Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 9, 2013
11:33:12 PM
View profile
Upgrade Installation Charge

Can anyone explain to me why I would need a tech to come out simply to upgrade from Max 12MB to Max Turbo 24MB?

I live in a new community, fiber runs to the node and fiber to my home. Other than possibly making a change to the "box" on the side of my house is there anything that the tech will do that actually warrants a charge of $99? I see AT&T trucks out in my neighborhood everyday so it's not that we're "out of the way". Just seems a bit steep to have someone come out to flip a switch or install a different filter.

Thanks!

Can anyone explain to me why I would need a tech to come out simply to upgrade from Max 12MB to Max Turbo 24MB?

I live in a new community, fiber runs to the node and fiber to my home. Other than possibly making a change to the "box" on the side of my house is there anything that the tech will do that actually warrants a charge of $99? I see AT&T trucks out in my neighborhood everyday so it's not that we're "out of the way". Just seems a bit steep to have someone come out to flip a switch or install a different filter.

Thanks!

Upgrade Installation Charge

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 4:31:11 AM
(0)
Employee
Many PRO (3), ELITE (6), AND MAX (12) intalls could have been CSI (CUstomer Self Installs) where equipment is sent, tech gets Signal to NID, customer is responsible for Inside wiring (IW), Speeds above 12M require cat5 homerun installation with new jack and extensive testing not performed on CSI when RG is not up.

To ensure the best possible experience, the system requires full tech installation if you order any speeds above 12.
This prevents someone with old quad wiring, multiple phone jack locations from trying to circumvent the process by ordering 12 and then upgrading after received equipment on a CSI.

As techs are dynamically dispatched (next job in system to next qualified tech available) trucks in neighborhood has nothing to do with your individual scheduled appointment.

The tech not flip the switch, chats in for upgrade. Tech deals with any wiring issues and required test procedures.
Many PRO (3), ELITE (6), AND MAX (12) intalls could have been CSI (CUstomer Self Installs) where equipment is sent, tech gets Signal to NID, customer is responsible for Inside wiring (IW), Speeds above 12M require cat5 homerun installation with new jack and extensive testing not performed on CSI when RG is not up.

To ensure the best possible experience, the system requires full tech installation if you order any speeds above 12.
This prevents someone with old quad wiring, multiple phone jack locations from trying to circumvent the process by ordering 12 and then upgrading after received equipment on a CSI.

As techs are dynamically dispatched (next job in system to next qualified tech available) trucks in neighborhood has nothing to do with your individual scheduled appointment.

The tech not flip the switch, chats in for upgrade. Tech deals with any wiring issues and required test procedures.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Upgrade Installation Charge

2 of 13 (769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 5:42:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

They have lifted the restriction preventing FTTH customers from getting 24 Mbps?

They have lifted the restriction preventing FTTH customers from getting 24 Mbps?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 13 (758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 6:19:07 AM
(0)
Scholar

If this is the case, why does a tech have to come out to upgrade my Internet from 768k to 3mb? This really gets my goat bad.

If this is the case, why does a tech have to come out to upgrade my Internet from 768k to 3mb? This really gets my goat bad.

4 of 13 (754 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 6:34:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

grabacontroller wrote:

You've opened your own thread to address that question, and I've been trying to answer it there.  Cross posting can cause confusion.

grabacontroller wrote:

You've opened your own thread to address that question, and I've been trying to answer it there.  Cross posting can cause confusion.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 13 (746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 6:54:03 AM
(0)
Employee
JefferMC, if FTTP is GPON may now have Max Turbo, BPON is still restricted to Max Plus.
JefferMC, if FTTP is GPON may now have Max Turbo, BPON is still restricted to Max Plus.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 13 (742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 7:35:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Ah, thanks for that info, my thoughts.

Ah, thanks for that info, my thoughts.

7 of 13 (737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 5:05:42 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by erawk on Dec 10, 2013 at 5:06:27 PM

Thanks for your reply!

My current setup uses the U-Verse provided 2-Wire 3801HGV. Fiber terminates in the HG's ONT Port from directly from an RJ45 jack in my wall, connected with Cat 5e. I don't use the HG's wireless functionality as I've found them to be subpar at handling multiple devices. Addtionally this router/gateway doesn't support N speeds, not that any of this affects the installation, js. 

Based on your explaination I don't see any need for any additonal installation, other than someone "flipping a switch." My home was built in 2010 and, as I've mentioned I've got a fiber node less than 10m from home, with fiber running to the home's ONT port on my home. 

Am I missing somethign that would require a $99 tech installation fee?

Thanks for your reply!

My current setup uses the U-Verse provided 2-Wire 3801HGV. Fiber terminates in the HG's ONT Port from directly from an RJ45 jack in my wall, connected with Cat 5e. I don't use the HG's wireless functionality as I've found them to be subpar at handling multiple devices. Addtionally this router/gateway doesn't support N speeds, not that any of this affects the installation, js. 

Based on your explaination I don't see any need for any additonal installation, other than someone "flipping a switch." My home was built in 2010 and, as I've mentioned I've got a fiber node less than 10m from home, with fiber running to the home's ONT port on my home. 

[ Edited ]
8 of 13 (711 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 8:44:11 AM
(0)
Scholar

I am a little confused why you would need a tech install to upgrade internet.  I upgraded my internet  from 12 to 24 and asked if a tech install was needed and was told no.  It is a profile change.  I then thanked him and hung up the phone and went to my computer to check my internet speed and was receiving the 24MG within 5 minutes of upgrading.  So I do not understand why you are telling people they need a tech install.  My upgrade was 6 months ago and I have not had any problems with my speed and a tech did not have to come out to do anything.

I am a little confused why you would need a tech install to upgrade internet.  I upgraded my internet  from 12 to 24 and asked if a tech install was needed and was told no.  It is a profile change.  I then thanked him and hung up the phone and went to my computer to check my internet speed and was receiving the 24MG within 5 minutes of upgrading.  So I do not understand why you are telling people they need a tech install.  My upgrade was 6 months ago and I have not had any problems with my speed and a tech did not have to come out to do anything.

9 of 13 (686 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 9:06:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

db821arc wrote:

If you are already running the 32 Mbps profile with no errors, then you probably could be upgraded to the 24 Mbps without a technician to verify your line. On the other hand, if you are running the 25 Mbps profile, then a technician would need to be dispatched (for the reasons described above) to upgrade you to the 32 Mbps profile so that your line would qualify for the 24 Mbps HSI service.

db821arc wrote:

If you are already running the 32 Mbps profile with no errors, then you probably could be upgraded to the 24 Mbps without a technician to verify your line. On the other hand, if you are running the 25 Mbps profile, then a technician would need to be dispatched (for the reasons described above) to upgrade you to the 32 Mbps profile so that your line would qualify for the 24 Mbps HSI service.

10 of 13 (681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 8:45:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

erawk wrote:

Thanks for your reply!

I spoke with AT&T today on the phone to try to figure some of this out. The CSR was amazingly helpful but both she and her Manager were unable to determine why a Tech would need to be dispatched for this upgrade. The CSR that I spoke to did manage to save me from some serious downtime. If I had proceeded to upgrade to 24MB, AT&T was going to close my existing account and create a new one with the upgraded speed. My internet service as well as TV and phone would've been completely shut off until the tech could setup my new higher speed service. My CSR and her Manager were both unsure as to why this was happening and after 45min we all gave up and I opt'd for the 18MB package.

Before I even hung up the phone, my speed had been increased and I was even getting over the 18MB download speed, so I'm happy about that. Hopefully AT&T will figure out how to get my speed upgraded to 24MB or even 45MB (since it's just started to be offered) without having to disrupt my service. I work from home and cannot be without internet.

erawk wrote:

Thanks for your reply!

I spoke with AT&T today on the phone to try to figure some of this out. The CSR was amazingly helpful but both she and her Manager were unable to determine why a Tech would need to be dispatched for this upgrade. The CSR that I spoke to did manage to save me from some serious downtime. If I had proceeded to upgrade to 24MB, AT&T was going to close my existing account and create a new one with the upgraded speed. My internet service as well as TV and phone would've been completely shut off until the tech could setup my new higher speed service. My CSR and her Manager were both unsure as to why this was happening and after 45min we all gave up and I opt'd for the 18MB package.

Before I even hung up the phone, my speed had been increased and I was even getting over the 18MB download speed, so I'm happy about that. Hopefully AT&T will figure out how to get my speed upgraded to 24MB or even 45MB (since it's just started to be offered) without having to disrupt my service. I work from home and cannot be without internet.

11 of 13 (655 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 9:34:58 PM
(0)
Employee
Thank you for sharing.
As previously posted some on FTTN could try to circumvent the standard process by ordering low once installed on 13Mprofile with 12M internet only try to upgrade to 18 or 24M without having inside wiring to support.

In your case as a FTTP install on 12M suspect your ONT is BPON which is restricted to 18M internet as maximum available.
To move above that offering will need to change out ONT (CIM tech not Uverse Premise Tech) for GBON ONT.
This is a service call currently $99.

In all likely hood your as fast as will be without upgrading. While not sure, suspect replacing ONT means closing one account and creating new resulting in both down time and loss of all DVR recordings. The DVR is registered to your existing account,a new creation will not be registered allowing recordings to be kept. Just a FYI, and thanks again for sharing your experience.
Thank you for sharing.
As previously posted some on FTTN could try to circumvent the standard process by ordering low once installed on 13Mprofile with 12M internet only try to upgrade to 18 or 24M without having inside wiring to support.

In your case as a FTTP install on 12M suspect your ONT is BPON which is restricted to 18M internet as maximum available.
To move above that offering will need to change out ONT (CIM tech not Uverse Premise Tech) for GBON ONT.

In all likely hood your as fast as will be without upgrading. While not sure, suspect replacing ONT means closing one account and creating new resulting in both down time and loss of all DVR recordings. The DVR is registered to your existing account,a new creation will not be registered allowing recordings to be kept. Just a FYI, and thanks again for sharing your experience.

12 of 13 (647 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 11:55:33 PM
(0)
Tutor

my thoughts wrote:
Thank you for sharing.

Now this is an explanation that makes sense!! Also I hadn't even considered the DVR thing, thanks for that!!

my thoughts wrote:
Thank you for sharing.

Now this is an explanation that makes sense!! Also I hadn't even considered the DVR thing, thanks for that!!

13 of 13 (642 Views)