Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 7, 2013
3:55:31 AM
View profile
Uverse NVG510 does not allow home networking and serves as access point only

I had ATT install NVG510 "router" last month and it was promoted as a routher but it's home netwoking abilities are disabled.  It serves as an access point only.  I am not able to access business files, family photos and other files stored on network hardrives or other home computers.  It has basically put me "out of business" when it comes to doing back ups and transferring files between computers and networked drives.  ATT does not provide prior notice to customers regarding the disabling of their home network by installing their propietary hardware.

I called ATT customer support and spoke to a supervisor who did not contest any of my claims but was unable to offer advice as to how to reestblish my home network and preserve my internet access with their hardware.

I had ATT install NVG510 "router" last month and it was promoted as a routher but it's home netwoking abilities are disabled.  It serves as an access point only.  I am not able to access business files, family photos and other files stored on network hardrives or other home computers.  It has basically put me "out of business" when it comes to doing back ups and transferring files between computers and networked drives.  ATT does not provide prior notice to customers regarding the disabling of their home network by installing their propietary hardware.

I called ATT customer support and spoke to a supervisor who did not contest any of my claims but was unable to offer advice as to how to reestblish my home network and preserve my internet access with their hardware.

Uverse NVG510 does not allow home networking and serves as access point only

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 4:52:36 AM
(0)
Expert

according to the specificattions here

http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_sku=sku5480277

that device is a router

PTM (Packet Transfer Mode)
  LEDs: Power, Ethernet, Wireless, Wi-Fi Setup, Broadband, Service, Phone1, Phone2 Indicators
LAN Interface – 400mW 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi;Four-Port 10/100 Ethernet Switch, RJ-45;Single-Port Voice FXS, RJ-14
WAN Interface – ADSL2/2+, RJ-11
Device configured for AT&T U-verse Internet services

It has 4 hardwired ports and 802.11 B/G/N. what exactly is the issue that you are having.

according to the specificattions here

http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_sku=sku5480277

that device is a router

PTM (Packet Transfer Mode)
  LEDs: Power, Ethernet, Wireless, Wi-Fi Setup, Broadband, Service, Phone1, Phone2 Indicators
LAN Interface – 400mW 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi;Four-Port 10/100 Ethernet Switch, RJ-45;Single-Port Voice FXS, RJ-14
WAN Interface – ADSL2/2+, RJ-11
Device configured for AT&T U-verse Internet services

It has 4 hardwired ports and 802.11 B/G/N. what exactly is the issue that you are having.

Re: Uverse NVG510 does not allow home networking and serves as access point only

2 of 3 (250 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 6:15:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

AFAIK, there are quite a few people using the NVG 510 to switch/route traffic between devices in their home network, as this is expected behavior.

Perhaps you could detail specific symptoms you are having and what you've tried so far to resolve the issue.

AFAIK, there are quite a few people using the NVG 510 to switch/route traffic between devices in their home network, as this is expected behavior.

Perhaps you could detail specific symptoms you are having and what you've tried so far to resolve the issue.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Uverse NVG510 does not allow home networking and serves as access point only

3 of 3 (223 Views)