Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 14, 2012
1:16:22 AM
View profile
Upload speed
Does anyone know why the uverse max turbo upload speed is limited to 3mbit when the remote gateway syncs at 5mbit? Is there a technical explanation or does AT&T just not want to allow us to use the extra bandwidth? Does the IPTV require 2mbit upstream for something?
Does anyone know why the uverse max turbo upload speed is limited to 3mbit when the remote gateway syncs at 5mbit? Is there a technical explanation or does AT&T just not want to allow us to use the extra bandwidth? Does the IPTV require 2mbit upstream for something?

Upload speed

11 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(11)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2012 5:01:02 AM
(0)
Master

ERIC8585 wrote:

Everything that is downloaded requires a certain amount of upload bandwidth for error correction. For example, downloaing a 1 GB file could use 100 MB of upload bandwidth for error correction (example only, I do not know the exact ratio). Depending on your connection quality and/or number of hops to the source, that ratio could be higher or lower. IPTV is just a different kind of file downloading, so yes, it does require a certain amoount of upload bandwidth. If you have VOIP as well, there may be a certain amount reserved for that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

ERIC8585 wrote:

Everything that is downloaded requires a certain amount of upload bandwidth for error correction. For example, downloaing a 1 GB file could use 100 MB of upload bandwidth for error correction (example only, I do not know the exact ratio). Depending on your connection quality and/or number of hops to the source, that ratio could be higher or lower. IPTV is just a different kind of file downloading, so yes, it does require a certain amoount of upload bandwidth. If you have VOIP as well, there may be a certain amount reserved for that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Re: Upload speed

2 of 12 (17,369 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2012 9:53:29 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by jimgfitzgerald on Jan 14, 2012 at 9:54:25 AM

I have 18 mbps down and 1.5 mbps up.  It works fine with my Slingbox Solo.  I find the U-Verse internet speeds to be OK, but slower than when I had Charter.  At least U-Verse is reliable.  I have not had a lost signal in 6 1/2 months.  Charter went out daily.

I have 18 mbps down and 1.5 mbps up.  It works fine with my Slingbox Solo.  I find the U-Verse internet speeds to be OK, but slower than when I had Charter.  At least U-Verse is reliable.  I have not had a lost signal in 6 1/2 months.  Charter went out daily.

[ Edited ]
3 of 12 (17,349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2012 10:28:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

jimgfitzgerald wrote:

I had the same experience with Time Warner Cable internet.  I had periodic outages.  One week I had outages 5 days in a row for several hours!  

I have had U-verse internet for almost 3 years, and it has been amazingly reliable.  The only internet outage that I have had was when I lost all services for a day when my RG got fried during a thunderstorm.  I don't recall any internet outages when the RG was up and running.  Not something I could say about Time Warner.

jimgfitzgerald wrote:

I had the same experience with Time Warner Cable internet.  I had periodic outages.  One week I had outages 5 days in a row for several hours!  

I have had U-verse internet for almost 3 years, and it has been amazingly reliable.  The only internet outage that I have had was when I lost all services for a day when my RG got fried during a thunderstorm.  I don't recall any internet outages when the RG was up and running.  Not something I could say about Time Warner.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 12 (17,345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2012 11:28:44 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by ERIC8585 on Jan 14, 2012 at 11:34:35 AM
I have the max turbo 24/3 connection and it has been very reliable as well. The only time I recall it being down was last year one night when it appeared everyone in the SF bay area was affected. I am pleased with the download speed but could use a faster upload and it seems like AT&T has the capacity to do so. They would also be more competetive with Comcast in my area which offers 25/6 for a comparable price. I didn't have a problem with Comcast internet, but I hated their STB software and functionality of their "Anyroom" DVR.
I have the max turbo 24/3 connection and it has been very reliable as well. The only time I recall it being down was last year one night when it appeared everyone in the SF bay area was affected. I am pleased with the download speed but could use a faster upload and it seems like AT&T has the capacity to do so. They would also be more competetive with Comcast in my area which offers 25/6 for a comparable price. I didn't have a problem with Comcast internet, but I hated their STB software and functionality of their "Anyroom" DVR.

[ Edited ]
5 of 12 (17,338 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2012 1:49:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on Jan 14, 2012 at 1:50:47 PM

ERIC8585 wrote:

You need overhead in any connection, you can't just run it at the max.  If you had 4.5M upload, you'd be getting errors all day and it would be useless.  This is the way asynchronous DSL always works, if you want a higher upload, a synchronous DSL internet plan would be needed (only way to get it w/ATT). Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ERIC8585 wrote:

You need overhead in any connection, you can't just run it at the max.  If you had 4.5M upload, you'd be getting errors all day and it would be useless.  This is the way asynchronous DSL always works, if you want a higher upload, a synchronous DSL internet plan would be needed (only way to get it w/ATT). Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
6 of 12 (17,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2012 12:27:14 PM
(0)
Scholar
The 32Mbps downlink speed can be maxed out so why not the uplink? I believe there is built in overhead before the final 32/5 link speed is established. Anyway, I switched to the Comcast 50/15 tier. I'm much more happy with the upload speed.
The 32Mbps downlink speed can be maxed out so why not the uplink? I believe there is built in overhead before the final 32/5 link speed is established. Anyway, I switched to the Comcast 50/15 tier. I'm much more happy with the upload speed.

7 of 12 (16,914 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2012 1:17:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

Exactly.  As long as it is reliable.  I am bone weary tired of the run around Time Warner gives me when my broadband goes down; and it typically goes down at least a couple of times DAILY for a few minutes.  This is inexcusable in today's day and age when it comes to technology.

I will be interested to see what www.speedtest.net gives for results after I make the switch

Exactly.  As long as it is reliable.  I am bone weary tired of the run around Time Warner gives me when my broadband goes down; and it typically goes down at least a couple of times DAILY for a few minutes.  This is inexcusable in today's day and age when it comes to technology.

I will be interested to see what www.speedtest.net gives for results after I make the switch

8 of 12 (14,468 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2012 1:32:08 PM
(0)
Scholar
You will be disappointed with Uverse speed compared to cable.
You will be disappointed with Uverse speed compared to cable.

9 of 12 (14,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 12:46:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have to say I disagree. AT&T U-Verse has never giving me anyhting other than a quick, steady, reliable connection whenever I needed it. Cable on the other hand, I can not say the same is true. I LOVE DSL as compared to cable connections.

I have to say I disagree. AT&T U-Verse has never giving me anyhting other than a quick, steady, reliable connection whenever I needed it. Cable on the other hand, I can not say the same is true. I LOVE DSL as compared to cable connections.

10 of 12 (5,179 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 1:18:00 PM
(0)
Mentor

I dont know to agree or disagree with ATT uverse being reliable.... I am with ATT uverse for over a year now, and its been just giving me headaches with connection problems. The only thing I like about ATT is when there iss a problem they send out technicians fast and will try to fix the issue asap. But in my case... Ive had over 50 prem/outside/linemen techs total in say maybe a 7month period and my problem hasnt been totally fix. I am just happy that ATT is willing to work with you to get things right. Like today I called retention because I ordered the 18Mbps Max plus plan back in June when I said I will cancel because theres been connection problems all year long and I dont like the price increase after my contract and was given a price of 41+tax; so I kepted the service. I called again early July because again my internet was on and off, technically not useable for a online gamer to see what they could do for me. The "sales" guy in which I could barely understand didnt understand that Im not asking to have my 18Mbps start early but he made it so It will start early anyways and he completely changed my pricing to 56$/mo (Only thing I really hate about ATT is ending up with a non-native english speaker over the phone, I'm sorry but I have problems hearing over the phone and it just makes it worse). So after talking to retention, they dropped my price down to 41$ and for my trouble I am will be getting a new Max plus yr contract fo 28$/mo. a 50% discount.

I dont know to agree or disagree with ATT uverse being reliable.... I am with ATT uverse for over a year now, and its been just giving me headaches with connection problems. The only thing I like about ATT is when there iss a problem they send out technicians fast and will try to fix the issue asap. But in my case... Ive had over 50 prem/outside/linemen techs total in say maybe a 7month period and my problem hasnt been totally fix. I am just happy that ATT is willing to work with you to get things right. Like today I called retention because I ordered the 18Mbps Max plus plan back in June when I said I will cancel because theres been connection problems all year long and I dont like the price increase after my contract and was given a price of 41+tax; so I kepted the service. I called again early July because again my internet was on and off, technically not useable for a online gamer to see what they could do for me. The "sales" guy in which I could barely understand didnt understand that Im not asking to have my 18Mbps start early but he made it so It will start early anyways and he completely changed my pricing to 56$/mo (Only thing I really hate about ATT is ending up with a non-native english speaker over the phone, I'm sorry but I have problems hearing over the phone and it just makes it worse). So after talking to retention, they dropped my price down to 41$ and for my trouble I am will be getting a new Max plus yr contract fo 28$/mo. a 50% discount.

11 of 12 (5,173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 1:21:24 PM
(0)
Contributor
Wow, I am sorry to hear that you are having these issues. The biggest and single most important reason I have kept U-Verse internet is due tot he fact that in three years my service was out one time. No joke. Cable in my area, out DAILY! I certainly hope they can resolve you issue.
Wow, I am sorry to hear that you are having these issues. The biggest and single most important reason I have kept U-Verse internet is due tot he fact that in three years my service was out one time. No joke. Cable in my area, out DAILY! I certainly hope they can resolve you issue.

12 of 12 (5,169 Views)