Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 13, 2014
5:12:43 PM
View profile
Using a 2nd router for N wifi for better signal and speeds

I bought a Linksys router which I setup with my RG.  I've got it setup with the Wifi on the new router, wifi on the old one turned off, and DHCP on the new router.  It works, but I do have trouble with a wifi printer losing it's connection.  It seems like it works, but not perfectly.  Powerline devices have trouble seeing wifi, etc...

I just came across a post that mentioned the "router behind a router" notifications setting.  Looking for advice on the best way to setup my system to provide the faster and better coverage wifi, while still allowing devices to all see each other.

Thanks.

I bought a Linksys router which I setup with my RG.  I've got it setup with the Wifi on the new router, wifi on the old one turned off, and DHCP on the new router.  It works, but I do have trouble with a wifi printer losing it's connection.  It seems like it works, but not perfectly.  Powerline devices have trouble seeing wifi, etc...

I just came across a post that mentioned the "router behind a router" notifications setting.  Looking for advice on the best way to setup my system to provide the faster and better coverage wifi, while still allowing devices to all see each other.

Thanks.

Using a 2nd router for N wifi for better signal and speeds

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2014 6:10:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I suggest that —if all you're looking for is better wireless coverage—you connect your wireless router as an access point.  That puts all your devices in one big happy LAN.  See  post 13 in this thread for rough instructions.

I suggest that —if all you're looking for is better wireless coverage—you connect your wireless router as an access point.  That puts all your devices in one big happy LAN.  See  post 13 in this thread for rough instructions.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Using a 2nd router for N wifi for better signal and speeds

2 of 3 (180 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2014 7:10:51 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks. With a little more searching online I found that simply setting the Linsys to Bridge Mode (which for some reason I couldn't find the first time I set this all up), plus your directions should work.

Just have to find time when nobody cares that they are bumped off!  Then just change the settings, switch the cables, and hopefully I'll be good to go.

Thanks. With a little more searching online I found that simply setting the Linsys to Bridge Mode (which for some reason I couldn't find the first time I set this all up), plus your directions should work.

Just have to find time when nobody cares that they are bumped off!  Then just change the settings, switch the cables, and hopefully I'll be good to go.

Re: Using a 2nd router for N wifi for better signal and speeds

3 of 3 (170 Views)