Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 29, 2014
7:34:54 PM
Uverse Hsia45 and ps4 not getting near 45Mbps wireless nor hardwired

I recently upgraded my uverse from the 25Mbps to the uverse Hsia45, I have 1 wired ps3, 1 wireless and 1 ps4 wireless. The wired one runs on about 22Mbps and as for the wireless they run about max 17Mbps. I was hoping to reach around 30 considering the ps4 is barely 7 feet from myNVG589. I called and they agreed I should have at least 30Mbps. I looked into the settings and tried changing the channel as well as switching bandwith from 20 to 40 Mhz and it seemed to either jump a bit up or down. I have a tech already scheduled to come out but was hoping I can get some insight as to what may be the issue.

I was also looking into getting Wireless AC to see if I can get the full 45Mbps as I do on my desktop which is wired. Any suggestions or advice would greatly help me out so I dont go out and spend the money on a new AP.

Thanks, 

Rudy

I recently upgraded my uverse from the 25Mbps to the uverse Hsia45, I have 1 wired ps3, 1 wireless and 1 ps4 wireless. The wired one runs on about 22Mbps and as for the wireless they run about max 17Mbps. I was hoping to reach around 30 considering the ps4 is barely 7 feet from myNVG589. I called and they agreed I should have at least 30Mbps. I looked into the settings and tried changing the channel as well as switching bandwith from 20 to 40 Mhz and it seemed to either jump a bit up or down. I have a tech already scheduled to come out but was hoping I can get some insight as to what may be the issue.

I was also looking into getting Wireless AC to see if I can get the full 45Mbps as I do on my desktop which is wired. Any suggestions or advice would greatly help me out so I dont go out and spend the money on a new AP.

Thanks, 

Rudy

Uverse Hsia45 and ps4 not getting near 45Mbps wireless nor hardwired

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 6:46:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I have seen postings that indicate (a) the PS speed tests are not that accurate and (b) they max out about the rate you're seeing them hit, regardless of the network connection.

Have you seen better rates on another provider?

I have seen postings that indicate (a) the PS speed tests are not that accurate and (b) they max out about the rate you're seeing them hit, regardless of the network connection.

Have you seen better rates on another provider?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Uverse Hsia45 and ps4 not getting near 45Mbps wireless nor hardwired

2 of 10 (1,003 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 7:19:25 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by my thoughts on Jan 30, 2014 at 7:32:40 AM

https://www.cites.illinois.edu/wireless/speed.html
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2186561

how are speedtests on other devices?

PS3 is b/g wireless capable only.

For g wireless 54M is theory, 1/2 is available 27M, most can be expected to see is about 80% of 27 for 22M (some report getting 23M).

due to congestion, interference, channel selection could be anywhere from 8 to 22 so 17 is not bad.

if it has to work, hardwired, remember thereis no guarantee minimum internet speed wirelessly.

https://www.cites.illinois.edu/wireless/speed.html
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2186561

how are speedtests on other devices?

PS3 is b/g wireless capable only.

For g wireless 54M is theory, 1/2 is available 27M, most can be expected to see is about 80% of 27 for 22M (some report getting 23M).

due to congestion, interference, channel selection could be anywhere from 8 to 22 so 17 is not bad.

if it has to work, hardwired, remember thereis no guarantee minimum internet speed wirelessly.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
3 of 10 (994 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 10:23:20 AM
(0)
Tutor
Well speed tests on a hardwired pc run about 47mbps, I assumed the ps4 having wireless n and having the 45mbps uverse would bring up the wireless up to maybe 30mbps. On the other hand I was considering adding a wireless ac router to possibly bring up wireless speed but now I'm not so sure it may work at all. Should I even have the tech come out to check or cancel tomorrow appointment? Another other suggestions to maybe bring up the wireless speed a bit, which I also stream vieos and music using psr media server and at times thw window media center. Mainly upgraded to see how the ps4 will test out at the higher speed since my brother in law has an xbox one running almost 45mbps wirlessly using the wirless ac router he put in and having 50mbs internet package.

Thanks for your input its grealty appreciated and having some knowledge working in the tech industry it helps. I racked my brain last night trying to configure multpile options even only running the ps4 wireless at the time.
Well speed tests on a hardwired pc run about 47mbps, I assumed the ps4 having wireless n and having the 45mbps uverse would bring up the wireless up to maybe 30mbps. On the other hand I was considering adding a wireless ac router to possibly bring up wireless speed but now I'm not so sure it may work at all. Should I even have the tech come out to check or cancel tomorrow appointment? Another other suggestions to maybe bring up the wireless speed a bit, which I also stream vieos and music using psr media server and at times thw window media center. Mainly upgraded to see how the ps4 will test out at the higher speed since my brother in law has an xbox one running almost 45mbps wirlessly using the wirless ac router he put in and having 50mbs internet package.

Thanks for your input its grealty appreciated and having some knowledge working in the tech industry it helps. I racked my brain last night trying to configure multpile options even only running the ps4 wireless at the time.

4 of 10 (969 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 11:35:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If your PC is getting 45+ Mbps, then there is nothing the tech is going to be able to do for you.

If your PC is getting 45+ Mbps, then there is nothing the tech is going to be able to do for you.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 10 (963 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 1:35:48 PM
(0)
Tutor
Its not the hard wired pc I was coerned about but the wireless running on a ps4. Just wondering if I would be able to pick up better speeds by adding a wirless AC router to the equation. I'm not expecting much but had the 25mbps plan and was pulling anywhere from 14-18 mbps already so I just assumed by having the 45mbps upgrade I would pull at least 30
Its not the hard wired pc I was coerned about but the wireless running on a ps4. Just wondering if I would be able to pick up better speeds by adding a wirless AC router to the equation. I'm not expecting much but had the 25mbps plan and was pulling anywhere from 14-18 mbps already so I just assumed by having the 45mbps upgrade I would pull at least 30

6 of 10 (953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 2:00:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I understand.  However, the AT&T techs can't make the RG provide wireless any better than it does.  They can give you a different RG, but it's probably just as good as the one you've got.  What AT&T techs do well is getting better signal down the line to the RG.  Since your PC is getting 45+ Mbps, there's nothing for them to really do there.

So, the issue really is

(a) what's making the wired PS3 report 22 Mbps

(b) what's making the wireless PS3 and the wireless PS4 report 17 Mbps.

It could be that the site that supports the PS3/PS4 speed test can only push out data at 22 Mbps.  I have no way of really knowing that.

You can acquire your own 802.11ac wireless router, but unless the PS4 support 802.11ac (which I'm pretty sure it doesn't), you won't get 802.11ac.  At best you'd get 802.11n.  I think it may be worthwhile to get a better 802.11n wireless router, but I don't know whether that'll fix your problems or not.

I understand.  However, the AT&T techs can't make the RG provide wireless any better than it does.  They can give you a different RG, but it's probably just as good as the one you've got.  What AT&T techs do well is getting better signal down the line to the RG.  Since your PC is getting 45+ Mbps, there's nothing for them to really do there.

So, the issue really is

(a) what's making the wired PS3 report 22 Mbps

(b) what's making the wireless PS3 and the wireless PS4 report 17 Mbps.

It could be that the site that supports the PS3/PS4 speed test can only push out data at 22 Mbps.  I have no way of really knowing that.

You can acquire your own 802.11ac wireless router, but unless the PS4 support 802.11ac (which I'm pretty sure it doesn't), you won't get 802.11ac.  At best you'd get 802.11n.  I think it may be worthwhile to get a better 802.11n wireless router, but I don't know whether that'll fix your problems or not.

7 of 10 (949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 6:33:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for your assistance, I did read some other posts and other options which in a sense its not the issue on my end but the server on the psn network. Im not really sure if the wireless ac would have helped but I would assume that it would have given a better signal but again i dont experience any lag or anything on it. For now I will just go with the setup I currently have since I do have a Linksys WAP4400n AP which I have just sitting around. 

Thanks for your assistance, I did read some other posts and other options which in a sense its not the issue on my end but the server on the psn network. Im not really sure if the wireless ac would have helped but I would assume that it would have given a better signal but again i dont experience any lag or anything on it. For now I will just go with the setup I currently have since I do have a Linksys WAP4400n AP which I have just sitting around. 

8 of 10 (933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 12:56:38 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hey @rperez335 

It's not very helpful, but to give you just a little support, I have 75 MBPS connection, but my PS3 gets under 20, and not just PS, I have an Xbox 360 and One and they both are much slower than any computers or tablets, with 360 at aroun 20 and One only reaching about 35 MBPS. I always assumed it had something to do with XBox Live and PSN getting in between.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hey @rperez335 

It's not very helpful, but to give you just a little support, I have 75 MBPS connection, but my PS3 gets under 20, and not just PS, I have an Xbox 360 and One and they both are much slower than any computers or tablets, with 360 at aroun 20 and One only reaching about 35 MBPS. I always assumed it had something to do with XBox Live and PSN getting in between.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 10 (886 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 1:04:41 PM
(0)
Tutor
Dmitry,

Any advixce always is appreciated, I ran my ps4 wired and I got about 25, but wirless it seems to run anywhere from 8-17mbps. I have done a lot of reading and testing over the last 2 days from initially upgrading my uverse from 25-45 and just came to accept I will not reach 45 mbps but hoped at least 30 wireless. I was even considering getting a dual band wireless ac router but the ps4 I believe is not a dual band. But any other tweaks which you may suggest will be helpful.
Dmitry,

Any advixce always is appreciated, I ran my ps4 wired and I got about 25, but wirless it seems to run anywhere from 8-17mbps. I have done a lot of reading and testing over the last 2 days from initially upgrading my uverse from 25-45 and just came to accept I will not reach 45 mbps but hoped at least 30 wireless. I was even considering getting a dual band wireless ac router but the ps4 I believe is not a dual band. But any other tweaks which you may suggest will be helpful.

10 of 10 (883 Views)