Use Cisco ISB7005 Wireless Receiver wired?

Tutor

Use Cisco ISB7005 Wireless Receiver wired?

[ Edited ]

I have a Cisco ISB7005 wireless receiver on order but I am skeptical of the quality and connection through wireless.  I intend to use it with a slingbox to access while I am overseas and so need the best connection possible (upload rate).  This was the easiest option for installation purposes.  It will be literally a foot from the wireless access point but still, hard wired is so much better.  Is it possible to use this device wired too?  If so, how?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 9 (9,654 Views)

Re: Use Cisco ISB7005 Wireless Receiver wired?


mojoe316 wrote:

I have a Cisco ISB7005 wireless receiver on order but I am skeptical of the quality and connection through wireless.  I intend to use it with a slingbox to access while I am overseas and so need the best connection possible (upload rate).  This was the easiest option for installation purposes.  It will be literally a foot from the wireless access point but still, hard wired is so much better.  Is it possible to use this device wired too?  If so, how?  Thanks.


 

Why did you order a wireless model?

 

I believe the unit has an ethernet port, as to it's functionality, I don't know.

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

                              

Message 2 of 9 (9,637 Views)
Tutor

Re: Use Cisco ISB7005 Wireless Receiver wired?

Seems silly right?  I didn't order it technically, my father did, he doesn't quite understand...  I think it is actually more complicated too.  For a standard STB you have to have a technician come out to install which costs more money and I think some wiring would have to be run and a splitter as there is already one DVR in the room.  I'm not sure how that would affect the functionaility?  Bottom line was it was just easier.  So instead of returning and getting a new one and having a technician come out I wanted to find out if I could use the box as is, but wired.

 

I saw the ethernet port.  I'm wondering if that can be used to "hard line" this receiver?

 

Can I simply connect this receiver to the residential gateway via ethernet cable?

Message 3 of 9 (9,614 Views)

Re: Use Cisco ISB7005 Wireless Receiver wired?

I say try it.

Either it works, or it doesn't.

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

                              

Message 4 of 9 (9,607 Views)
Tutor

Re: Use Cisco ISB7005 Wireless Receiver wired?

I can confirm wired does work with the ISB7005.  I received mine today and have not plugged in the wireless access point at all and it works wonderfully!

 

Also, this appears to have resolved an issue I was having with 5.1 audio with the old silver receiver.  Every few minutes the audio would drop out for a second or so.  I have been watching for about an hour and it hasn't happened yet, so I hopefully I am good.

 

I am using a Pioneer VSX-1120-K 7.1 receiver and had a problem over HDMI with Surround Sound selected (5.1) and viewing a DVR recording with 5.1 audio.

Message 5 of 9 (9,291 Views)
Contributor

Re: Use Cisco ISB7005 Wireless Receiver wired?

I can also confirm it works!

I had it installed as wireless, but was having connection issues so I changed it over to wireless.

AT&T Wireless Receiver: Cisco ISB7005, NOTE: Works at wired receiver also, just connect CAT5 cable to gateway and turn off access point and reset receiver so it searchs for another connection!!

 

Message 6 of 9 (7,739 Views)
Professor

Re: Use Cisco ISB7005 Wireless Receiver wired?


Computer-Joe wrote:

mojoe316 wrote:

I have a Cisco ISB7005 wireless receiver on order but I am skeptical of the quality and connection through wireless.  I intend to use it with a slingbox to access while I am overseas and so need the best connection possible (upload rate).  This was the easiest option for installation purposes.  It will be literally a foot from the wireless access point but still, hard wired is so much better.  Is it possible to use this device wired too?  If so, how?  Thanks.


 

Why did you order a wireless model?

 

I believe the unit has an ethernet port, as to it's functionality, I don't know.

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell


The LAN port is active.  I have two of the wireless STB's, wired, because the WAP was only for one, 100meg connection, and two, already had the wires ran, and did not need the WAP.

 

Sent it back, with the older three year old Cisco STB's, the remotes for them, the remote for our DVR, since we have a Logitech Harmony 300 for the front room.  Before I sent everything back, doubled checked with Customer Service, and they said no problem with sending the WAP back, since I was not going to use it, and all it was going to do, was sit in the box by our network gear.

 

No need to have something laying around, that could get tossed or lost.

________________________________________________________________

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"
________________________________________________________________
Message 7 of 9 (7,706 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Re: Use Cisco ISB7005 Wireless Receiver wired?


loaf wrote:

I can confirm wired does work with the ISB7005.  I received mine today and have not plugged in the wireless access point at all and it works wonderfully!

 

Also, this appears to have resolved an issue I was having with 5.1 audio with the old silver receiver.  Every few minutes the audio would drop out for a second or so.  I have been watching for about an hour and it hasn't happened yet, so I hopefully I am good.

 

I am using a Pioneer VSX-1120-K 7.1 receiver and had a problem over HDMI with Surround Sound selected (5.1) and viewing a DVR recording with 5.1 audio.


Loaf, if you are not going to use the WAP, take it to the local UPS Store, and have them send it back to ATT, like I did with ours.  Let Customer Service know first that you are sending just the WAP back, and they will also tell you to place a note with it, why you are sending it back, due to not using, because you have the boxes wired to Ethernet, but keeping the STB's.

________________________________________________________________

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"
________________________________________________________________
Message 8 of 9 (7,705 Views)

Re: Use Cisco ISB7005 Wireless Receiver wired?

Dude, those Ethernet ports are the best! It is the best way to jumper (patch cables) with Category 6 to bypass the password if you get locked out! Also jumper (patch cable) to another device like LG 3D w/ apps or Sony 3D w/ apps if you want 2 disimilar devices to joined by hardwired instead of wireless!

Message 9 of 9 (5,125 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.