Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 16, 2014
11:27:38 AM
View profile
Upcutting Commercials

Why do you continue to upcut network commercials when you run you local spots on several cable channels.  It's been an ongoing problem for sereral months.  This happens on your Dallas system.

Why do you continue to upcut network commercials when you run you local spots on several cable channels.  It's been an ongoing problem for sereral months.  This happens on your Dallas system.

Upcutting Commercials

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2014 6:38:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Huh?

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Huh?

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Upcutting Commercials

2 of 15 (642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2014 6:50:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

markhdtv wrote:

You mean like every TV provider in the nation does? It's a standard practice and in fact there's a signal that is sent from the channel operator to the tv provider as to when they can interject local commericals on the broadcast.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

markhdtv wrote:

You mean like every TV provider in the nation does? It's a standard practice and in fact there's a signal that is sent from the channel operator to the tv provider as to when they can interject local commericals on the broadcast.

-------

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 15 (639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2014 11:26:25 AM
(0)
Scholar

You think AT&T is bad at things like this?  When I had Comcast, it would replace entire blocks of overnight infomercials provided by the stations (e.g. GSN) with their own infomercials.  This caused a problem one year when Daylight Saving Time ended, but the computer that replaced the infomercials wasn't reset properly, so the last hour of actual programming would be replaced with Comcast-sold infomercials.

But oufanindallas is right - and I have also seen the local broadcast stations upcut commercials over network commercials (although I am not sure why the network would be showing a commercial at that time, as opposed to a static network screen of some sort, if it was reserved for the local affiliates).

You think AT&T is bad at things like this?  When I had Comcast, it would replace entire blocks of overnight infomercials provided by the stations (e.g. GSN) with their own infomercials.  This caused a problem one year when Daylight Saving Time ended, but the computer that replaced the infomercials wasn't reset properly, so the last hour of actual programming would be replaced with Comcast-sold infomercials.

But oufanindallas is right - and I have also seen the local broadcast stations upcut commercials over network commercials (although I am not sure why the network would be showing a commercial at that time, as opposed to a static network screen of some sort, if it was reserved for the local affiliates).

4 of 15 (603 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2014 12:41:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

That Don Guy wrote:

(although I am not sure why the network would be showing a commercial at that time, as opposed to a static network screen of some sort, if it was reserved for the local affiliates).

They do it so that in the event that the signal wasn't properly recieved or there is some error on the TV Provider's end with injecting local commericals, there isn't dead air on the channel.

-------

That Don Guy wrote:

(although I am not sure why the network would be showing a commercial at that time, as opposed to a static network screen of some sort, if it was reserved for the local affiliates).

They do it so that in the event that the signal wasn't properly recieved or there is some error on the TV Provider's end with injecting local commericals, there isn't dead air on the channel.

-------

5 of 15 (590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2014 7:44:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
It's only annoying (IMO) when the local commercial is a bit shorter than the national one and you catch the tail end of the national one.

Solution? Watch everything off the DVR and skip through them. Smiley Happy
It's only annoying (IMO) when the local commercial is a bit shorter than the national one and you catch the tail end of the national one.

Solution? Watch everything off the DVR and skip through them. Smiley Happy

6 of 15 (558 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2014 7:42:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Mar 18, 2014 at 7:43:47 AM

Maybe the OP is an ad salesman and is wondering where his ads are?  OR, he is a commercial actor and wanted to see himself?  IDK.

I will say that injected commercials from the cable system have been a problem since prehistoric times.  In 1985 or so, folks were up in arms (me too) when a NASCAR race was pre-empted by commercials.  Seriously.  Our local cable company had basically a VCR to play local commercials.  The system would listen for a tone in ESPN programming and it would play a two minute block of commercials.  After each 2 minute block, on the tape, was a tone that told the system to pause the tape and resume network programming.  Well, guess what?  That day's tape had been around the block a time or twenty and the 2 minute markers had worn out.  So it played 40 some minutes of commercials - until it ran out.  That was warped.

Maybe the OP is an ad salesman and is wondering where his ads are?  OR, he is a commercial actor and wanted to see himself?  IDK.

I will say that injected commercials from the cable system have been a problem since prehistoric times.  In 1985 or so, folks were up in arms (me too) when a NASCAR race was pre-empted by commercials.  Seriously.  Our local cable company had basically a VCR to play local commercials.  The system would listen for a tone in ESPN programming and it would play a two minute block of commercials.  After each 2 minute block, on the tape, was a tone that told the system to pause the tape and resume network programming.  Well, guess what?  That day's tape had been around the block a time or twenty and the 2 minute markers had worn out.  So it played 40 some minutes of commercials - until it ran out.  That was warped.

[ Edited ]
7 of 15 (530 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2014 8:52:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

dhascall wrote:

Prehistoric times? Did you know that DirecTV has the Caveman Channel AND the booga-booga network? If I don't see those...yah yah...

FWIW, the first MTV videos were played on-air via VCR.

dhascall wrote:

Prehistoric times? Did you know that DirecTV has the Caveman Channel AND the booga-booga network? If I don't see those...yah yah...

8 of 15 (497 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 4:54:45 AM
(0)
Employee

baseballisback wrote:

dhascall wrote:

WHAT?!?! I demand the Caveman channel in HD!!!

Smiley Very Happy

baseballisback wrote:

dhascall wrote:

WHAT?!?! I demand the Caveman channel in HD!!!

Smiley Very Happy

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 15 (474 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 5:59:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

...and on my iPad, and with VoD, and only with National Commercials.........

...and on my iPad, and with VoD, and only with National Commercials.........

10 of 15 (462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 11:46:45 AM
(0)
Scholar

baseballisback wrote:

I thought U-Verse has the booga-booga network on channel 652 (1652 in HD).

Oh, wait - that's the "boogity-boogity-boogity" channel, isn't it?

baseballisback wrote:

11 of 15 (440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2014 9:45:12 AM
(0)
Employee

That Don Guy wrote:

baseballisback wrote:

Let's go racing!!!

Smiley Very Happy

That Don Guy wrote:

baseballisback wrote:

Let's go racing!!!

Smiley Very Happy

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

12 of 15 (412 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2014 10:21:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Fox Mulder wrote:

That Don Guy wrote:

baseballisback wrote:

Let's go racing!!!

Smiley Very Happy

Be nice, Mr. Gordon. Be nice, Mr Harvick. Boogity, boogity, boogity! Let's go racing, boys! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8by2zu8PgQ

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Fox Mulder wrote:

That Don Guy wrote:

baseballisback wrote:

Let's go racing!!!

Smiley Very Happy

Be nice, Mr. Gordon. Be nice, Mr Harvick. Boogity, boogity, boogity! Let's go racing, boys! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8by2zu8PgQ

13 of 15 (402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2014 1:40:56 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by jeremy1069fm on Mar 20, 2014 at 1:42:20 PM

Time Warner used to blackout BET and Animal Planet with Infomercials of their own. Usually during certain blocks. Animal Planet's regular programming would be replaced with Access TV (Infomercials) from 2AM-8AM. BET would be replaced with Access TV, PIN (Product Information Network) or D2U (Direct 2 U Network) all Infomercials between 3AM and 8AM and all day on Sunday. 

Court TV (now TruTV) used to have a black screen with a touchtone audio effect for the cable systems to cue the local commercials. That would then be followed by network commercials. The cable system I remember watching it on didn't put any local commercials on that network, so you would see that black screen with the touchtones twice. One to tell the system to cue local commercials, and another to tell the cable system to return to the network feed. 

Way back when, going to guess the mid 1990s, the same cable system I'm talking about in regards to Court TV (not Time Warner, currently it's a Comcast system) they used to stick in local commercials from a VHS tape. The tapes would have lines across the screen, the picture would jump, swirv, one time you couldn't see the picture at all.  That was actually more common than not. 

Local avails (technical term) usually are timed specifically. If the cable system doesn't fill that time approximately (or overfills it) you're going to see some bloopers. 

Time Warner used to blackout BET and Animal Planet with Infomercials of their own. Usually during certain blocks. Animal Planet's regular programming would be replaced with Access TV (Infomercials) from 2AM-8AM. BET would be replaced with Access TV, PIN (Product Information Network) or D2U (Direct 2 U Network) all Infomercials between 3AM and 8AM and all day on Sunday. 

Court TV (now TruTV) used to have a black screen with a touchtone audio effect for the cable systems to cue the local commercials. That would then be followed by network commercials. The cable system I remember watching it on didn't put any local commercials on that network, so you would see that black screen with the touchtones twice. One to tell the system to cue local commercials, and another to tell the cable system to return to the network feed. 

Way back when, going to guess the mid 1990s, the same cable system I'm talking about in regards to Court TV (not Time Warner, currently it's a Comcast system) they used to stick in local commercials from a VHS tape. The tapes would have lines across the screen, the picture would jump, swirv, one time you couldn't see the picture at all.  That was actually more common than not. 

Local avails (technical term) usually are timed specifically. If the cable system doesn't fill that time approximately (or overfills it) you're going to see some bloopers. 

[ Edited ]
14 of 15 (380 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 3:15:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

jeremy1069fm wrote:

I believe it.  Technology has increased ten fold since the dinosaur days, lol.

jeremy1069fm wrote:

I believe it.  Technology has increased ten fold since the dinosaur days, lol.

15 of 15 (342 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments