Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 21, 2014
10:12:53 AM
View profile
Uverse Signal Strength on my second floor and basement is horrible

I can't get a good signal in my basement or my second floor of my home. We have had new things installed to update the equipment and added a signal booster in the basement. We still are having bad luck getting a good signal. Is there a trick or another piece of equipment I need to buy to make my service Im already paying for work better? I am losing my patience with each service tech that comes out they all put blame on the prior guy for the problem.

I can't get a good signal in my basement or my second floor of my home. We have had new things installed to update the equipment and added a signal booster in the basement. We still are having bad luck getting a good signal. Is there a trick or another piece of equipment I need to buy to make my service Im already paying for work better? I am losing my patience with each service tech that comes out they all put blame on the prior guy for the problem.

Uverse Signal Strength on my second floor and basement is horrible

8 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2014 12:18:32 PM
(0)
Employee

Replace devices in your home that can interfere with network traffic on the 2.4GHz frequency range. You can buy a wireless network analyzer to help you track down the source of interference. A sample of appliances that might be causing the problem include:

• Cordless phones,
  • Microwave ovens.
  • Baby monitors.
  • Security alarms.
  • Television remote controls.
  • Automatic garage door openers.

Check your router's signal strength with these devices.

Compare power levels when each device is on and off to determine if they are the cause of your signal problems.

Change Wireles channel on your router:
    Routers can broadcast on a series of channels, between one and eleven. Change to a channel that will allow your router a clear signal between other wireless networks.

Use a software utility to analyze which networks are using which channel and configure your system for an unused channel.

Change your router's network broadcast mode. Try to use the new 802.11n standard if your router supports it. The 802.11n standard offers far greater range and signal strength compared to 802.11 a/b/g.

Reposition your Router. Sometimes the solution is simple. All you have to do is find a new place to store your router. Raise as far as possible to increase the effective broadcast range.

Place near the center of your house or apartment for wider coverage.

Move closer to the wireless devices, if possible.

Move away from any metal including metal shelving, filing cabinets and similar common objects

Move away from cordless phones and microwaves, which operate on the same 2.4-Ghz frequency.

Be aware of external interference. Move your unit as far away as possible from your next-door neighbor's WiFi router. In addition, if you're living in an apartment building, there might be multiple routers in operation too. Note: make sure you're using a different channel than everyone else.

Smiley Wink

Replace devices in your home that can interfere with network traffic on the 2.4GHz frequency range. You can buy a wireless network analyzer to help you track down the source of interference. A sample of appliances that might be causing the problem include:

• Cordless phones,
  • Microwave ovens.
  • Baby monitors.
  • Security alarms.
  • Television remote controls.
  • Automatic garage door openers.

Check your router's signal strength with these devices.

Compare power levels when each device is on and off to determine if they are the cause of your signal problems.

Change Wireles channel on your router:
    Routers can broadcast on a series of channels, between one and eleven. Change to a channel that will allow your router a clear signal between other wireless networks.

Use a software utility to analyze which networks are using which channel and configure your system for an unused channel.

Change your router's network broadcast mode. Try to use the new 802.11n standard if your router supports it. The 802.11n standard offers far greater range and signal strength compared to 802.11 a/b/g.

Reposition your Router. Sometimes the solution is simple. All you have to do is find a new place to store your router. Raise as far as possible to increase the effective broadcast range.

Place near the center of your house or apartment for wider coverage.

Move closer to the wireless devices, if possible.

Move away from any metal including metal shelving, filing cabinets and similar common objects

Move away from cordless phones and microwaves, which operate on the same 2.4-Ghz frequency.

Be aware of external interference. Move your unit as far away as possible from your next-door neighbor's WiFi router. In addition, if you're living in an apartment building, there might be multiple routers in operation too. Note: make sure you're using a different channel than everyone else.

Smiley Wink

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Uverse Signal Strength on my second floor and basement is horrible

2 of 9 (894 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2014 1:19:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

On top of what raufshake has suggested, I suggest that you try using either channel 1,6, or 11(going through each one and choosing what has the best performance). Those 3 channels usually give the best performance for most, but not completely all people. That's because those channels usually have the least channel "overlap" which can destroy your wireless performance.

I wouldn't completely rely on wireless analyzing scanners though, they don't tell the whole story a lot of the time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.

On top of what raufshake has suggested, I suggest that you try using either channel 1,6, or 11(going through each one and choosing what has the best performance). Those 3 channels usually give the best performance for most, but not completely all people. That's because those channels usually have the least channel "overlap" which can destroy your wireless performance.

I wouldn't completely rely on wireless analyzing scanners though, they don't tell the whole story a lot of the time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 9 (884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 8:54:06 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi there @ccrmwll , did the suggestions provided by @Darknessrise  or @raufshake  help in any way? Let us know if you're still having trouble. We can certainly try to help.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Hi there @ccrmwll , did the suggestions provided by @Darknessrise  or @raufshake  help in any way? Let us know if you're still having trouble. We can certainly try to help.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 9 (799 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 11:48:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by JefferMC on Feb 26, 2014 at 11:48:50 AM

Yet another thing I don't see mentioned here is that Wireless Antennas are usually configured to create a rather flat reception pattern; see the following image from http://www.ampedwireless.com/learningcenter/default2.html#wifi-antennas

So, unless you have external antennas and point them a different way, or rearrange your gateway so that it's not in its default horizontal or vertical configuration, your wireless access usually sits on the same floor of your house as the wireless device.  If you have a narrow house, maybe sit the gateway on its side?

Yet another thing I don't see mentioned here is that Wireless Antennas are usually configured to create a rather flat reception pattern; see the following image from http://www.ampedwireless.com/learningcenter/default2.html#wifi-antennas

So, unless you have external antennas and point them a different way, or rearrange your gateway so that it's not in its default horizontal or vertical configuration, your wireless access usually sits on the same floor of your house as the wireless device.  If you have a narrow house, maybe sit the gateway on its side?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
5 of 9 (786 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 6:29:52 AM
(0)
Contributor

This might be a silly question but how do I go about changing the channels? Is this something I can easliy do?

This might be a silly question but how do I go about changing the channels? Is this something I can easliy do?

6 of 9 (759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 1:08:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Type this into your browser:

Then look for a tab named wireless or something similar. Then set it to either 1,6, and 11(trying each one)

The system password should on the side of the gateway when it asks for it.

Type this into your browser:

Then look for a tab named wireless or something similar. Then set it to either 1,6, and 11(trying each one)

The system password should on the side of the gateway when it asks for it.

7 of 9 (738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2014 12:08:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you so much @ Darknessrise!! It worked I am getting a better signal in my basement and my second floor! I can't thank you enough for telling me a easy way to fix this problem!

Thank you so much @ Darknessrise!! It worked I am getting a better signal in my basement and my second floor! I can't thank you enough for telling me a easy way to fix this problem!

8 of 9 (674 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2014 12:29:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

No problem Smiley Wink

No problem Smiley Wink

9 of 9 (656 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments