Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 13, 2013
4:52:53 PM
View profile
Update rolling out - The good, the bad & the ugly - Please help
Edited by aviewer on Jul 13, 2013 at 7:09:22 PM

As some have posted there is a update rolling out. This is not the train wreck of the search and on-demand. It appears that  this update has changes that include -

Tips on the OK splash screen

Fewer clicks to reach the CC toggle.

Multiple Favorites guides

Improved picture

View next episode on recording stop menu

Please help. If anyone notices any other changes please post.

The good - The picture is great. It rivals FIOS. The CC access is improved, but, still not one button.

The bad - The favorites changes broke the ENTER button access to the favorites guide. It used to be that pressing ENTER- Down Arrow- OK displayed the favorites guide. With the new update - Pressing enter still produces a similar side  menu. The menu is improved - Favorites is at the top & CC farther down. If  pressing OK produced the Favorites guide, all would be well.  But, it does not. It produces another menu that starts with the full guide - which there is no need for - The full guide has it's own button.  And, a favorites guide button with the possiblity of additional favorites guides, Pressing OK on either the full guide or the Favorites highlights and checks the button & returns to the program that is playing.  NO guide -  Broken!

I have reported this to attcustomercare & working with them to resolve. The first they said I had a bad load & they reloaded. This did not help. They think it is just me. But, others have reported this behavior, earlier.

Please help - If you click the enter button & see CC in the side menu, you have the new update. If you have it, please try the favorites guide & post whether or not you get the guide displayed. If you do not have a favorites list, it is easy to build one with one channel.

The ugly - The tips on the OK splash screen. Not so much the meaningless drivel in the tips. That is easily ignored. Except for that poster that thought they were being reminded to pay their bill. The ugly part is that at&t would spend resources on it instead of something that can improve the system  - Such as testing to make sure it works - Such as - under the Main Menu swapping GUIDE at the top with Favorites (third) to make Favorites quicker to access (GUIDE already has its own button. It does not need to be first.  - Such as - checking usablity for more efficiencies. Such as listening to posters on what they need. OR, rather responding - Listening is of no value if it does not result in improvements.

View next episode on recording stop menu is only good if you want to erase later. If you erase first, the View next episode goes away. So, it needs a way to erase then view. Another button? or a set-up option. Also, it needs to be moved below erase on the menu.

As some have posted there is a update rolling out. This is not the train wreck of the search and on-demand. It appears that  this update has changes that include -

Tips on the OK splash screen

Fewer clicks to reach the CC toggle.

Multiple Favorites guides

Improved picture

View next episode on recording stop menu

Please help. If anyone notices any other changes please post.

The good - The picture is great. It rivals FIOS. The CC access is improved, but, still not one button.

The bad - The favorites changes broke the ENTER button access to the favorites guide. It used to be that pressing ENTER- Down Arrow- OK displayed the favorites guide. With the new update - Pressing enter still produces a similar side  menu. The menu is improved - Favorites is at the top & CC farther down. If  pressing OK produced the Favorites guide, all would be well.  But, it does not. It produces another menu that starts with the full guide - which there is no need for - The full guide has it's own button.  And, a favorites guide button with the possiblity of additional favorites guides, Pressing OK on either the full guide or the Favorites highlights and checks the button & returns to the program that is playing.  NO guide -  Broken!

I have reported this to attcustomercare & working with them to resolve. The first they said I had a bad load & they reloaded. This did not help. They think it is just me. But, others have reported this behavior, earlier.

Please help - If you click the enter button & see CC in the side menu, you have the new update. If you have it, please try the favorites guide & post whether or not you get the guide displayed. If you do not have a favorites list, it is easy to build one with one channel.

The ugly - The tips on the OK splash screen. Not so much the meaningless drivel in the tips. That is easily ignored. Except for that poster that thought they were being reminded to pay their bill. The ugly part is that at&t would spend resources on it instead of something that can improve the system  - Such as testing to make sure it works - Such as - under the Main Menu swapping GUIDE at the top with Favorites (third) to make Favorites quicker to access (GUIDE already has its own button. It does not need to be first.  - Such as - checking usablity for more efficiencies. Such as listening to posters on what they need. OR, rather responding - Listening is of no value if it does not result in improvements.

View next episode on recording stop menu is only good if you want to erase later. If you erase first, the View next episode goes away. So, it needs a way to erase then view. Another button? or a set-up option. Also, it needs to be moved below erase on the menu.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Update rolling out - The good, the bad & the ugly - Please help

[ Edited ]
42 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(42)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2013 4:02:16 AM
(0)
Mentor

I can't believe U-verse still doesn't have frame by frame. We had that on Brighthouse many years ago. Another thing Brighthouse does better is that it jumps to a recording channel if all streams are taken; whereas U-verse just kicks your tv off to a blue screen. That is freakin' annoying. Does Brighthouse own those features, or is U-verse just dropping the ball on those?

I can't believe U-verse still doesn't have frame by frame. We had that on Brighthouse many years ago. Another thing Brighthouse does better is that it jumps to a recording channel if all streams are taken; whereas U-verse just kicks your tv off to a blue screen. That is freakin' annoying. Does Brighthouse own those features, or is U-verse just dropping the ball on those?

Re: Update rolling out - The good, the bad & the ugly - Please help

31 of 43 (930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2013 10:45:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

my thoughts wrote:
The future is the future.... http://www.att.com/gen-mobile/press-room?pid=23506&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=35661
list future speed (profile not internet) up to 75 for DSL and 45 for adsl2+...

I clicked on this link and it 404'ed.  Maybe it's an employee only article?

my thoughts wrote:
The future is the future.... http://www.att.com/gen-mobile/press-room?pid=23506&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=35661
list future speed (profile not internet) up to 75 for DSL and 45 for adsl2+...

I clicked on this link and it 404'ed.  Maybe it's an employee only article?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

32 of 43 (896 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2013 10:56:05 AM
(0)
Employee
Google ATT VIP, need investments in wireless and wire line dated Nov 7,2012 is the attempt press room release of project VIP
Original uverse was project light speed,VIP is expansion of mobility, uverse, intro to digital life and auto
Google ATT VIP, need investments in wireless and wire line dated Nov 7,2012 is the attempt press room release of project VIP
Original uverse was project light speed,VIP is expansion of mobility, uverse, intro to digital life and auto
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

33 of 43 (889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2013 10:59:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
I tried the link & it loaded an att page that says - Page Not Found

The page you're looking for has moved,
been replaced, or is currently unavailable
to view.
I tried the link & it loaded an att page that says - Page Not Found

The page you're looking for has moved,
been replaced, or is currently unavailable
to view.

34 of 43 (885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2013 11:20:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by JefferMC on Jul 20, 2013 at 11:21:32 AM

This is the link I get when I browse through the PR archives through to 2012 Q4, Nov 7th:

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=23506&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=35661&mapcode=corporate|consumer

And, yeah, I remember this press release when it came out.

This is the link I get when I browse through the PR archives through to 2012 Q4, Nov 7th:

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=23506&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=35661&mapcode=corporate|consumer

And, yeah, I remember this press release when it came out.

[ Edited ]
35 of 43 (879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2013 11:48:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

36 of 43 (866 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 1:22:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Steven- wrote:

Yes U-Verse has dropped the ball on those two and I don't think that frame by frame slow motion or jumping to a channel when all streams are in use is a patented feature.   I have long noted that U-Verse needs a two minute warning like Comcast hasm, when the system knows that all streams are going to be tied up.

Steven- wrote:

Yes U-Verse has dropped the ball on those two and I don't think that frame by frame slow motion or jumping to a channel when all streams are in use is a patented feature.   I have long noted that U-Verse needs a two minute warning like Comcast hasm, when the system knows that all streams are going to be tied up.

37 of 43 (681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 8:41:28 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Steven- on Jul 23, 2013 at 8:42:39 PM

dhascall wrote:

Yes U-Verse has dropped the ball on those two and I don't think that frame by frame slow motion or jumping to a channel when all streams are in use is a patented feature.

It would be common sense that it shouldn't be patentable, but apparently Tivo patented and successfully defended in court fastforwarding and rewinding(they call it "time shift"). So those other features may be patentable as well.

dhascall wrote:

I have long noted that U-Verse needs a two minute warning like Comcast hasm, when the system knows that all streams are going to be tied up.

I think it would be better to jump to a recording channel for the people that like to sleep with the tv on, so the constant blue light in the room doesn't wake you up, or ruin your tv from burn-in.

dhascall wrote:

Yes U-Verse has dropped the ball on those two and I don't think that frame by frame slow motion or jumping to a channel when all streams are in use is a patented feature.

It would be common sense that it shouldn't be patentable, but apparently Tivo patented and successfully defended in court fastforwarding and rewinding(they call it "time shift"). So those other features may be patentable as well.

dhascall wrote:

I have long noted that U-Verse needs a two minute warning like Comcast hasm, when the system knows that all streams are going to be tied up.

I think it would be better to jump to a recording channel for the people that like to sleep with the tv on, so the constant blue light in the room doesn't wake you up, or ruin your tv from burn-in.

[ Edited ]
38 of 43 (633 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 9:30:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Steven- wrote:

dhascall wrote:

dhascall wrote:

The tv doesn't go to the blue screen until after 8hours of inactivity. If you typically sleep more than 8 hours than that isn't long enough, but for the majority of folks, it's long enough.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Steven- wrote:

dhascall wrote:

dhascall wrote:

The tv doesn't go to the blue screen until after 8hours of inactivity. If you typically sleep more than 8 hours than that isn't long enough, but for the majority of folks, it's long enough.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

39 of 43 (580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 7:01:40 AM
(0)
Mentor

No. When all the streams are used up the tv just goes to a blue screen with a message that all streams are taken, and that you need to stop one or watch a recording. Instead of doing that, it should jump to a recording channel.

I didn't know that the dvr would just show a blue screen after 8 hours of inactivity. Why the heck would it do that? Some people leave their tv's on for the pets when they leave...

No. When all the streams are used up the tv just goes to a blue screen with a message that all streams are taken, and that you need to stop one or watch a recording. Instead of doing that, it should jump to a recording channel.

I didn't know that the dvr would just show a blue screen after 8 hours of inactivity. Why the heck would it do that? Some people leave their tv's on for the pets when they leave...

40 of 43 (476 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 10:41:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Jul 25, 2013 at 10:45:56 AM

Steven- wrote:

First: point: as I  stated in another thread, AT&T really needs some advanced warning and at the least jump to a live channle instead of a blank screen with an error message.  I have suggested a "two minute warning" screen.  If nothing is chosen, it jumps to the first live channel:

Second point: To supposedly get EnergyStar compliance.  Some do use it as a pet setter (I do) and some don't.  AT&T must see it as a potential consumer hot button item as apparently they have asked if it is an issue on recent surveys.

Steven- wrote:

First: point: as I  stated in another thread, AT&T really needs some advanced warning and at the least jump to a live channle instead of a blank screen with an error message.  I have suggested a "two minute warning" screen.  If nothing is chosen, it jumps to the first live channel:

Second point: To supposedly get EnergyStar compliance.  Some do use it as a pet setter (I do) and some don't.  AT&T must see it as a potential consumer hot button item as apparently they have asked if it is an issue on recent surveys.

[ Edited ]
41 of 43 (440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 3:34:49 PM
(0)
Mentor

Didn't see it posted anywhere, or maybe I just missed it, but it seems that one of the "upgrades" in the new update is that the "Blue light" now goes out when the receiver is off. 

Didn't see it posted anywhere, or maybe I just missed it, but it seems that one of the "upgrades" in the new update is that the "Blue light" now goes out when the receiver is off. 

42 of 43 (400 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 11:57:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

gcotton69 wrote:

Indeed.  They listened on that one!

gcotton69 wrote:

Indeed.  They listened on that one!

43 of 43 (326 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments