Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted May 29, 2014
5:41:43 AM
View profile
Upgrading to 45Mbps, but when does it start?

A tech visited my home on Monday to fix a problem. I asked about the possibility of upgrading to 45Mbps. He said it was possible and proceded to work 2 hours on upgrading everything.

But he wasn't able to get the speed turned on because it was a holiday - he said. Tomorrow, first thing - he said. Hasn't happened.

I've tried to find out when it will be "turned on" but am only hearing it takes 5-7 days to activate.

I called to try to find out why but got no good response. (My supervisor told me - I was told)

Is this normal? Do I just keep testing the speed to see when the switch is flipped?

A tech visited my home on Monday to fix a problem. I asked about the possibility of upgrading to 45Mbps. He said it was possible and proceded to work 2 hours on upgrading everything.

But he wasn't able to get the speed turned on because it was a holiday - he said. Tomorrow, first thing - he said. Hasn't happened.

I've tried to find out when it will be "turned on" but am only hearing it takes 5-7 days to activate.

I called to try to find out why but got no good response. (My supervisor told me - I was told)

Is this normal? Do I just keep testing the speed to see when the switch is flipped?

Upgrading to 45Mbps, but when does it start?

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2014 7:16:20 AM
(0)
Employee
Several things have to happen...
1.. you are (were) a single pair install on 32M profile less than 2200 feet with good SN margin and max sync rate of 40M plus.
2... a second pair needs to be assigned to your account.
3... your account needs to be provisioned for bonded install.
4... your account needs to be set up for 55M profile 45M internet
5... if an existing account your account has to be released by tech at time of install bonded.
6... the 2nd line conditions need to be made at crossbox, serving terminal, NID, home run cat5, jack.
7... your RG needs to be 589 if not needs to be changed.
8... both broadband 1 and 2 need to be solid green with service light on.
9... once connected to internet direct browser to 192.168.1.254 verify profile
10. Perform hardwired speed test with no other services ib use to verify speed.

Suspect some of above was performed by tech $(wiring and RG) now waiting on rest...
when all office work is done someone needs to release the new profile to your existing account... this normally the responsibility of tech who is doing upgrade.
Several things have to happen...
1.. you are (were) a single pair install on 32M profile less than 2200 feet with good SN margin and max sync rate of 40M plus.
2... a second pair needs to be assigned to your account.
3... your account needs to be provisioned for bonded install.
4... your account needs to be set up for 55M profile 45M internet
5... if an existing account your account has to be released by tech at time of install bonded.
6... the 2nd line conditions need to be made at crossbox, serving terminal, NID, home run cat5, jack.
7... your RG needs to be 589 if not needs to be changed.
8... both broadband 1 and 2 need to be solid green with service light on.
9... once connected to internet direct browser to 192.168.1.254 verify profile
10. Perform hardwired speed test with no other services ib use to verify speed.

Suspect some of above was performed by tech $(wiring and RG) now waiting on rest...
when all office work is done someone needs to release the new profile to your existing account... this normally the responsibility of tech who is doing upgrade.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Upgrading to 45Mbps, but when does it start?

2 of 20 (1,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2014 9:45:34 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by nashman320 on May 29, 2014 at 9:46:14 AM

I texted the tech who had done the install and he apologized for not being in touch and assured me I was in process.

A few pointers to Uverse (at least in my opinion)

• Create an automated way to see the progress of work. It's annoying to have to be left guessing on progress. Did everyone go on vacation? Fall down a well? Forget about me?
  • I would have upgraded speed long ago - if I had known it was possible. I had chatted with reps who told me it wasn't possible and I'd receive notification when it was. I checked my account online (often) which also didn't indicate the possiblity. How many of my neighbors are like me - in the dark as to upgrade options?

I texted the tech who had done the install and he apologized for not being in touch and assured me I was in process.

A few pointers to Uverse (at least in my opinion)

• Create an automated way to see the progress of work. It's annoying to have to be left guessing on progress. Did everyone go on vacation? Fall down a well? Forget about me?
  • I would have upgraded speed long ago - if I had known it was possible. I had chatted with reps who told me it wasn't possible and I'd receive notification when it was. I checked my account online (often) which also didn't indicate the possiblity. How many of my neighbors are like me - in the dark as to upgrade options?

[ Edited ]
3 of 20 (1,039 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2014 12:45:45 PM
(0)
Employee
To back up, you had service... which?
What was your best internet speed that was available. .. 18 or 24?
Do you currently have a 589 RG... if yes is both broadband 1 AND 2 solid?
To back up, you had service... which?
What was your best internet speed that was available. .. 18 or 24?
Do you currently have a 589 RG... if yes is both broadband 1 AND 2 solid?
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 20 (1,024 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2014 12:53:47 PM
(0)
Employee
If your previous best internet speed was 18M limited to 25M profile would explain why upgrade was not possible AND may still not be possible is conditions are not meet. If this is the case you went from a single pair 25M profile to a bonded 25M profile. The best internet speed would still he 18M Max Plus.... not saying this is tour case but if previous told faster speed was not available MAY be your case.

on the att uverse website a section called wheres my tech helps to track scheduled appointment but to my knowledge does not show administration work such as billing approving increased chatges or engineering verifing service capabilities.
If your previous best internet speed was 18M limited to 25M profile would explain why upgrade was not possible AND may still not be possible is conditions are not meet. If this is the case you went from a single pair 25M profile to a bonded 25M profile. The best internet speed would still he 18M Max Plus.... not saying this is tour case but if previous told faster speed was not available MAY be your case.

on the att uverse website a section called wheres my tech helps to track scheduled appointment but to my knowledge does not show administration work such as billing approving increased chatges or engineering verifing service capabilities.

5 of 20 (1,024 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2014 3:44:08 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have 18M although it's testing slightly higher since the work in my house was done.  ( it was routinely testing 12M-14M, now 15M-20M) Maybe it's my imagination.

I won't pretend to understand the technology involved. As a customer all I want is faster speeds. The tech who came to my house was great, no complaints.

To a laymen, just run a cable to my house and hook me up. With xfinity, they came to my house and 45 minutes later I was good to go.

I like uverse (lots more HD), just slow internet. 

I have 18M although it's testing slightly higher since the work in my house was done.  ( it was routinely testing 12M-14M, now 15M-20M) Maybe it's my imagination.

I won't pretend to understand the technology involved. As a customer all I want is faster speeds. The tech who came to my house was great, no complaints.

To a laymen, just run a cable to my house and hook me up. With xfinity, they came to my house and 45 minutes later I was good to go.

I like uverse (lots more HD), just slow internet. 

6 of 20 (1,006 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2014 7:28:24 PM
(0)
Employee
Again which RG... point your browser to 192.168.1.254 and post stats.

If the Max sync rate... SN margin and loop attenuation is not there will not get 45M aka POWER internet as need bonded 55M profile.

I would like to think tech knew what could be delivered but recently had a repair for poor service quality issues. A previous tech had upgraded customer to 55M profile with Max sync rate of 57M... noway was this going to work had to chat to have profile return to binded 25M and internet returned to 18. Billing department then had to adjust bill saving customer $20 per month. You are aware that the price increase is $20 a month to support POWER correct?
Again which RG... point your browser to 192.168.1.254 and post stats.

If the Max sync rate... SN margin and loop attenuation is not there will not get 45M aka POWER internet as need bonded 55M profile.

I would like to think tech knew what could be delivered but recently had a repair for poor service quality issues. A previous tech had upgraded customer to 55M profile with Max sync rate of 57M... noway was this going to work had to chat to have profile return to binded 25M and internet returned to 18. Billing department then had to adjust bill saving customer $20 per month. You are aware that the price increase is $20 a month to support POWER correct?

7 of 20 (986 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2014 3:22:53 AM
(0)
Teacher

RG 589, green lights - broadband 1/2/service. They will cut my bill for 3 months, to an advantageous point, at least for a while. I'd be happy if I got to 24M, but thought why not try for 45M.  

My home appears to be well located, just off a main drag, inner city. AT&T trucks have been daily features on this main drag for months. Lots of new construction. AT&T Is advertising 45M service here in Nashville. I remain hopeful.

RG 589, green lights - broadband 1/2/service. They will cut my bill for 3 months, to an advantageous point, at least for a while. I'd be happy if I got to 24M, but thought why not try for 45M.  

My home appears to be well located, just off a main drag, inner city. AT&T trucks have been daily features on this main drag for months. Lots of new construction. AT&T Is advertising 45M service here in Nashville. I remain hopeful.

8 of 20 (961 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2014 4:25:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru
Which part of Nashville? I used to live in Bellevue. My old address only shows 18 and below available.
Which part of Nashville? I used to live in Bellevue. My old address only shows 18 and below available.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 20 (955 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2014 5:16:58 AM
(0)
Teacher

I live in 12South. Formerly in Bellevue.

My profile also shows only 18 and below available. That's what's frustrating about the process.

It sounds like uverse has to physically come to your home and upgrade everything before it can change your profile. It's a chicken and egg kind of thing.

The tech who came to my house, initially said no to upgrading, but hesitated and began checking things, online and at the connection to my house. Then he said it appeared I could upgrade and began changing out equipment and checking and rechecking things.

That's a point I was trying to make, how can the average, non-techie customer, know if they can upgrade, if you have to upgrade the infrastructure before it can show up in your profile?

It seems like uverse is leaving money on the table.

Maybe, ultimately, I can't upgrade - we will see.

I live in 12South. Formerly in Bellevue.

My profile also shows only 18 and below available. That's what's frustrating about the process.

It sounds like uverse has to physically come to your home and upgrade everything before it can change your profile. It's a chicken and egg kind of thing.

The tech who came to my house, initially said no to upgrading, but hesitated and began checking things, online and at the connection to my house. Then he said it appeared I could upgrade and began changing out equipment and checking and rechecking things.

That's a point I was trying to make, how can the average, non-techie customer, know if they can upgrade, if you have to upgrade the infrastructure before it can show up in your profile?

It seems like uverse is leaving money on the table.

Maybe, ultimately, I can't upgrade - we will see.

10 of 20 (942 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2014 10:49:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru
Uverse is new technology on old infrastructure. Not like cable where the cable and equipment is all fairly new. I prefer Uverse over cable internet. No offense but I have always wondered why people need such high speeds (45, 300, etc.). I don't see the benefit if you are a residential user. A business maybe but not a house.
Uverse is new technology on old infrastructure. Not like cable where the cable and equipment is all fairly new. I prefer Uverse over cable internet. No offense but I have always wondered why people need such high speeds (45, 300, etc.). I don't see the benefit if you are a residential user. A business maybe but not a house.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 20 (912 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2014 5:21:19 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'll admit it's not necessary to have 45M. But I watch a lot of YouTube and the like and it gets old having it stutter and stop. With xfinity I averaged 30-35M and it spoils you with how fast things work. I spend roughly the same and top out at 14M on a good day.  

I'll stay with uverse because it far exceeds xfinity with HD channels. My picture quality is great. I'll live with slower speeds. 

I'll admit it's not necessary to have 45M. But I watch a lot of YouTube and the like and it gets old having it stutter and stop. With xfinity I averaged 30-35M and it spoils you with how fast things work. I spend roughly the same and top out at 14M on a good day.  

I'll stay with uverse because it far exceeds xfinity with HD channels. My picture quality is great. I'll live with slower speeds. 

12 of 20 (894 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2014 10:23:24 PM
(0)
Employee
Still waiting to hear about your RG stats... is the bandwidth there?

The 24M internet is only available on a single pair install less than 2200 feet with good max sync around 40M plus down 6M to 7M up. The profile is 32/5 need 20 to 25% above profile. As could only have 18M internet before likely did not qualify for single pair install. The bonded 55M profile is basically 2 of 32M profiles. If max sync up.. down.. SN... and attenuation are not there would expect to stay on your pre existing 25M/2M profile with 18M internet.

Any word if upgrade is going through?

once the 17a with vectoring is released you may be able to get 45 but the 45s will be able to get 75 if willing to pay...
Still waiting to hear about your RG stats... is the bandwidth there?

The 24M internet is only available on a single pair install less than 2200 feet with good max sync around 40M plus down 6M to 7M up. The profile is 32/5 need 20 to 25% above profile. As could only have 18M internet before likely did not qualify for single pair install. The bonded 55M profile is basically 2 of 32M profiles. If max sync up.. down.. SN... and attenuation are not there would expect to stay on your pre existing 25M/2M profile with 18M internet.

Any word if upgrade is going through?

once the 17a with vectoring is released you may be able to get 45 but the 45s will be able to get 75 if willing to pay...

13 of 20 (878 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2014 3:53:33 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by nashman320 on May 31, 2014 at 4:12:21 AM

No word on upgrade. What RG stats can I provide? It's a NVG589, service and Broadband 1/2 lights on solidly.

I did text the tech on Wednesday who said they were working on it and apologized for not being in touch. I tested 15M this morning, but was surprisingly testing 6/7M last night with TV stuttering a lot. 

Downstream Sync Rate (kbps)1289512408
Upstream Sync Rate (kbps)10141014
Downstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps)2496859576

This help?

No word on upgrade. What RG stats can I provide? It's a NVG589, service and Broadband 1/2 lights on solidly.

I did text the tech on Wednesday who said they were working on it and apologized for not being in touch. I tested 15M this morning, but was surprisingly testing 6/7M last night with TV stuttering a lot. 

Downstream Sync Rate (kbps)1289512408
Upstream Sync Rate (kbps)10141014
Downstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps)2496859576

This help?

[ Edited ]
14 of 20 (863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2014 7:22:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yes.  You have two lines and you are configured for a 25 Mbps profile, the kind of bonded-pair profile that is used to provide service over long distances, not the high speed (55 Mbps) profile used to provide more bandwidth over short distances.

Your second line shows the raw capability of pushing 59 Mbps over that line.  The first line, however, shows that it can only do 25 Mbps.  That appears to indicate some issue with that line that really ought to be corrected before they put you on the 55 Mbps profile.  Given that number from the second line, you do seem to be close enough that they should be able to get you working on Turbo.

Yes.  You have two lines and you are configured for a 25 Mbps profile, the kind of bonded-pair profile that is used to provide service over long distances, not the high speed (55 Mbps) profile used to provide more bandwidth over short distances.

Your second line shows the raw capability of pushing 59 Mbps over that line.  The first line, however, shows that it can only do 25 Mbps.  That appears to indicate some issue with that line that really ought to be corrected before they put you on the 55 Mbps profile.  Given that number from the second line, you do seem to be close enough that they should be able to get you working on Turbo.

15 of 20 (845 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2014 10:29:14 PM
(0)
Employee
As OP us now bonded install... the options are either bonded 25 with Max Plus or 55 with Power.

The Turbo is single install only.

Considering line1 numbers surprised OP was even on a 25 profile should have been 19 with Max 12M as best internet.
As OP us now bonded install... the options are either bonded 25 with Max Plus or 55 with Power.

The Turbo is single install only.

Considering line1 numbers surprised OP was even on a 25 profile should have been 19 with Max 12M as best internet.

16 of 20 (829 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2014 10:39:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Sorry, I used the word "Turbo" (24) when I meant to use "Power" (45).

Good point about line 1.  They may have connected the old line 1 to the line 2 port of the NVG 589.

Sorry, I used the word "Turbo" (24) when I meant to use "Power" (45).

Good point about line 1.  They may have connected the old line 1 to the line 2 port of the NVG 589.

17 of 20 (815 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2014 8:45:21 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by nashman320 on Jun 2, 2014 at 8:46:00 AM

Word from the tech this morning - On paper(online), my neighborhood is supposed to already be prepared for the higher speeds. They are working to upgrade whatever is lacking to make it happen.

I will update here, if/when it happens.

Thanks for the help.

Word from the tech this morning - On paper(online), my neighborhood is supposed to already be prepared for the higher speeds. They are working to upgrade whatever is lacking to make it happen.

I will update here, if/when it happens.

Thanks for the help.

[ Edited ]
18 of 20 (767 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2014 9:13:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You have a line problem and a profile configuration issue keeping you from Power (45 Mbps).  The line problem must be fixed before the configuration may be changed.

A tech needs to come fix your line problem.  Once that is fixed, they can upgrade your profile.  Once your profile is upgraded to 55 Mbps, they can give you 45 Mbps HSI.

Your neighborhood seems to be ready for Power, because you're almost there yourself.

You have a line problem and a profile configuration issue keeping you from Power (45 Mbps).  The line problem must be fixed before the configuration may be changed.

A tech needs to come fix your line problem.  Once that is fixed, they can upgrade your profile.  Once your profile is upgraded to 55 Mbps, they can give you 45 Mbps HSI.

Your neighborhood seems to be ready for Power, because you're almost there yourself.

19 of 20 (761 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2014 1:32:30 PM
(1)
Teacher
Edited by nashman320 on Sep 11, 2014 at 5:58:33 PM
I thought I'd follow up to this because, after 3 months, I finally got 45Mbps speed.
I let things drop in June when no one would get back to me regarding upgrading my service.
Then a couple of weeks ago, the TV sevice started "freezing", "stuttering" whatever you call it.
A tech came and repaired the service. "Can I get 45 speed?" I asked. After testing things outside the house (and replacing a "card" in the box) he said no problem, call uverse to get it started.
Of course I call uverse and am told 45 speeds aren't available in Nashville. Not true I say, can I talk to someone higher up? The next person says it is available, just not at your address. "But it shows as available to both my neighbors, how come?" This went on for a couple of days before I finally found a rep who did some digging and agreed that I should be able to get it. So a tech was dispatched to bring new equipment. Now I told them that I already had the needed equipment, but of course I was mistaken - I was told. The tech arrived and after agreeing that I already had the correct equipment, began trying to figure out why the 45 service wasn't working. An hour and two additional techs later the last one found the problem. The original install had left two wires able to touch, in the wall. That was the technical issue.
I do appreciate that the determination that the techs showed in figuring out the issue. They pulled the last tech off another job, to find the problem.
It is frustrating that it took repeated calls and demands to move up the chain to convince people that I could get 45 speeds.
I advise folks to do your research and be persistant.
I thought I'd follow up to this because, after 3 months, I finally got 45Mbps speed.
I let things drop in June when no one would get back to me regarding upgrading my service.
Then a couple of weeks ago, the TV sevice started "freezing", "stuttering" whatever you call it.
A tech came and repaired the service. "Can I get 45 speed?" I asked. After testing things outside the house (and replacing a "card" in the box) he said no problem, call uverse to get it started.
Of course I call uverse and am told 45 speeds aren't available in Nashville. Not true I say, can I talk to someone higher up? The next person says it is available, just not at your address. "But it shows as available to both my neighbors, how come?" This went on for a couple of days before I finally found a rep who did some digging and agreed that I should be able to get it. So a tech was dispatched to bring new equipment. Now I told them that I already had the needed equipment, but of course I was mistaken - I was told. The tech arrived and after agreeing that I already had the correct equipment, began trying to figure out why the 45 service wasn't working. An hour and two additional techs later the last one found the problem. The original install had left two wires able to touch, in the wall. That was the technical issue.
I do appreciate that the determination that the techs showed in figuring out the issue. They pulled the last tech off another job, to find the problem.
It is frustrating that it took repeated calls and demands to move up the chain to convince people that I could get 45 speeds.
I advise folks to do your research and be persistant.

[ Edited ]
20 of 20 (339 Views)