Helpful Links

Uverse Router upgrade for N

Observer

Uverse Router upgrade for N

I just switched back to Uverse for internet and TV  and they set me up last week.  (moved and they didn't have Uverse until recently).  The router I recieved is a 2Wire 3800HGV B, is only a B/G Router and pretty old technology.  I have repeaters set up for N mode, so can I upgrade this router to an N capable router by switching out or buying one?  I bought my last one which i was told I needed to replace because I needed newer technology...seems funny now.

 

Can anyone tell me how I go about getting an upgrade or switching out?

932 Views
Message 1 of 6

Re: Uverse Router upgrade for N

For Double or Triple play services you must use an AT&T provided, U-Verse Gateway. These are leased and you cannot purchase one. Unless you're pair-bonded or in a GigaPower area of Austin, you're likely stuck with the 2Wire 3800 or 3801. If you want Wireless N you will have to use your own Wireless N router in DMZ+ mode.
Message 2 of 6

Re: Uverse Router upgrade for N


julywashere wrote:
For Double or Triple play services you must use an AT&T provided, U-Verse Gateway. These are leased and you cannot purchase one. Unless you're pair-bonded or in a GigaPower area of Austin, you're likely stuck with the 2Wire 3800 or 3801. If you want Wireless N you will have to use your own Wireless N router in DMZ+ mode.

If you are a current customer that is correct, however according to the tech that was out to my house on Thursday, they are not using 2Wire products anymore, they are using up current stock, but he said that the largest complaint they had was from the 2Wire line of products.  I had an iNid installation until Wednesday and the old box was all 2Wire.  Now I have the Motorola NVG589.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 3 of 6

Re: Uverse Router upgrade for N


oufanindallas wrote:
If you are a current customer that is correct, however according to the tech that was out to my house on Thursday, they are not using 2Wire products anymore, they are using up current stock, but he said that the largest complaint they had was from the 2Wire line of products.  I had an iNid installation until Wednesday and the old box was all 2Wire.  Now I have the Motorola NVG589.

 

 

@oufanindallas 

 

How did they do that?

 

Does the 589 replace both the i38HGs and the i3812V?

 

Do they run both pairs into the house to the 589 location?

 

How does the 589 compare to multiple i38HGs (if you had multiple i38HGs) as far as wireless coverage?

 

 

 

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

                               neon_sign.jpg

Message 4 of 6

Re: Uverse Router upgrade for N


Computer-Joe wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:
If you are a current customer that is correct, however according to the tech that was out to my house on Thursday, they are not using 2Wire products anymore, they are using up current stock, but he said that the largest complaint they had was from the 2Wire line of products.  I had an iNid installation until Wednesday and the old box was all 2Wire.  Now I have the Motorola NVG589.

 

 

@oufanindallas 

 

How did they do that?

 

Does the 589 replace both the i38HGs and the i3812V?

 

Do they run both pairs into the house to the 589 location?

 

How does the 589 compare to multiple i38HGs (if you had multiple i38HGs) as far as wireless coverage?

 

 

 

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell


I'm not sure @Computer-Joe , I wasn't home when they did the re-install on Wednesday. Thursday the tech that came out to swap ports at the VRAD said that basically the boxes I have on the outside of my house are just there now and not doing anything at all.  I now have a coax connection to the back of the NVG538 where I didn't on the i38 or what ever router it was on the inside Smiley Wink. I can tell you wireless signal is much, much, much better now and it's "N".  

 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 5 of 6

Re: Uverse Router upgrade for N


oufanindallas wrote:

julywashere wrote:
For Double or Triple play services you must use an AT&T provided, U-Verse Gateway. These are leased and you cannot purchase one. Unless you're pair-bonded or in a GigaPower area of Austin, you're likely stuck with the 2Wire 3800 or 3801. If you want Wireless N you will have to use your own Wireless N router in DMZ+ mode.

If you are a current customer that is correct, however according to the tech that was out to my house on Thursday, they are not using 2Wire products anymore, they are using up current stock, but he said that the largest complaint they had was from the 2Wire line of products.  I had an iNid installation until Wednesday and the old box was all 2Wire.  Now I have the Motorola NVG589.



Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't iNID installations only used for FTTN pair-bonded installs? I believe they have phased out the iNID set-ups. When I got my set-up done, we had a two spectators, just watching the set up. One asked if an iNID was going to be used, and the tech doing the set-up said it wasn't necessary because the new RG did what the iNID did. (He also explained to them what to do in case one of the pairs wouldn't sync, which according to him, is a common problem in my area. That, however wasn't the case with my set-up.)

From what I heard, recently, is that they were simply rebranding the 2Wire products (so instead of giving you a 2Wire 3800, you'd get a PACE 3800). Any iNID setups that needed servicing were essentially just being replaced with NVG589, because iNID set-ups are a nightmare.

 

@Computer-Joe, yes the NVG589 replaces both units. The NVG589, receives two pairs from the NID using cat5, and syncs them simultaneously (Broadband 1 and Broadband 2). 

Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support