Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 4, 2013
6:06:41 PM
Upgrade from 18 to 24

I tried to get the upgrade from 18 to 24 and I'm being told a tech has to come out for this which I don't understand.  My install is a straight run of RG6 from the NID to my RG.  I have a 3801HGV and according to realtime my recomended profile should be 24, why do they tell me a tech visit is required?

I tried to get the upgrade from 18 to 24 and I'm being told a tech has to come out for this which I don't understand.  My install is a straight run of RG6 from the NID to my RG.  I have a 3801HGV and according to realtime my recomended profile should be 24, why do they tell me a tech visit is required?

Upgrade from 18 to 24

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2013 6:11:17 PM
(0)
Tutor
Also for the record I am internet only, no tv or voice service currently.
Also for the record I am internet only, no tv or voice service currently.

Re: Upgrade from 18 to 24

2 of 9 (357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2013 9:51:19 PM
(0)
Employee
Two thoughts
1) currently al 18, 24, and 45 internet tiers are full tech installs only...no customer self install option available. As your moving to 24 internet only, the system probably auto flagged the order due to guidelines.

2) your current 25 M profile only supports up to 18 HSIA, to upgrade HSIA speed to 24 your profile needs to be changed to 32M. While your line stats look good a tech needs to verify install conditions that the new profile will function properly.
Two thoughts
1) currently al 18, 24, and 45 internet tiers are full tech installs only...no customer self install option available. As your moving to 24 internet only, the system probably auto flagged the order due to guidelines.

2) your current 25 M profile only supports up to 18 HSIA, to upgrade HSIA speed to 24 your profile needs to be changed to 32M. While your line stats look good a tech needs to verify install conditions that the new profile will function properly.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 9 (334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2013 10:32:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the reply, sadly that means I will likely have to stay on 18 since I'm not really interested in missing a day of work just to get a little bit faster internet..  :\

Thanks for the reply, sadly that means I will likely have to stay on 18 since I'm not really interested in missing a day of work just to get a little bit faster internet..  :\

4 of 9 (330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2013 11:43:41 PM
(0)
Employee
In reviewing your post, I see your on RG6 (coax), the upper tier speeds need to be cat5 from Nid to RG, so your home run wire will need to be replaced, again another reason for required tech visit.
In reviewing your post, I see your on RG6 (coax), the upper tier speeds need to be cat5 from Nid to RG, so your home run wire will need to be replaced, again another reason for required tech visit.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 9 (322 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2013 2:49:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by Darknessrise on Oct 6, 2013 at 2:50:00 PM

my thoughts wrote:

They're forcing all 24 Mbps installs to cat5 now? I've had coax for so long and was thinking of getting Max Turbo.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.

my thoughts wrote:

They're forcing all 24 Mbps installs to cat5 now? I've had coax for so long and was thinking of getting Max Turbo.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
6 of 9 (278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2013 3:22:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

Makes no sense to me either, I've ethernet over coax hit speeds in the mid 80Mbps range no issue, in addition this must be very new because the rg6 install I have now (which used to support 3 hd streams before I cancelled tv) is self installed.  Seems like excuses to me (not from you my thoughts) because my line stats clearly support the 32/5 profile, almost like they want to make sure to leave the option of me adding back TV. 

Makes no sense to me either, I've ethernet over coax hit speeds in the mid 80Mbps range no issue, in addition this must be very new because the rg6 install I have now (which used to support 3 hd streams before I cancelled tv) is self installed.  Seems like excuses to me (not from you my thoughts) because my line stats clearly support the 32/5 profile, almost like they want to make sure to leave the option of me adding back TV. 

7 of 9 (271 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2013 5:33:03 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by my thoughts on Oct 6, 2013 at 5:35:27 PM

Since the beginning of this year a very strong push to move all installs to cat5 from NID to RG.
As future higher internet become available,the prep work is to do all installs for easy upgrade to bonded pair now.
New NID, new protector,new vdsl splitter, verifed ground wire installed.
Future just need to provide 2nd pair to NID and rewire jack at RG.

Additionally any frequent dispatches on repairs are to be upgraded NID and new cat5 home runs to RG,
all RGs upgraded to 3801 or if inid to 589, again only for frequent dispatched repairs.

Older coax with multiple fail points in converter at NiD, diplexers, coax ends, wall plates, and possible rg59 cable install of rg6 says run new wire leave old alone.
If moving from cable to Uverse and future move back, all old cable install should be there without ATT improving your coax lines.

Since the beginning of this year a very strong push to move all installs to cat5 from NID to RG.
As future higher internet become available,the prep work is to do all installs for easy upgrade to bonded pair now.
New NID, new protector,new vdsl splitter, verifed ground wire installed.
Future just need to provide 2nd pair to NID and rewire jack at RG.

Additionally any frequent dispatches on repairs are to be upgraded NID and new cat5 home runs to RG,
all RGs upgraded to 3801 or if inid to 589, again only for frequent dispatched repairs.

Older coax with multiple fail points in converter at NiD, diplexers, coax ends, wall plates, and possible rg59 cable install of rg6 says run new wire leave old alone.
If moving from cable to Uverse and future move back, all old cable install should be there without ATT improving your coax lines.

[ Edited ]
8 of 9 (262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 1:18:19 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi kalel999,

As my thoughts stated, the 18M internet speed and higher do require a tech install, but I would be glad to work with you to see if there is something we can do to assist you without the aid of a technician. I will be sending you a private message to gather some account information, so be on the lookout for it.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hi kalel999,

As my thoughts stated, the 18M internet speed and higher do require a tech install, but I would be glad to work with you to see if there is something we can do to assist you without the aid of a technician. I will be sending you a private message to gather some account information, so be on the lookout for it.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 9 (237 Views)