a small business and am too cheap to deal with a tech at this point.  I originally set up the server using the default DHCP server setup. Since the installation of the Uverse, I now am having serious issues with the network access and etc. 

I did find out the hard way that the new Motorola NVG510 automatically serves as a DHCP server.  Conflicting with the SBS2003 DHCP.  I disabled the sbs2003 DHCP server and it is somewhat working.

For whatever reason, the DHCP server through NVG510 sucks.  My devices are having hard time connecting to each other, and dropping connections indicating that there are multiple attempts at connecting.

I did find out that it is possible to turn the NVG510 into a bridge mode; however, I noticed that I would have to put my sbs2003 into a different address range.  ie 192.168.1.x to 192.168.2.x.  I think I can set up a new DHCP server with the address range, but does that impact other services such as DNS and etc?  

I know... I probably need a qualified IT personnel, but running a small business is...  Any words of wisdom appreciated...

Message 1 of 8 (815 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Uverse and Motorola NVG510 working with Small Business Server 2003 DHCP

Could you give us some more idea of how many, and what kind of network devices you've got?  Also, how you're connecting them all together (e.g. a switch, a consumer router)?  What is wireless, what is not?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8 (802 Views)
Community Support

Hi hxgaser,

When it comes to changing the IP address range, you should not have to change it on your server as long as you ensure there is no conflicts with the NVG510 DHCP pool. Instead of changing it on your server, you can change it on the NVG510 by logging into it and going to Home Network -> Subnets & DHCP, and just change the Private LAN Subnet information to change the DHCP pool. But either way, because it is a NAT'd private IP address, it should not effect services such as DNS.

If you are still having issues, let us know, and we will be glad to help. Mostly with information like JefferMC stated and it would give us a good idea of what we're working with.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 8 (763 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Sorry took awhile to get back here.  I have 8 windows devices, (6 win7 professional, 2 win xp professional), 1 mac, and 1 copier.  The server address is 192.168.1.10.  Uverse Gateway/router's address is 192.168.1.254, and all the other devices are dynamic, with exception to the copier.  The address pool on the uverse gateway is set to 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.150.  Ther server DHCP is turned off for now.

So the sequence of the connected devices...  Uverse gateway connected to a 24 port switch.  Everything else, including the server connected to the swtich...  I am using the wireless feature on the Uverse gateway.

The previous DSL setup was DSL modem to a wireless router, to the 24 port switch.  The DHCP on the wireless router was turned off.

Message 4 of 8 (743 Views)
Tutor

David,

Thanks for the feed back.  From my minimal knowledge, I think the issue is the DHCP address assignement by NVG510 that is triggering issues with our setup.  So I was hoping to defer the DHCP server role back to the sbs.

Anyways, what is NAT's private IP address?  How is the private IP pool different from the public IP pool which is currentyl not enabled?  

Thanks and sorry for the noob questions.

Message 5 of 8 (742 Views)
Community Support

Thank you for all that information hxgaser.

The only possible issue I could possibly see on the DHCP pools is that you are using the same pool from two devices, so there could be possible conflicts. I would suggest changing one of them to a different one, such as 192.168.2.x.

But definitely, always feel free to ask questions. That's how we all learn.

A private IP address is a set of designated addresses. These are the common ones used for internal networks

10.0.0.0/8 (10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255)
172.16.0.0/12 (172.16.0.0-172.31.255.255)
192.168.0.0/16 (192.168.0.0-192.168.255.255)

The purpose for them is that there are not enough IP addresses in the world, so they developed a set for internal use. The way they are implemented is through Network Address Translation (NAT). So basically, you have one public IP address the world can see, let's say 108.1.1.1. From there, that address is split up and shared by multiple devices through a private IP addresses, and through NAT, the information coming from the public world is then routed through your internal network. So to everyone outside, they do not see the 192.168.1.10 address, they see 108.1.1.1Smiley Sadport number), so with that, it should have no barring effect on DNS, because the DNS maps everything to just your public IP address.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 8 (726 Views)
Tutor

David,

Thanks for the detailed feedback.  So with that said, I have some procedural questions.  Here is how I would think about addressing the issue.

Physically, I would connect another wireless router to the Uverse router, and plug the wireless router to the switch.

1.  The Uverse NVG510 IPv4 address remains as 192.168.1.254

2.  Assign a DHCPv4 Start and End addresses to 192.168.1.20.

3.  Turn the Wirelss off on NVG510.

4.  Allow NVG510's Fire wall IP passthrough ato "DHCPS-Fixed"

5.  Set the Passthrough Fixed MAC address as the wireless router MAC address.

The wireless router's DHCP will be turned off.

Then I would do the following to the server.

1.  Change my server IP address to 192.168.2.XX

2.  Create a new DHCP server within the SBS2003 to a pool in 192.168.2.XX

3.  Leave the DNS settings in the server alone.  (Which is set to 192.168.1.XX pool.

In theory, will this allow the SBS2003 to take over the DHCP server role again?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Message 7 of 8 (669 Views)
Community Support

Ideally, that should all work. You can skip this step

1.  The Uverse NVG510 IPv4 address remains as 192.168.1.254

2.  Assign a DHCPv4 Start and End addresses to 192.168.1.20.

When you set it on IP Passthrough, it passes through the public IP address to that device. The only reason to adjust the DHCP pool is for devices that you wish to connect directly to the U-verse router without the SBS.

From there on your SBS, the rest of the configuration should be perfect. Just make sure those settings on your server are for your LAN side of the SBS, and you don't mess with the WAN configuration.

-David T

Employee Contributor*
Message 8 of 8 (642 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.