Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Nov 18, 2013
3:52:13 AM
View profile
Uverse Easy Remote iPhone & iPad

I saw this while researching an issue: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=23368.  Looks like the app is/can be controlled by voice activation.  Great news for elderly and disabled subscribers or really for just anyone that wants voice activated remote commands.

I have not tried it but wondering if this might solve the closed caption issue.  Say closed captions "on/off"?

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

I saw this while researching an issue: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=23368.  Looks like the app is/can be controlled by voice activation.  Great news for elderly and disabled subscribers or really for just anyone that wants voice activated remote commands.

I have not tried it but wondering if this might solve the closed caption issue.  Say closed captions "on/off"?

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Uverse Easy Remote iPhone & iPad

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2013 5:05:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Nov 18, 2013 at 9:58:45 AM

BeeBeeSA - Thanks for posting that info. Like so many things, the ad sounds better than the reality. For anything other than CC, the easy remote is a mess. See if you can figure out this post - http://forums.att.com/t5/Remote-Controls/U-verse-Easy-Remote-for-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch/m-p/3358987#...

I looked again at the link you posted & see that the credits to development teams are for speech recognition. So, if that aspect works, someday, it may be a great thing. In the meantime, lacking any attempt at usability, the manual portion has value only for the one button CC.

The easy remote also has a single CC toggle button.

Wasn't the placement of the CC on the ENTER button drop down menu an almost adequate resolution of the CC settiing problem on the regular remote??

BeeBeeSA - Thanks for posting that info. Like so many things, the ad sounds better than the reality. For anything other than CC, the easy remote is a mess. See if you can figure out this post - http://forums.att.com/t5/Remote-Controls/U-verse-Easy-Remote-for-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch/m-p/3358987#.UooNXWSAccw

I looked again at the link you posted & see that the credits to development teams are for speech recognition. So, if that aspect works, someday, it may be a great thing. In the meantime, lacking any attempt at usability, the manual portion has value only for the one button CC.

The easy remote also has a single CC toggle button.

Wasn't the placement of the CC on the ENTER button drop down menu an almost adequate resolution of the CC settiing problem on the regular remote??

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Uverse Easy Remote iPhone & iPad

[ Edited ]
2 of 6 (522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2013 5:59:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I heard that the app wasn't the best but I thought the addition of voice comands might make it usable, or more user friendly?

Have you been able to test the voice command portion?  I have an andriod tablet so I can't test it.

I heard that the app wasn't the best but I thought the addition of voice comands might make it usable, or more user friendly?

Have you been able to test the voice command portion?  I have an andriod tablet so I can't test it.

3 of 6 (508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2013 6:10:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Nov 18, 2013 at 9:59:36 AM

No, I never got that far. I will try it later & let you know. Your Android version has a CC button? Does that work for you?

Here is a bigger picture on this area. Maybe you would have more to suggest.

Functions

There are six functions that are desirable on a portable device such as a smart phone or tablet -

Remote control of the STB while viewing the TV

Managing Parental controls on the STB

Downloading/viewing live TV on the portable device

Downloading/viewing on-demand on the portable device

A guide (including favorites & managing recording directly from the guide) displayed on the portable device (not the TV)

Managing recordings on the STB

Applications

There are three ways to make these functions available -

stand alone apps (no example)

A combined app that has a separate heading/section accessible by task bar for each section. (e.g. U-verse for ipad/iphone, Buddy TV ) Consistent with uverse.com.

Present the app as one big remote with the functions selected by buttons(e.g. easy remote)

Summary

The second selection is the best choice for a combined app. Consistency across all variations & uverse.com is critical. Disadvantage is it must be upgraded to allow complex activities.

There is no reason not to offer a stand alone remote, so that the it can continue to support old IOS releases. Allowing people to use old equipment as a remote. The advantages of a remote app are - No IR problems, Support multiple & hidden STBs. The disadvantages are loss of tactile feel and expense of new devices. Therefore, it must be kept simple and understandable, with no forced upgrade.

The Easy Remote attempt to combine these activities as remote buttons is a failure on multiple levels because it is not clear what the button will affect. One cannot tell if a button affects the app or the TV (or does it make sense to affect both) At the very least, different colored buttons are required to distinguish the activity. The remote is spread over to many pages because it has too many functions. Destroying its value as a replacement for a physical remote. Must upgrade to allow complex activities.

No, I never got that far. I will try it later & let you know. Your Android version has a CC button? Does that work for you?

Here is a bigger picture on this area. Maybe you would have more to suggest.

Functions

There are six functions that are desirable on a portable device such as a smart phone or tablet -

Remote control of the STB while viewing the TV

Managing Parental controls on the STB

Downloading/viewing live TV on the portable device

Downloading/viewing on-demand on the portable device

A guide (including favorites & managing recording directly from the guide) displayed on the portable device (not the TV)

Managing recordings on the STB

Applications

There are three ways to make these functions available -

stand alone apps (no example)

A combined app that has a separate heading/section accessible by task bar for each section. (e.g. U-verse for ipad/iphone, Buddy TV ) Consistent with uverse.com.

Present the app as one big remote with the functions selected by buttons(e.g. easy remote)

Summary

The second selection is the best choice for a combined app. Consistency across all variations & uverse.com is critical. Disadvantage is it must be upgraded to allow complex activities.

There is no reason not to offer a stand alone remote, so that the it can continue to support old IOS releases. Allowing people to use old equipment as a remote. The advantages of a remote app are - No IR problems, Support multiple & hidden STBs. The disadvantages are loss of tactile feel and expense of new devices. Therefore, it must be kept simple and understandable, with no forced upgrade.

The Easy Remote attempt to combine these activities as remote buttons is a failure on multiple levels because it is not clear what the button will affect. One cannot tell if a button affects the app or the TV (or does it make sense to affect both) At the very least, different colored buttons are required to distinguish the activity. The remote is spread over to many pages because it has too many functions. Destroying its value as a replacement for a physical remote. Must upgrade to allow complex activities.

[ Edited ]
4 of 6 (504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2013 6:52:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
BB - Tried both the ipad & iphone version. (no way to tell which is which).

CC button works on both.

Could not get speech to work on either.

Help section on speech is no help. It is too general. It says some things work (&some do not). But, the list of what works is just words. It should be name of button and equivalent word to say.
BB - Tried both the ipad & iphone version. (no way to tell which is which).

CC button works on both.

Could not get speech to work on either.

Help section on speech is no help. It is too general. It says some things work (&some do not). But, the list of what works is just words. It should be name of button and equivalent word to say.

5 of 6 (497 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2013 10:40:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Sounds like it Smiley Surprisedneeds more testing!!

Sounds like it Smiley Surprisedneeds more testing!!

6 of 6 (471 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments