Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 1, 2011
8:49:22 AM
View profile
Using Netgear wireless N router on ATT uverse Network.

Hi,

I have ordered recenty ATT uverse TV and internet package. I am new customer for uverse and heard lot about this service. Now I have found that the residential gateway ATT uses is a 3800-hgv, which is only transmit wireless G band. I already have an netgear N router , just wanted to know is that possible to use Netgear N router concurrently with ATT G router. I have wireless G as well as wireless N enabled system in my house with some wireless printer . Please advice me so that I can configure in time of installation.

Hi,

I have ordered recenty ATT uverse TV and internet package. I am new customer for uverse and heard lot about this service. Now I have found that the residential gateway ATT uses is a 3800-hgv, which is only transmit wireless G band. I already have an netgear N router , just wanted to know is that possible to use Netgear N router concurrently with ATT G router. I have wireless G as well as wireless N enabled system in my house with some wireless printer . Please advice me so that I can configure in time of installation.

Using Netgear wireless N router on ATT uverse Network.

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2011 9:24:09 AM
(0)
Expert

Yes, you can either set up your N wireless unit as an access point only, or set it up as a router-behind-router configuration.

In either case, turn the wireless G in the AT&T router off.

Yes, you can either set up your N wireless unit as an access point only, or set it up as a router-behind-router configuration.

In either case, turn the wireless G in the AT&T router off.

Re: Using Netgear wireless N router on ATT uverse Network.

2 of 6 (12,145 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2012 2:16:09 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have a question related to this.  I have ordered uverse and have set up with my current cable provider a netgear dual band router and a netgear dual band router on the other side of my house as a repeater.  Because I have signal strength issues I really do not want to lose this setup as I finally have wireless throughout the house.  As I understand it the uverse cable modem is combined with a router (is that what they mean by 2 wire?) and it is possible to simply turn off the router portion and just plug in my netgear router?  If this is true what needs to be done to turn off the uverse router? Thanks in advance for anyone's help

I have a question related to this.  I have ordered uverse and have set up with my current cable provider a netgear dual band router and a netgear dual band router on the other side of my house as a repeater.  Because I have signal strength issues I really do not want to lose this setup as I finally have wireless throughout the house.  As I understand it the uverse cable modem is combined with a router (is that what they mean by 2 wire?) and it is possible to simply turn off the router portion and just plug in my netgear router?  If this is true what needs to be done to turn off the uverse router? Thanks in advance for anyone's help

3 of 6 (8,763 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2012 4:35:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Sounds like you want to see post 2 in this thread. I see no reason why you can't go on the way you are.

Sounds like you want to see post 2 in this thread. I see no reason why you can't go on the way you are.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 6 (8,710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 10:07:10 AM
(0)
Contributor

So, when you disconnect the AT&T wireless G, does this no affect the AT&T service?

How does one set up a 'router behind a router?

Thank You!!!

So, when you disconnect the AT&T wireless G, does this no affect the AT&T service?

How does one set up a 'router behind a router?

Thank You!!!

5 of 6 (4,076 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 12:24:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Disabling the Wireless G function in the RG will not have any consequences on the AT&T service other than you can't directly access the Internet using 802.11g once you do that.

If you set up as Router behind router (setup as described in post 2 in this thread as mentioned above), then it may affect such things as being able to use U-verse Connected software on iOS and Android devices to control your U-verse receivers.  Also, you do not want to run the traffic to your TV receivers through your router, they should continue to connect directly back to the RG.

Disabling the Wireless G function in the RG will not have any consequences on the AT&T service other than you can't directly access the Internet using 802.11g once you do that.

If you set up as Router behind router (setup as described in post 2 in this thread as mentioned above), then it may affect such things as being able to use U-verse Connected software on iOS and Android devices to control your U-verse receivers.  Also, you do not want to run the traffic to your TV receivers through your router, they should continue to connect directly back to the RG.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 6 (4,068 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments