Using a switch with RG and a 2nd router configured as a AP

Highlighted
Contributor

Using a switch with RG and a 2nd router configured as a AP

Quick question regarding the placement of my ethernet switch. My equipment is a 2wire RG, a Cisco wireless router configured as an Access Point and an Ethernet switch. Does it make a difference which device feeds the switch, either the RG or the Cisco router. I have tried it both ways and everything works fine but was wondering which way is the preferred method.

Message 1 of 2 (205 Views)

Re: Using a switch with RG and a 2nd router configured as a AP

gerryger wrote:

Quick question regarding the placement of my ethernet switch. My equipment is a 2wire RG, a Cisco wireless router configured as an Access Point and an Ethernet switch. Does it make a difference which device feeds the switch, either the RG or the Cisco router. I have tried it both ways and everything works fine but was wondering which way is the preferred method.

It would depend on your switch and/or Cisco router. Does your Cisco router have gigabit ports? How about the switch?

Your 2WIRE gateway more than likely only has 100Mb ports. If your switch and router have gigabit ports you should connect the switch to the Cisco router and connect every thing to those devices for the best local network speed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 2 of 2 (173 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.