Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 7, 2014
5:17:46 PM
View profile
Uverse Power help

I just got Uverse power 45 today and switched from Max power 18. Speeds have been pretty slow over wifi connection, slower than when i just had the max power. Is it normal to have speeds of 16Mbps? When i had the 18 i was getting around 19Mbps consistently over wifi. I have the NVG589 setup that came with the power service. Ive only ran two tests with the direct connection and it was around 30-35Mbps, but whats the use of paying 30 dollars more for interent that is slower over wifi?

I just got Uverse power 45 today and switched from Max power 18. Speeds have been pretty slow over wifi connection, slower than when i just had the max power. Is it normal to have speeds of 16Mbps? When i had the 18 i was getting around 19Mbps consistently over wifi. I have the NVG589 setup that came with the power service. Ive only ran two tests with the direct connection and it was around 30-35Mbps, but whats the use of paying 30 dollars more for interent that is slower over wifi?

Uverse Power help

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2014 7:32:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Well, that depends.  If most of your Internet bandwidth demands are from a single wireless client, then maybe not.  On the other hand, if your Internet bandwidth needs are split between wireless and wired clients, then maybe it would be worth while.  If you also have U-verse IPTV service, having the higher profile also gives you more spare bandwidth for TV use before it impacts your Internet.

The NVG 589 has the capability of supporting 802.11n, which should provide higher wireless rates than the 802.11g the 380x was capable of.  However, this would require that your wireless devices have an 802.11n compatible radio in them.

Your issue could be interference in the 2.4 GHz spectrum from nearby homes, other radio frequency devices (old portable phones, baby monitors, etc.

Well, that depends.  If most of your Internet bandwidth demands are from a single wireless client, then maybe not.  On the other hand, if your Internet bandwidth needs are split between wireless and wired clients, then maybe it would be worth while.  If you also have U-verse IPTV service, having the higher profile also gives you more spare bandwidth for TV use before it impacts your Internet.

The NVG 589 has the capability of supporting 802.11n, which should provide higher wireless rates than the 802.11g the 380x was capable of.  However, this would require that your wireless devices have an 802.11n compatible radio in them.

Your issue could be interference in the 2.4 GHz spectrum from nearby homes, other radio frequency devices (old portable phones, baby monitors, etc.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Uverse Power help

2 of 4 (221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2014 5:53:20 PM
(0)
Employee
Log in to your interface for your gateway @ 192.168.1.254. Goto Home Network, then submenu Wireless. It will ask for a device access code at that point. It's on the side of your gateway and is NOT the wireless network key. Once you are in, ensure that the Channel or Wireless Channel setting isn't on AUTO. If it is, try locking it in to channel 9. Run your speedtest again and I assure you there will be an improvement. If not, I would schedule a tech to come out and look into the issue.
Log in to your interface for your gateway @ 192.168.1.254. Goto Home Network, then submenu Wireless. It will ask for a device access code at that point. It's on the side of your gateway and is NOT the wireless network key. Once you are in, ensure that the Channel or Wireless Channel setting isn't on AUTO. If it is, try locking it in to channel 9. Run your speedtest again and I assure you there will be an improvement. If not, I would schedule a tech to come out and look into the issue.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 4 (189 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2014 7:15:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Channel 9?  That's hardly a channel I would recommend.  Why do you?

Channel 9?  That's hardly a channel I would recommend.  Why do you?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 4 (183 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments