Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 3, 2013
7:10:05 PM
View profile
Uverse Audio dropping issue with HDMI
Edited by enniszd on Jul 3, 2013 at 7:10:32 PM

I just recieved a new AT&T box (my old one was from 2008) and it is connected to an LG LED TV, Yahama reciever all via HDMI. As before with old at&t box my HD channels that are not broadcasting 5.1 but 2 channel flap thier audio.  The SD channel works fine.  If i change the AT&T box to digital out put of stero it works fine but then I lose 5.1 on the channels that are broadcasting that format.  I am guessing from all my reading that AT&T is still have HDMI audio sync issues.  Any other thoughts or do I need to switch to composite cables and optical?

I just recieved a new AT&T box (my old one was from 2008) and it is connected to an LG LED TV, Yahama reciever all via HDMI. As before with old at&t box my HD channels that are not broadcasting 5.1 but 2 channel flap thier audio.  The SD channel works fine.  If i change the AT&T box to digital out put of stero it works fine but then I lose 5.1 on the channels that are broadcasting that format.  I am guessing from all my reading that AT&T is still have HDMI audio sync issues.  Any other thoughts or do I need to switch to composite cables and optical?

Uverse Audio dropping issue with HDMI

[ Edited ]
3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2013 6:45:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Jul 4, 2013 at 8:05:28 AM

enniszd - You are saying that you want to have 5.1 for HD go to the Yamaha & stereo to go to the TV & you want it to be automatic??

The solution to this is a feature of the TV that allows analog audio on the HDMI input.

Connect the red/white audio from the STB to the red/white that goes with the HDMI input on the TV.

If you have that feature on your TV set it probably defaults to automatic. In which case it should work automatically. But, mine does not. So, change the menu setting on the TV to analog. Then the TV input will pick up the stereo signal off the red/white jacks instead of the 5.1 signal off the HDMI even though the U-verse digital audio option is set to 5.1.

If your TV does not have this option, you will need to connect the video to the TV component to apply the analog audio input while setting the digital output to 5.1 to feed the Yamaha.

enniszd - You are saying that you want to have 5.1 for HD go to the Yamaha & stereo to go to the TV & you want it to be automatic??

The solution to this is a feature of the TV that allows analog audio on the HDMI input.

Connect the red/white audio from the STB to the red/white that goes with the HDMI input on the TV.

If you have that feature on your TV set it probably defaults to automatic. In which case it should work automatically. But, mine does not. So, change the menu setting on the TV to analog. Then the TV input will pick up the stereo signal off the red/white jacks instead of the 5.1 signal off the HDMI even though the U-verse digital audio option is set to 5.1.

If your TV does not have this option, you will need to connect the video to the TV component to apply the analog audio input while setting the digital output to 5.1 to feed the Yamaha.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Uverse Audio dropping issue with HDMI

[ Edited ]
2 of 4 (825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2013 8:03:16 AM
(0)
Voyager

Sorry no.

I have HDMI from my Uverse box to my Yamaha and then an optical from the uverse to my Yamaha.  When I watch some HD channels that are only sending 2 channel stero the audio will flap.  Why cann't AT&T work with a reciever and not drop the audio?

Sorry no.

I have HDMI from my Uverse box to my Yamaha and then an optical from the uverse to my Yamaha.  When I watch some HD channels that are only sending 2 channel stero the audio will flap.  Why cann't AT&T work with a reciever and not drop the audio?

3 of 4 (784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2013 9:10:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on Jul 7, 2013 at 9:11:28 PM

enniszd wrote:

Sorry no.

HDMI should only go directly to the TV and optical to the Yahama, if you have HDMI and optical going to the Yamaha, it may be confusing it w/2 different audio sources. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

enniszd wrote:

Sorry no.

HDMI should only go directly to the TV and optical to the Yahama, if you have HDMI and optical going to the Yamaha, it may be confusing it w/2 different audio sources. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 4 (749 Views)