Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 3, 2014
9:33:09 AM
Upgrading to 45Mbps questions
Edited by justaguy0729 on Jun 3, 2014 at 9:47:15 AM

Hi and thanks for taking the time to read (and hopefully answer) my questions.   I upgraded my service from the Turbo Mac (12 Mbps) to the Power Whatever (45 Mbps).  I signed up on Saturday and was told that I would receive new hardware in the mail on Tuesday June 3 and that I would return my old hardware.

I am an electrical guy (power distribution) but am lost on the communication side and what needs to be done to make this setup work.    Basically I understand that I will be running on a "bonded" pair in order to get the 45Mbps speed.   I have run speed tests in the past and always got right around the advertised (right in the 12 Mbps range).

This morning I was watching a youtube video on my laptop and the HD version loaded really fast so I ran a speed test and am not at a little over 24Mbps download and almost 2 Mbps upload.    I do not have a new modem (that - I think - is the hardware that is shipping and should be there when I arrive home today).   I now am guessing that I already had a bonded pair that allows me to get the 24 Mbps with the profile change and that when I change the modem It will be complete. 

Am I correct? or can I get 24 MBps on the upgraded profile and I will need to wait until a service tech does "something" to get the bonded pair to me inside the house?

Hi and thanks for taking the time to read (and hopefully answer) my questions.   I upgraded my service from the Turbo Mac (12 Mbps) to the Power Whatever (45 Mbps).  I signed up on Saturday and was told that I would receive new hardware in the mail on Tuesday June 3 and that I would return my old hardware.

I am an electrical guy (power distribution) but am lost on the communication side and what needs to be done to make this setup work.    Basically I understand that I will be running on a "bonded" pair in order to get the 45Mbps speed.   I have run speed tests in the past and always got right around the advertised (right in the 12 Mbps range).

This morning I was watching a youtube video on my laptop and the HD version loaded really fast so I ran a speed test and am not at a little over 24Mbps download and almost 2 Mbps upload.    I do not have a new modem (that - I think - is the hardware that is shipping and should be there when I arrive home today).   I now am guessing that I already had a bonded pair that allows me to get the 24 Mbps with the profile change and that when I change the modem It will be complete. 

Am I correct? or can I get 24 MBps on the upgraded profile and I will need to wait until a service tech does "something" to get the bonded pair to me inside the house?

Upgrading to 45Mbps questions

[ Edited ]
11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2014 10:21:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I have never heard of them shipping equipment to a Power Tier upgrade, since the tech needs to come and ensure that you have a Cat 5e homerun from the NID to the RG, as well as connect a second pair up at the VRAD and bring it to your NID.  He might as well bring the NVG 589 along with him on that trip.

In fact, upgrades to Max Turbo (24 Mbps) require a tech visit to ensure that the connection from the NID to the RG (and from the VRAD to the NID) is of sufficient quality to support the profile needed for 24 Mbps.

Something seems wrong here.

I have never heard of them shipping equipment to a Power Tier upgrade, since the tech needs to come and ensure that you have a Cat 5e homerun from the NID to the RG, as well as connect a second pair up at the VRAD and bring it to your NID.  He might as well bring the NVG 589 along with him on that trip.

In fact, upgrades to Max Turbo (24 Mbps) require a tech visit to ensure that the connection from the NID to the RG (and from the VRAD to the NID) is of sufficient quality to support the profile needed for 24 Mbps.

Something seems wrong here.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Upgrading to 45Mbps questions

2 of 12 (1,161 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2014 11:32:41 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the reply Jeffer.   I was quite sruprised when the lady on the phone said she would send the new "hardware"  and that I would install and return the "existing". I assumed this to be the modem.  

I must admit I had to look up the terms.  So, now I see that the NID is the network interface (where the line enters the home).  That is in the garage just inside the box where the phone line comes in.  I have been referring to that as the "modem".   NVG 589 is like the "router"?   Still not sure what the VRAD is.

When I had the Uverse installed a little over a year ago, they had to run new cable from the house out to the "junction box)" by the street (a little round box where the telephone wires connect) hidden in the shrubs.  This after two visits to try to get the TV singal and the internet to work correctly.  

It "seemed" faster this so I did the speed test and was surprised to see the 24/2.    Will see what the delivery man dropped at teh house today and update later tonight

Thanks for the reply Jeffer.   I was quite sruprised when the lady on the phone said she would send the new "hardware"  and that I would install and return the "existing". I assumed this to be the modem.  

I must admit I had to look up the terms.  So, now I see that the NID is the network interface (where the line enters the home).  That is in the garage just inside the box where the phone line comes in.  I have been referring to that as the "modem".   NVG 589 is like the "router"?   Still not sure what the VRAD is.

When I had the Uverse installed a little over a year ago, they had to run new cable from the house out to the "junction box)" by the street (a little round box where the telephone wires connect) hidden in the shrubs.  This after two visits to try to get the TV singal and the internet to work correctly.  

It "seemed" faster this so I did the speed test and was surprised to see the 24/2.    Will see what the delivery man dropped at teh house today and update later tonight

3 of 12 (1,150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2014 12:09:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

RG is Residential Gateway, AT&T's term for the combination of modem/router.  The NVG 589 is a specific Motorola model number of the specific RG required for the Power tier.  You may have received one a year ago, but it is likely that you received a 2WIRE/PACE model instead.

VRAD is a Video Ready Access Device.  It is the Node (N) in Fiber To The Node (FTTN), network distribution technology used for most U-verse customers.

But I realize I have made an a couple of assumptions that may be invalid:

1. That you are a FTTN customer, and not FTTP
  2. That you are a single-pair FTTN customer.

RG is Residential Gateway, AT&T's term for the combination of modem/router.  The NVG 589 is a specific Motorola model number of the specific RG required for the Power tier.  You may have received one a year ago, but it is likely that you received a 2WIRE/PACE model instead.

VRAD is a Video Ready Access Device.  It is the Node (N) in Fiber To The Node (FTTN), network distribution technology used for most U-verse customers.

But I realize I have made an a couple of assumptions that may be invalid:

1. That you are a FTTN customer, and not FTTP
  2. That you are a single-pair FTTN customer.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 12 (1,148 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2014 7:51:38 AM
(0)
Tutor

Update #1.  Yesterday I arrived home and found that UPS had dropped off a new NVG589 modem along with some detailed (I kid) instructions on how to install it.  It basically said - Unplug old modem, plug in new one, wait 15 minutes.

I followed the instructions but never got a service light.  The two broadband lights were flashing red the entire time.   I followed the detailed instructions on what to do it there were problems (hold the reset button for 10 seconds and wait 10 more minutes) but still no luck.

So, I called the number as instructed and after going through the automated help (reboot your computer, reset the modem, press #0) I spoke with a tech who asked me to reset the incoming device (where the line comes into the house).  I lost the phone, and the TV, and the modem rebooted but still no luck.  That was the extent of the technicians advice.  By the way, he apologized for being the bearer of bad news but said that it was possible that I could not get 45Mbps based on distance from ????(he said something)???.    From other reading, that is entirely possible but would have thought that I would have service just maybe not the full speed.

Now I have a tech appointment today and from others comments should have had one scheduled all along.

I guess the good news is that TV and phone did come back after the reset.   I reconnected the old modem and was back in business for the night.   Again, speed tests show 24Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload.  I will update again after todays tech visit.  Thanks 

Update #1.  Yesterday I arrived home and found that UPS had dropped off a new NVG589 modem along with some detailed (I kid) instructions on how to install it.  It basically said - Unplug old modem, plug in new one, wait 15 minutes.

I followed the instructions but never got a service light.  The two broadband lights were flashing red the entire time.   I followed the detailed instructions on what to do it there were problems (hold the reset button for 10 seconds and wait 10 more minutes) but still no luck.

So, I called the number as instructed and after going through the automated help (reboot your computer, reset the modem, press #0) I spoke with a tech who asked me to reset the incoming device (where the line comes into the house).  I lost the phone, and the TV, and the modem rebooted but still no luck.  That was the extent of the technicians advice.  By the way, he apologized for being the bearer of bad news but said that it was possible that I could not get 45Mbps based on distance from ????(he said something)???.    From other reading, that is entirely possible but would have thought that I would have service just maybe not the full speed.

Now I have a tech appointment today and from others comments should have had one scheduled all along.

I guess the good news is that TV and phone did come back after the reset.   I reconnected the old modem and was back in business for the night.   Again, speed tests show 24Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload.  I will update again after todays tech visit.  Thanks 

5 of 12 (1,059 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2014 10:17:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I have the feeling that what you have is an i3812 outside with an 38HG inside.

This means that you were originally set up as a dual-pair customer because you weren't close enough to the VRAD to get good service without using two pair.  You can't just replace the 38HG with the NVG589; the NVG 589 performs the functions of both the i3812 and the 38HG.  Your iNID (i3812) needs to be removed, an NID installed, a cat5e home run from the NID to where your 38HG is and only then could you hook up the NVG 589.  

And after you did all that, you probably won't have good enough signal to have Power.  Hopefully you'll get a good tech out there who can see the situation for himself and explain your options.

I have the feeling that what you have is an i3812 outside with an 38HG inside.

This means that you were originally set up as a dual-pair customer because you weren't close enough to the VRAD to get good service without using two pair.  You can't just replace the 38HG with the NVG589; the NVG 589 performs the functions of both the i3812 and the 38HG.  Your iNID (i3812) needs to be removed, an NID installed, a cat5e home run from the NID to where your 38HG is and only then could you hook up the NVG 589.  

And after you did all that, you probably won't have good enough signal to have Power.  Hopefully you'll get a good tech out there who can see the situation for himself and explain your options.

6 of 12 (1,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2014 11:14:09 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. The inside modem is a 38HG (at least the picture looks right).  Inside the garage I have what appears to be just a power supply, and outside the garage where the line comes in is ??? I suppose that is the i3812 so you are right on those accounts.

I HOPE you are wrong on the last one Smiley Happy

I think I have a "drop" at the end of my driveway but suspect the big box at the end of the street is the VRAD.   If cables run in a straight line my "drop" is about 2500' with another 150' from the drop to the house.   I may be out of luck

Thanks for the reply. The inside modem is a 38HG (at least the picture looks right).  Inside the garage I have what appears to be just a power supply, and outside the garage where the line comes in is ??? I suppose that is the i3812 so you are right on those accounts.

I HOPE you are wrong on the last one Smiley Happy

I think I have a "drop" at the end of my driveway but suspect the big box at the end of the street is the VRAD.   If cables run in a straight line my "drop" is about 2500' with another 150' from the drop to the house.   I may be out of luck

7 of 12 (1,042 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2014 5:05:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru
Edited by browndk26 on Jun 5, 2014 at 5:27:46 PM

Here are photos of the two boxes on my house. The larger box (the one on the right) is the inid.

Here are photos of the two boxes on my house. The larger box (the one on the right) is the inid.

[ Edited ]
8 of 12 (1,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2014 11:45:33 PM
(0)
Employee
Yes tech visit required to remove old and install new...
depending on distance... max sync down... max sync up... SN margin may not qualify for the 45M internet needing 55M profile or at least 80M as max down 7 to 8M as max up.

I have seen some inids installed at shorter distances that would qualify but most were 2800 feet to 6000 feet and would not support the lines properly.

Future release of 17a and vectoring will improve chances of faster speeds.
Yes tech visit required to remove old and install new...
depending on distance... max sync down... max sync up... SN margin may not qualify for the 45M internet needing 55M profile or at least 80M as max down 7 to 8M as max up.

I have seen some inids installed at shorter distances that would qualify but most were 2800 feet to 6000 feet and would not support the lines properly.

Future release of 17a and vectoring will improve chances of faster speeds.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 12 (964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2014 11:53:50 PM
(0)
Employee
As a quick followup ....
the 589 55/6 profile was designed for those who qualified for the single pair 32M profile at less than 2200 feet had minimum 40M sync rate seen some down around 38.

As both the 589 and 3812 inid are bonded do not need to change RG. The inid will support 55M profile as will the i38hg indoor unit. Just will have a b/g 2.4 ghz wireless instead of bgn 2.4ghz wireless.

in other words if the changes have been made at office from 25M bonded to 55M bonded and not seeing results likehood of upgrade to 589 resolving issue is slim.
I have even had to downgrade 55M bonded back to 25M as not enough headroom to support stable service.
As a quick followup ....
the 589 55/6 profile was designed for those who qualified for the single pair 32M profile at less than 2200 feet had minimum 40M sync rate seen some down around 38.

As both the 589 and 3812 inid are bonded do not need to change RG. The inid will support 55M profile as will the i38hg indoor unit. Just will have a b/g 2.4 ghz wireless instead of bgn 2.4ghz wireless.

in other words if the changes have been made at office from 25M bonded to 55M bonded and not seeing results likehood of upgrade to 589 resolving issue is slim.
I have even had to downgrade 55M bonded back to 25M as not enough headroom to support stable service.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

10 of 12 (963 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2014 7:31:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

my thoughts wrote:

I think the telephone rep messed up in a big way by shipping the NVG 589 in the first place.

my thoughts wrote:

I think the telephone rep messed up in a big way by shipping the NVG 589 in the first place.

11 of 12 (937 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2014 2:08:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

my thoughts wrote:

As both the 589 and 3812 inid are bonded do not need to change RG. The inid will support 55M profile as will the i38hg indoor unit. ...

This (that the 3812 could handle the 55Mbps profile) is something that I did not know.

my thoughts wrote:

As both the 589 and 3812 inid are bonded do not need to change RG. The inid will support 55M profile as will the i38hg indoor unit. ...

This (that the 3812 could handle the 55Mbps profile) is something that I did not know.

12 of 12 (918 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments