Uverse Voice Battery Backup Won't Stop Beeping

Contributor

Uverse Voice Battery Backup Won't Stop Beeping

I know this is an issue many have been having, I've read every post on the forums.  We've already had a tech come out and replace the battery, it still beeps.  They replaced the entire unit, still beeps.  Pushing the button silences it for a few minutes, and it starts all over again.  I've also gone into the IP address/setup and silenced the alarm there, and it still beeps.  We've reset it by pushing the button on the side, unplugging, anything we've found on the support forums, nothing works. 

The battery backup is supposed to be only for the phone, but if we unplug it all the way it takes our entire Uverse system down.  It's driving us batty, we want it gone, you can hear it all over the house, at all hours.  It will stop for a day or two, then start up again, we can't even figure out what the trigger is.

The only thing we need a phone line for is the alarm system, so a regular phone line is fine. We tried the Uverse phone with a bundle, but we're done with it. The rest of the Uverse service is great.

As usual, tech support in India was useless.  No one can seem to answer the following:  If we get rid of the Uverse phone and just have a regular phone line, do we still need the stupid battery backup for anything? 

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Master

Re: Uverse Voice Battery Backup Won't Stop Beeping

AFAIK, you don't HAVE to have the BBU.  I think you can plug the RG directly into the wall or a power strip.

The BBU is just that: "A BACK UP".  It's supposed to last 4 hours but it was my experience that it lasted only 2 which doesn't help is your power is out for 3 days. 

My Belkin has a switch on the front to silence the beeping.  Our power was out for 3 hours last week.  First thing I did was silence the little bugger.

I'd say either put it on silence or remove it.  Yes, you run the risk of not having that backup power but it's only good for a few hours anyway.  If you have a cell phone I'd say no big deal.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Putting it on silence doesn't work Woman Sad  if I hit the button it will stop for a few minutes, then it starts again.  I've gone into the IP address and tried to silence it there to no avail.

Went into the store today, they weren't terribly helpful but told me to keep hitting "0" to get an agent in the states that are the "tier 2" helpers.

I'm going to have them take out the VOIP phone and just put in a regular phone line.  This hassle just isn't worth it.

Message 3 of 4
ACE - Master

Does your BBU look like this? 

I'm asking because this is the one I have (not everyone has the same one) and the switch on the front slides up for beeping and down for silent.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support