Helpful Links

Uverse Power 45mbps,

Uverse Power 45mbps,

I pay for the 24mbps connection, but i never get close to that in speed test.  so why upgrade to 45mbps?

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Expert

Re: Uverse Power 45mbps,

Theisonews wrote:

I pay for the 24mbps connection, but i never get close to that in speed test.  so why upgrade to 45mbps?

Indeed.  Were I paying for 24 Mbps, I'd be working with AT&T to get that.

OTOH, if the reason you're not getting 24 Mbps HSI is because you also have IPTV and the HD is taking too much of your bandwidth, then the situation would get better at 45 Mbps.  This is because 45 Mbps service requires the 55 Mbps profile, giving you 10 Mbps of IPTV before affecting your service, instead of just 8 Mbps AND the full 24 Mbps of 4 HD streams would still leave you 31 Mbps if you're on the 45 Mbps plan, instead of just 6.

Plus, you'd get a higher upstream.

That enough reason?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8
Teacher

Does that mean that an HD tv stream takes 6Mbps of your bandwith for each one?  How much of my bandwith would be left if I'm recording 2 HD streams and I'm subscribed to 12Mbps internet?  I guess I don't know what the bandwith of my service is when I subscribe to 12Mbps internet and uVerse TV....

Message 3 of 8
ACE - Expert

RedJeff53 wrote:

Does that mean that an HD tv stream takes 6Mbps of your bandwith for each one?  How much of my bandwith would be left if I'm recording 2 HD streams and I'm subscribed to 12Mbps internet?  I guess I don't know what the bandwith of my service is when I subscribe to 12Mbps internet and uVerse TV....

Not exactly.  While yes, HD does take 6 Mbps of your line, you have a line profile that controls how much total data you can send through your line to the VRAD.  That line must carry all your IPTV, HSI and VOIP needs and it is not limited to your contracted HSI rate.

Any VOIP traffic is first priority, but its needs are trivial, so don't worry about that.  The IPTV traffic does come out of the line profile next, and every thing else is available for HSI, up to your limit.

An account with IPTV normally has a profile of 25 Mbps or 32 Mbps.  If you have the 25 Mbps profile and are watching two streams of HD TV, then you still have 13 Mbps to carry your 12 Mbps of HSI and thus there is no adverse effect.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 8

i do have the iptv.  so if  both tvs are watching a  hd channel this will  affect my internet speed?

Message 5 of 8
Employee

Theisonews....your on a 32/5 profile is subscribed to 24/3 internet, most will see 80-95% of speed hardwired...less wireless.
Each HD input being used takes a little less than 6 M each...if recording 2 shows, watching 3rd all HD....32-6-6-6=14 @.90% =12.6
Expect wireless to be 10.5 to 12 with above case.
If testing unplug all stbs, including DVR, Ethernet connection to from device to RG, all other devices off.
Speedtest.net to local tests, testing 500 miles away will be less than testing 100 miles away.
Ideally tests will be 90% or better of speed subscribed to...
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 8

Wait a minute.

Are you saying that how many STB's you have on influences Internet speed? 

Conversely, if someone is watching a movie on Netflix or downloading a huge file, that influences my TV HD picture?

Really?

Message 7 of 8
ACE - Expert

marcindublin wrote:

Wait a minute.

Are you saying that how many STB's you have on influences Internet speed? 

Conversely, if someone is watching a movie on Netflix or downloading a huge file, that influences my TV HD picture?

Really?

No, not really.

You have a single line that carries all traffic: VOIP, IPTV and HSI, and they are prioritized in that order.  Thus downloading a large file, or watching a movie on Netflix, using HSI will not influence your TV HD picture.

And just using a STB doesn't necessarily affect your HSI.  The single line has a capacity which is larger than your contracted HSI rate.  If you don't use up that excess capacity with IPTV, there is no effect on HSI.  If you're watching an already recorded program on your STB, then that doesn't use any line capacity.  OTOH, yes, if you're recording 3 HD on your DVR and watching a fourth on an STB, that would consume 24 Mbps of your line.  Assuming a 32 Mbps profile, that would leave a maximum of 8 Mbps for HSI at that time.

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support